Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

AR 4.3 (16) children (85) children's (145) children's book (19) children's books (27) children's fiction (23) children's literature (47) family (41) fantasy (179) fiction (252) food (427) funny (41) humor (147) illustrated (19) imagination (126) kids (20) Level M (28) M (41) meatballs (32) modern fantasy (30) picture (22) picture book (308) rain (19) read (24) read aloud (21) science (38) silly (39) tall tale (29) tall tales (33) weather (510)

• Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
• Publication date: 4/1/1982
• Pages: 32
• Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by
• Judi Barrett,
• Ron Barrett (Illustrator)
Instead of snow, wind, or rain, they get a different kind of weather that falls from the sky three times a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only bad part about living in Chewandswallow is that the people don't get their choice of what they'd like to fall from the sky. When the weather turns for the worst, citizens begin to worry! This is a great book for introducing food and weather into the class room.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason I liked this book is because of the illustrations. Each illustration had a consistent color palette. The colors chosen in each of the illustrations were hues of red, brown, dull yellow and black. The illustrations were also very detailed demonstrating different food objects coming down from the sky as the text described. The second reason I liked this book was because of the story line. I think the story line is playful and interesting for a young reader. The story line is about a town that receives each of their meals from the sky. The sky rains maple syrup or snows pancakes. The story line is unique. I think the central purpose of the story is just to be a fun, interesting, and comical story about a town whose weather is all food in order for the townspeople to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |
So I read this book in 6th grade and It made such an Impact on me. My Imagination ran wild!! So I looked for it and had to read it again. ( )
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
This is the original book version of the movie “cloudy with a chance of meatballs”. This is a great book that they can relate to using prior knowledge of either the movie or book and could be used to do a comparison and difference between the two media outlets. There is a general theme of food that is throughout the entirety of the book. It shows how people from different places live almost like cultural differences. This is seen when explaining how the people were confused that “there food came from the store and that they had to keep it in certain places” which was foreign to the people in the story. The story also uses different concepts like the idea of telling a story in another story and the idea of foreshadowing when the children talk about “the snow smelling like mashed potatoes”. ( )
  drhode3 | Mar 29, 2014 |
There are several reasons why I like this book. The writing and language of the story is imaginative and full of events. I was never bored while reading this book, but was anticipating what crazy event would happen next. I think we have all dreamed of living in a town where food fell from the sky and we could eat whenever we wanted. The story was very appealing to the senses because it makes your mouth water as you read. For example, “it rained soup and juice, it snowed mashed potatoes and gravy, and sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers.” The illustrations also appeal to the senses because they depict the deliciousness of the food. On one page, a man has an umbrella filled with gravy and on another page there is a pile of mashed potatoes the size of a mountain. During the entire story, they discuss the food like they discuss the weather. “Periods of peas and baked potatoes were followed by gradual clearing, with a wonderful jell-o setting in the west.” This descriptive language made me feel like I was living in the town. The story was extremely well developed because it tells you about the pleasant parts of living in the town then shifts to the dangers. It talks about eating themselves sick and always getting stomachaches and salt and pepper flowing everywhere so people couldn’t stop sneezing. This helped the story flow since it went from the good to the bad, which helped enhance the big idea of the story. The big idea was that things may seem great and fantastic at first, but there is always a downside. Just because something seems like a dream come true and something we have always wanted, doesn’t mean there are no dangers to it. It also tells you that using your imagination can be fun, but be careful what you wish for. ( )
  SaraColvin | Mar 27, 2014 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,235,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible