Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

Recently added byprivate library, vivianharris45, SEEC, sobcrca, learn2laugh, rainbowbrains, mejerrymouse

Summary:
This in the story of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, we are taken to the fantastic island of Chew and Swallow. This town is just like every other town, except for one thing: the weather consists of nothing but food! Each day, they are brought breakfast, a full meal of juice, eggs, sausage, and milk from the sky! It rains down everything they could ever want. The same happens at lunch and dinner. The menu is always changing. The town often keeps the leftovers in their refrigerators for snacks in between the showers of food. The towns sanitation department has the unique job of cleaning the streets of all the food. After a while, the food became larger and larger, making the falling of food more dangerous. Eventually, they were forced to make a boat of bread and escape the town. They started a new town. The townspeople said they biggest change was having to buy food instead of having it delivered via the sky to them.
Personal Reaction:
I did not realize that this was a book originally! After seeing the movie a few years back, I absolutely fell in love with the concept of food from the sky. When I found the book, I was so excited to see where the original ideas had came from. The illustrations in this book are perfect, and you really are drawn in to whats happening on this crazy island.
Extension Ideas:
1. Have students draw their perfect, or favorite, meal, falling from the sky.
2. Have a discussion about healthy food choices, including how much is an appropriate amount.
3. Create your own weather report, using the cafeteria menu as an idea sheet for the next three days.
  alexis.smith | Jul 14, 2014 |
• Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
• Publication date: 4/1/1982
• Pages: 32
• Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by
• Judi Barrett,
• Ron Barrett (Illustrator)
Instead of snow, wind, or rain, they get a different kind of weather that falls from the sky three times a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only bad part about living in Chewandswallow is that the people don't get their choice of what they'd like to fall from the sky. When the weather turns for the worst, citizens begin to worry! This is a great book for introducing food and weather into the class room.
  joey_spencer | May 13, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason I liked this book is because of the illustrations. Each illustration had a consistent color palette. The colors chosen in each of the illustrations were hues of red, brown, dull yellow and black. The illustrations were also very detailed demonstrating different food objects coming down from the sky as the text described. The second reason I liked this book was because of the story line. I think the story line is playful and interesting for a young reader. The story line is about a town that receives each of their meals from the sky. The sky rains maple syrup or snows pancakes. The story line is unique. I think the central purpose of the story is just to be a fun, interesting, and comical story about a town whose weather is all food in order for the townspeople to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |
So I read this book in 6th grade and It made such an Impact on me. My Imagination ran wild!! So I looked for it and had to read it again. ( )
  Mimi_styles | May 11, 2014 |
This is the original book version of the movie “cloudy with a chance of meatballs”. This is a great book that they can relate to using prior knowledge of either the movie or book and could be used to do a comparison and difference between the two media outlets. There is a general theme of food that is throughout the entirety of the book. It shows how people from different places live almost like cultural differences. This is seen when explaining how the people were confused that “there food came from the store and that they had to keep it in certain places” which was foreign to the people in the story. The story also uses different concepts like the idea of telling a story in another story and the idea of foreshadowing when the children talk about “the snow smelling like mashed potatoes”. ( )
  drhode3 | Mar 29, 2014 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible