Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

4,5332081,061 (4.24)40

My great-nephew's (4 yrs old) Mom was reading this and so I thought I'd give her a break (it was her 10+ time reading it) and I took over and shared a cute little story with a young reader.
How imaginative to have a town named Chewandswallow, where there are no grocery stores but each day your food is delivered by the weather - you could soup or milk showers, snow of mashed potatoes or peas, storms of hamburgers! So much fun but don't read it on an empty stomach! ( )
  cyderry | Apr 22, 2015 |
Up until recently, I had only seen the animated film based on this book. It is an imaginative, hilarious and, at times, somewhat scary tall-tale. The illustrations are detailed and fascinating and I'm sure were instrumental to the concept drawings for the film. I enjoyed all the quirky little touches, like a sign in a shop window reading 'Closed due to heavy food'. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
This book was always one of my favorites while I was growing up. I used to wish for it to rain hamburgers. How exciting it would be for the weather to be different kinds of food. This is a great book for kids with a wild imagination. ( )
  avery1809 | Apr 17, 2015 |
About the Author: Judi Barrett is the author of this book. She is a kindergarten teacher and a well known author for many more children's books.

Setting: The setting of this book starts off in the kitchen of a home. It then goes to the children's bedroom where the grandfather tells the bedtime story. The magical story takes place in ChewandSwallow.
Characters:There is not really a main character throughout the novel. The story begins with a young girl (her name is never mentioned) and her brother Henry, their grandfather, and their mother. The context of the story mainly takes place in the town Chewandswallow and none is really identified within the city.

Plot: The plot of this story begins as an ordinary day. Which creates the reality aspect of the novel. Then when the grandfather begins telling the bedtime story it takes the children for a wild adventure as he tells about Chewandswallow town. At Chewandswallow the water conditions consist of the town's meals for the day. There day is forecasted on tv and when the people of this town went outside they would take their plates and cups so they were prepared for the weather. Food would fall from the sky for each meal of the day. The people in the town were happy with the meals falling out of the sky until the weather got worse. The meals soon began to consist of burnt food or snowing cheese that made the town smell foul. A huge pancake fell on the school and meatballs were damaging houses. The town becomes a mess and people build boats out of huge stale bread to find a new land. They finally arrive in a small town were they have to learn a new lifestyle of buying their own food from grocery stores and preparing it themselves.

Theme: The theme of this book is weather and human environment interactions. Though the weather in this book is not like normal weather patterns, it shows visually and verbally how the Chewandswalllow connect with their odd weather patterns and environment.
Summary: This book is about life in the town of Chewandswallow. It starts out great with their weather consisting of breakfast lunch and dinner falling out of the sky instead of rain snow and sleet. The town people like their odd weather until the weather becomes bad and starts destroying the town. The town tries to build their own boats of a way to escape the catastrophe by looking for a place to live in a new town.

Two direct quotes from the novel: " So a decision was made to abandon the town of Chewandswallow. It was a matter of survival" pg.23

"It's funny, but even as we were sliding down the hill we thought we saw a giant pat of butter at the top, and we could almost smell mashed potatoes." pg. 29

Recommendations: This is a fun and entertaining book for children. It gets children to explore their imaginations by picturing the different things that are happening in the town of Chewandswallow. I think this is a well written and entertaining book. It would be a good book to relate with a science activity in the classroom or maybe related back to a food pyramid. ( )
  caitlynnb | Apr 15, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. One reason I like this book is due to creativity a plot line. While reading about all the crazy things that fall from the sky, one can not help geeting wraped up in the story. For example, as a reader it was easy to be jealous of the towns people when their school was closed due to a giant pancake. Another reason I like this stor is for its illustrations. Ron Barret does a great job with his style of drawings conveying what it would look like if food realy did fall from the sky.I also like the illustrations due to the small details not always included in the text. For example, the reasturant named "Ralph's Roofless Resturant". I believe the overall message of this story is to always have a working imagination no mater your age. ( )
  acaine1 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,692,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible