Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

This is a children's book that is fun and sparks imaginations. A grandfather tells his grandchildren about a make believe town called Chewandswallow, where they don't buy food, it falls from the sky three times a day. Everything is great until the food storms become violent and the larger than people can handle. They decide to make sailboats made out of bread and peanut butter and sail to a new land where it doesn't rain food. This is a great book if there is a unit on creative writing or teaching about tall tales and make believe stories. It can teach young children about things that are fiction versus non-fiction. The illustrations in this story are fun and are ink drawings with mostly reds and yellows for the color scheme. The shading is done with crosshatching but there is a lot of detail that kids will discover each time they read it. An activity a teacher could use this for is after having read this book, have students decide what would fall from the sky in their town for the whole week and have them illustrate their own version of the book. ( )
  cpaavola | Sep 23, 2015 |
This book is about a grandfather telling his grandchildren a story about a town called Chewandswallow. This town is not like any other town because in this town food falls from the sky. The people in this town do not have to shop for food. Different foods fall from the sky such as pancakes and maple syrup to hotdogs and even Jell-O. One day the food starts to get bigger and bigger and it eventually starts to ruin the town. The people of Chewandswallow decide they need to move away and they find another place to live. The grandchildren loved hearing this story from their grandfather. The following day they were playing outside in the snow and they imagined the snow was mashed potatoes.

Personal Reflection:
This was my favorite book as a child. I thought it was so neat that food fell from the sky. I have read this book to my own children and they absolutely love it. I think this book has great illustrations as well.

Classroom Extensions:
One fun thing to do in the classroom would be to ask the children what kind of food they would like falling from the sky.
Another fun activity would be to have the children draw what they think the town of Chewandswallow looks like.
Also you could watch the movie after reading the story in class.
  Aburke73505 | Sep 12, 2015 |

This story is about a town called Chewandswallow, this town is unlike any other town. The people of Chewandswallow never had to buy food, because all of their food fell from the sky. It rained food everyday three times a day, it rained breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Everything was fine until one day the food started getting bigger and bigger, it started destroying all of the houses, and buildings in the town. The people of Chewandswallow had no choice but to pack up all of their stuff and move to a new town.

I don’t have a personal connection with this book. I’ve seen the movie before which I really enjoyed. This was the first time I’ve read the book, and I must say I enjoyed it as well.

Each student could make their own town up. They would give it its own name and write about what kind of food would fall from the sky in their town.

Each student could build their own imaginary house made only of food. They would have to write about what it looked like, and how they built it. They would then have to draw a picture of it.

We could have an in class lunch in. I would send a note home with each student to give to their parents, explaining we are going to have an in class lunch in. I would then ask that they please send a food dish to school with their student that day.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 15, 2015 |
Summary: This book is called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett. This book is also a classic. Its about different types of food falling from the sky. It all seems fun, until weird things start to happen in that small town.

My reaction: I thought this book was so cool. It's a book for younger children. The whole idea of food falling from the sky is awesome, but then it shows that something bad could happen if your not careful. Its a genius idea, and teaches a lesson.

Classroom activity:
1.) The class can watch the movie after reading the book.
2.) The class can discuss on what food they would like to fall from the sky, and then eat some of their opinions!
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 8, 2015 |
Summary: A scientist finds a way to make a machine that makes food huge. He feeds his town but then his machine starts to make the food too big and he must try to save the town before it is destroyed by the food.

Personal connection: I first saw the movie, then read the book. It made me think what it would be like to have food just come out of the sky and all of the hunger issues solved.

Class use: Have students put together a menu of what they would make come out of the sky. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,782,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible