Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

4,4842031,091 (4.24)37

I enjoyed this book for an assortment of reasons. One reason I liked the book is the language that is presented throughout the book. There were many words in it that were interesting to hear and say. Some of the interesting words or phrases they mention are the town of "Chewandswallow" and a "tomato tornado." Another reason I liked the book is the illustrations. The beginning the book is illustrated in only black and white, then, when the grandfather starts talked about the town of ChewandSwallow, everything is illustrated in color. This allows the story to become more interesting and shows how different it is from the children's real lives. When the book talks about the different foods that fall from the sky, the illustrations do a great job of showing each and every food and the impact they had on the town. The third reason I like the book is the plot that the grandfather creates in the story he tells. The reader, at first, does not know where the story will go and is eager to see. Then, there is a conflict in the town and the reader does not know what the people of the town will decide to do. The suspense of what they will decide to do or what will happen next keeps the book interesting. The big idea of this book is to have a good imagination because it is a very entertaining feature to have. ( )
  vboch1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
This was a great book filled with a lot of imagery. I saw the movie and was thinking the book would be similar. It was relatively different from the movie, but both were great. I loved the imaginative plot of the story. One of my favorite things about this story were the illustrations. In the beginning, the photos were in black and white. It had an incredible amount of detail and as a reader you could feel that you were really there. When the grandfather began a bedtime story about a town called Chew and Swallow, the pictures turned into color with still the same amount of detail. I really enjoyed this because I think it gives the reader an even better picture when trying to imagine this food falling from the sky.
Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the imaginative words and thoughts. I never would have thought of food falling from the sky. This book used many creative elements that made one feel as if they were actually at this town. I thought it is a silly book that makes reading fun for kids. Some of the author’s creative ideas were a peanut butter sandwich for a boat, pea soup fog, and spaghetti falling from the sky and tangling up the town. This shows children that they can express their ideas no matter how silly they are. It also allows children to know that using your imagination is a good thing and to really think outside the box. I think that is an important message. In general, this was a really good book and would be a lot of fun to read. I wish this book had included more about the main message and what the author really wanted readers to achieve from this book. ( )
  AnneJohnson | Feb 17, 2015 |
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett and Illustrated by Ron Barrett

Summary: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is about a family where the grandpa tells a story about a town called Chewandswallow, where food rains down from the sky and everyone is happy. Until the food starts coming down too big, or overcooked, or gross, and everyone has to leave town and learn how to shop for food and adjust to a different kind of weather in their houses built from bread they sailed over to their new land on.

Personal Reaction: This book was very cute. The story was fun, something kids would definitely enjoy hearing, and the pictures add a lot of detail that isn’t in the words, but adds something to the story that would be missed if it were not a picture book.

Extension Ideas:
1. Have children make up their own crazy weather forecast of whatever their favorite foods are.
2. Teach children about the different times of weather that really happen, and how they affect the earth.
3. Use play-doh and have children make food from it and pretend that it is falling from the sky.
  yelhsajoh | Feb 11, 2015 |
I read this book to a group of kids 3rd-5th grade and it was a great success. I used a complimentary lesson plan relating to the five senses, and created an activity to review before the book. The illustrations are massive, very realistic looking, and this world of Chewandswallow isn't is awesome at the end of the book, as the kids thought judgment by the beginning!
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary: The story starts at breakfast when the brothers' grandfather is making pancakes and one of them land on one of the boy's heads. Later that night when he is tucking them into bed he tells them a tall tale about a town called Chewandswallow. This town is just lie any other small town except for their weather. In Chewandswallow it doesn't rain rain or snow snow. They get all their food from the weather. Sometimes it rained ketchup or soda. Hamburgers, toast, eggs, and baked beans all fell from the sky. The sanitation department would clean up all of the leftovers off the streets. Most days everything was just fine in Chewandswallow until one day things took a turn for the worse. There was a pea soup fog, a hurricane of bread, a pancake that covered the school, and a tomato tornado. Houses and other buildings were being damaged and people could no longer go outside. One day they decided to build a raft out of peanut butter and bread and sailed off to find a new town. They started all over again and had to buy their food at a grocery store.

Review: Children love this book and I think it is a great way to get their imagination flowing. The author did a great job of creating a whimsical world that we can't help but wonder what it would be like to live in. This could be the start of a great writing prompt for kids about what they would want to fall from the sky. It also connects reading and science because of all the weather related terms used throughout the story. I had an old copy of the book so the pictures were kind of dated but they still added to the overall light and fun mood of the story. I think the author succeeded in creating a story that was entertaining for many different audiences. ( )
  kkerns3 | Dec 8, 2014 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,804,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible