Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

Summary: A scientist finds a way to make a machine that makes food huge. He feeds his town but then his machine starts to make the food too big and he must try to save the town before it is destroyed by the food.

Personal connection: I first saw the movie, then read the book. It made me think what it would be like to have food just come out of the sky and all of the hunger issues solved.

Class use: Have students put together a menu of what they would make come out of the sky. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
This wonderfully unique story will be familiar to most students because of the recent remaking movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". It was one of my favorite books growing up. As a teacher, it can be used to teach sequence of events in an elementary classroom. ( )
  Kdd026 | Apr 29, 2015 |
My great-nephew's (4 yrs old) Mom was reading this and so I thought I'd give her a break (it was her 10+ time reading it) and I took over and shared a cute little story with a young reader.
How imaginative to have a town named Chewandswallow, where there are no grocery stores but each day your food is delivered by the weather - you could soup or milk showers, snow of mashed potatoes or peas, storms of hamburgers! So much fun but don't read it on an empty stomach! ( )
  cyderry | Apr 22, 2015 |
Up until recently, I had only seen the animated film based on this book. It is an imaginative, hilarious and, at times, somewhat scary tall-tale. The illustrations are detailed and fascinating and I'm sure were instrumental to the concept drawings for the film. I enjoyed all the quirky little touches, like a sign in a shop window reading 'Closed due to heavy food'. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 22, 2015 |
This book was always one of my favorites while I was growing up. I used to wish for it to rain hamburgers. How exciting it would be for the weather to be different kinds of food. This is a great book for kids with a wild imagination. ( )
  avery1809 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible