Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

Series: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1)

The illustrations and descriptive language of the food make this book so interesting and engaging. The exaggeration about the food falling from the sky and how descriptive they made it made the book have lots of humor. I really enjoyed the irony included too. The story is just overall very creative and funny. ( )
  caitlinpw | Sep 12, 2016 |
This book is a very cute book that would make a great writing prompt. I just wish the pictures would be more colorful because it was hard for my students to see the illustrations. Very entertaining.
  MicahGrizzle | Sep 10, 2016 |
This book is such a fun book to read to students to introduce weather! I love the illustration and the story overall.
  TaylorAtkinson | Sep 8, 2016 |
Summary

In this story, Grandpa told the children a bedtime story about a town called Chewandswallow – a fitting name because one got the impression that in feeding their bodies that is about all people had to do. At breakfast, lunch and dinner time, the appropriate meal would fall out of the sky and people just needed to collect their food from the falling meals and so everyone had all they could possibly want to eat. It all turned for the worse when the weather began to go all wrong. There were thunderstorms and bad weather bringing in too much food, and food combinations that did not go well together. The town became overwhelmed by this food crisis and the people all moved away to a place where they had to work for what they wanted to eat. They took a while adjusting to the new way of shopping for their food and having to purchase food stored on shelves. They also had to adjust to experiencing weather like rain and snow falling from the sky instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner. They learned to adjust because no one wanted to return to Chewandswallow as it had now become a disaster zone.

Critique

“Cloudy With a Chance of Meatball” is quite an entertaining book which can have you thinking how wonderful it would be to wake up and step outside to have the breakfast that you love, fall from the sky and on to your plate. However I think we cannot ignore the moral lesson that the author seems to be teaching, which is to appreciate the ability to work to buy the food we have to eat. If food fell from the sky, or any other fantasy we may have, the disaster that can result from it may be so much worse than what we would be avoiding by getting it easily. I can easily see this book as one we can use to teach a moral lesson in the classroom, emphasizing placing value on what we do have and appreciating it.

Prompts

1. Page 4 -Grandpa told them a “tall-tale” bedtime story. What do you think she meant by a tall tale?
2. Page7 – In Chewandswallow everyone got their food from the sky. Compare our world with Chewandswallow. How do we get our food? Discuss different ways – buying, growing, take suggestions. What falls from the sky? How does that help us to get food?
3. Page 12-15 – Would you like to live in the town of Chewandswallow where whenever you are hungry, your food falls from the sky?
4. Page 16 – Predict what happened when the weather took a turn for the worse.
5. Page 23 – People had to make the decision to leave Chewandswallow. The book states that “It was a matter of survival” – Discuss things that happen in some countries that cause people to leave in order to survive.
6. Page 27 – How did they adjust to new lifestyle?

Mini Lesson

Think about what happened in Chewandswallow. Would you like to live there now (at the end of the story)? What are some of the lessons we can learn from the story?
  deeprincess | Sep 7, 2016 |
Grandpa was flipping pancakes one morning when he flicked one across the room directly on Henry's forehead. This reminded him of a tall-tale that he told his grandchildren that night about a town called Chewandswallow. Chewandswallow was a normal town except for the fact that the weather was abnormal. It rained a steady supply of food. The wind also blew in food. This worked out well for the town until the weather changed and the food took over the town. The people had to move to a different town with normal weather in order to survive.

I liked this book because it is extremely imaginative. The pictures put the words to life.

Talk about what a tall-tale is. How would your life be different if food started falling from the sky? At the end of the book ask students what would have happened if people stayed in the town of Chewandswallow.

Students could make text-to-self connections. They could write about a bad storm they have been in. They could compare and contrast their town and chew and swallow. Students could identify the problem and solution of the story. ( )
  sarahthigpen | Sep 5, 2016 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Terheyden, LindaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,160,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible