Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

4,4962041,082 (4.25)37

In my opinion, this is a great book. One reason I like this book is due to creativity a plot line. While reading about all the crazy things that fall from the sky, one can not help geeting wraped up in the story. For example, as a reader it was easy to be jealous of the towns people when their school was closed due to a giant pancake. Another reason I like this stor is for its illustrations. Ron Barret does a great job with his style of drawings conveying what it would look like if food realy did fall from the sky.I also like the illustrations due to the small details not always included in the text. For example, the reasturant named "Ralph's Roofless Resturant". I believe the overall message of this story is to always have a working imagination no mater your age. ( )
  acaine1 | Mar 16, 2015 |
I really like this book, mainly because it is talking about food falling from the sky and that is essentially my dream world to live in. I liked how in the beginning, before the grandfather starts telling the story, the illustrations are in black and white and while he is telling the story, the illustrations are in color. I think that this gives more depth to the story because you can visually tell the difference between reality, and the story he is telling. For example, as he is starting the story, one the one page it is black and white as he is saying, "Across an ocean, over lots of huge bumpy mountains, across three hot deserts, and one smaller ocean...." Then, on the other page it is saying, "...there lay the tine town of Chewandswallow," and you can see the transition from black and white, to color, between the two pages. I really like the one section where they say, "they would even hear a prediction for the next day's food," which was funny because in the picture the weather reporter was predicting "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" as the next days forecast. I also really like the wording of things in this book such as, "Chewandswallow" and "tomato tornado." I thought that this was a nice addition to the story.

There wasn't really a big message to this story, however, I think that this story shows students that using your imagination is a really great thing and always remembering to be creative and think outside the box. The author did a great job at showing their creativity. For example, you have a whole world where your food falls from the sky at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the Sanitation Department cleans up the extra food that is left over and feeds it to the stray cats, dogs, and even ocean animals like fish, turtles, and whales. Also, in the end where the townspeople decide to flee, they use the stale bread to create a raft to sail to away from Chewandswallow. All of this shows extraordinary creativity from the author and I think this can really set an example for children. ( )
  LexaGoldbeck | Mar 2, 2015 |
I loved this book as a child. I used to want the sky to rain food instead of water. After a while, just like in the book, I thinks will turn for the worst and things will start to get destroyed. This book shows a lot of creativity in it. ( )
  krausch | Mar 2, 2015 |
This fun story tells of a grandfather telling his grandchildren a story. The story is about a town whose weather is food. All of the town's food comes from the sky for every meal of the day. Things soon take a turn for the worse in the small town as the weather turns and the food destroys the town.

This is a fun book for all children to enjoy. I love the illustrations. I would this book for a writing workshop to have my students write for fun describing what they wish would fall from the sky. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Mar 1, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for an assortment of reasons. One reason I liked the book is the language that is presented throughout the book. There were many words in it that were interesting to hear and say. Some of the interesting words or phrases they mention are the town of "Chewandswallow" and a "tomato tornado." Another reason I liked the book is the illustrations. The beginning the book is illustrated in only black and white, then, when the grandfather starts talked about the town of ChewandSwallow, everything is illustrated in color. This allows the story to become more interesting and shows how different it is from the children's real lives. When the book talks about the different foods that fall from the sky, the illustrations do a great job of showing each and every food and the impact they had on the town. The third reason I like the book is the plot that the grandfather creates in the story he tells. The reader, at first, does not know where the story will go and is eager to see. Then, there is a conflict in the town and the reader does not know what the people of the town will decide to do. The suspense of what they will decide to do or what will happen next keeps the book interesting. The big idea of this book is to have a good imagination because it is a very entertaining feature to have. ( )
  vboch1 | Feb 26, 2015 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,155,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible