Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

Summary

This story is about a town called Chewandswallow, this town is unlike any other town. The people of Chewandswallow never had to buy food, because all of their food fell from the sky. It rained food everyday three times a day, it rained breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Everything was fine until one day the food started getting bigger and bigger, it started destroying all of the houses, and buildings in the town. The people of Chewandswallow had no choice but to pack up all of their stuff and move to a new town.

Connection

I don’t have a personal connection with this book. I’ve seen the movie before which I really enjoyed. This was the first time I’ve read the book, and I must say I enjoyed it as well.

Extensions

Each student could make their own town up. They would give it its own name and write about what kind of food would fall from the sky in their town.

Each student could build their own imaginary house made only of food. They would have to write about what it looked like, and how they built it. They would then have to draw a picture of it.

We could have an in class lunch in. I would send a note home with each student to give to their parents, explaining we are going to have an in class lunch in. I would then ask that they please send a food dish to school with their student that day.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 15, 2015 |
Summary: This book is called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett. This book is also a classic. Its about different types of food falling from the sky. It all seems fun, until weird things start to happen in that small town.

My reaction: I thought this book was so cool. It's a book for younger children. The whole idea of food falling from the sky is awesome, but then it shows that something bad could happen if your not careful. Its a genius idea, and teaches a lesson.

Classroom activity:
1.) The class can watch the movie after reading the book.
2.) The class can discuss on what food they would like to fall from the sky, and then eat some of their opinions!
  Shelbymac2 | Jul 8, 2015 |
Summary: A scientist finds a way to make a machine that makes food huge. He feeds his town but then his machine starts to make the food too big and he must try to save the town before it is destroyed by the food.

Personal connection: I first saw the movie, then read the book. It made me think what it would be like to have food just come out of the sky and all of the hunger issues solved.

Class use: Have students put together a menu of what they would make come out of the sky. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
This wonderfully unique story will be familiar to most students because of the recent remaking movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". It was one of my favorite books growing up. As a teacher, it can be used to teach sequence of events in an elementary classroom. ( )
  Kdd026 | Apr 29, 2015 |
My great-nephew's (4 yrs old) Mom was reading this and so I thought I'd give her a break (it was her 10+ time reading it) and I took over and shared a cute little story with a young reader.
How imaginative to have a town named Chewandswallow, where there are no grocery stores but each day your food is delivered by the weather - you could soup or milk showers, snow of mashed potatoes or peas, storms of hamburgers! So much fun but don't read it on an empty stomach! ( )
  cyderry | Apr 22, 2015 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,391,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible