Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

Series: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1)

The tiny town of Chewandswallow was very much like any other tiny town except for its weather which came three times a day, at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
But it never rained rain and it never snowed snow and it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed things like mashed potatoes. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers. Life for the townspeople was delicious until the weather took a turn for the worse. The food got larger and larger and so did the portions. Chewandswallow was plagued by damaging floods and storms of huge food.
  mbrandel | May 4, 2016 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. First, I like the book because of the illustrations. As the story progresses so does the increase in the illustrators use of colors. There are also depictions of over-sized food like pancakes on buildings. The next reason that I like this book is because of its descriptive language. An example of the language is when the author describes breakfast in the town of Chewandswallow as “…a brief shower of orange juice, low clouds of sunny-side up eggs moved in followed by pieces of toast. Butter and jelly sprinkled down for the toast. And most of the time it rained milk afterwards.” The big message of the book is that life is better when we work together. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 28, 2016 |
Honestly, I would've eaten this book if I could've. There's just something about it. It's a tall tale written in the best possible sense of the word. "Across an ocean, over lots of huge bumpy mountains, across three hot deserts, and one smaller ocean... there lay the tiny town of Chewandswallow." Anyway, I certainly don't want to give away the finer points of this book because more than anything, I would like for you to read it for yourself. And who likes spoiled food? I don't want to spoil anything for you. I just have to say though, it's rather nice to be exposed to an imagination like this every so often, and certainly illustrations like this as well. I like it when an author takes normalcy and makes it kind of extraordinary. And Judi Barrett has done that with this book. Needless to say, I'll think of her the next time I go shopping for groceries. Who knows? My errand day might just be cloudy with a chance of meatballs. I'll have to check the weather forecast before I leave home. ( )
  mrs.k.rippel | Apr 21, 2016 |
Very cute book! Very cute easy to follow fantasy for young readers! Illustrations are very well done! Dialogue is very good and entertaining! Very fun words and adventures throughout! Each page is a lot of fun and this book gives you a good heartwarming feeling! Readers of any age will enjoy this book!It is worth every minute you can spend reading it! Truly wonderful and fantastic book! ( )
  Kathleen.Foil | Apr 12, 2016 |
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is about a grandfather that tells his grandchildren a story about a town called Chewandswallow. He tells them how on each day of the week, there is a different food that falls from the sky for the people of Chewandswallow to eat. Eventually this crazy mishap gets way out of control. The food that was falling from the sky was growing bigger and bigger. It had the people of Chewandswallow fearing for their lives. The people of Chewandswallow decide that it is time to come up with a plan to save their town. They work together to save themselves and each other from this awful weather. From this book, i would teach that teamwork is a very important skill to have because you cannot get through everything on your own. ( )
  ehb76 | Apr 12, 2016 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Terheyden, LindaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:53 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,954,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible