Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi…

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (1978)

by Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett (Illustrator)

4,3991911,116 (4.23)37

Grandpa tells his young grandchildren a bedtime story. The story takes place in Chewandswallow which is tiny town. When it rains there, it rains food that the town people what for that day. The weather becomes awful and it messes up with the town of getting food. They don't know what they are going to do. When they woke up, breakfast was provided, then lunch, then dinner. For example in the book it says, " Butter and jelly sprinkled down for the toast. And most of the time it rained milk afterwards." I think this book would be cute for the classroom because it would make the students' use their imaginations. ( )
  emilyann93 | Nov 20, 2014 |
Bedtime story told by the grandfather to grandchildren. The daily lives of people in the town call Chewandswallow. it has strange storms of food falling out of the sky but eventually the storms become uncontrollable and cause problems within the town. Rains meatballs, pancakes..etc.
  kzilinskas | Nov 3, 2014 |
SUMMARY:
This story is about a town called chew and swallow the weather consists of nothing but food. The menu is always changing. One day a storm comes and it chases everyone out of the town.

Personal reaction
I enjoyed reading this story. It was very different and exciting. I liked that the sky let out different foods every day.

Classroom extension
This could be used in the classroom by letting children draw their favorite foods from the sky.
This could also be used to let children write about their favorite food for a writing lesson.
  christianf | Oct 25, 2014 |
Summary: A grandpa tells his grandchildren about a town Chewandswallow. In this town every meal was served from the sky. One day storms came and chased everyone out of the town.

Personal Reflection: This book allows you to use your imagination. It also shows children that in this specific town children couldn't be picky about what they ate.

Extension Projects:
1. Have the children use their imagination and write about their town and what foods would come from the sky.
2. Use this book as a cause and effect lesson.
3. Get different foods and allow the students to describe the textures. Could be a great book to do for a lesson on observations.
  BethanyKisner | Oct 24, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason I liked this book is because of the compelling artwork. Each illustration brings to life the text on page. As a young reader this was my one of my favorite books because of the outlandish illustrations. I yearned for the day that a large pancake would fall from the sky. Unfortunately, my school was never cancelled due to failing pancakes no matter how hard I wished. The second reason I enjoyed this book is due to the plot. In high school, I taught a lesson based on a read aloud of the story. Each page elicited a giggle or laugh, due to the comical plot. The story line is about a town called Chewandswallow. Daily meals are delivered from the sky, with some unexpected consequences. The author writes about food in terms of meteorological events. For example “Periods of peas and baked potatoes were followed by gradual clearing, with a wonderful jell-o setting in the west.” I also enjoyed the pace of story. It starts off casual, but becomes increasingly dangerous as more food rains down from the sky. The big idea of the story is that imagination is important, but it also can get you into trouble. ( )
  dbaker16 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Judi Barrettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

"Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is a story that allows children to use their imagination. In a town one day, food is falling from the sky. Sounds like heaven, no? Well, while others may enjoy the free falling food, not every one is so happy. To see how the town reacts to this phenomenon and what food exactly falls from the sky, children must read and find out.

If food dropped like rain from the sky, wouldn't it be marvelous! Or would it? It could, after all, be messy. And you'd have no choice. What if you didn't like what fell? Or what if too much came? Have you ever thought of what it might be like to be squashed flat by a pancake?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Life is delicious in the town of Chewandswallow where it rains soup and juice, snows mashed potatoes, and blows storms of hamburgers--until the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible