McSweeney's Quarterly Concern Issue 13…

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern Issue 13 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern) (edition 2004)

by Chris Ware (Editor)

1,195910,784 (4.12)5
This issue is all comics.  It is edited by Chris Ware (author of Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth), and features so many artists to know and love: Lynda Berry, Mark Beyer, Chester Brown, Jeffrey Brown, Ivan Brunetti, Charles Burns, Malachi B. Cohen, Daniel Clowes, David Collier, Robert Crumb, Kim Deitch, Julie Douchet, Debbie Drechsler, Bud Fisher, Ira Glass, Glen David Gold, Milt Gross, Philip Guston, David Heatley, Gilbert Hernandez, Jaime Hernandez, Goerge Herriman, Ben Katchor, Kaz, Chip Kidd, John McLenan, Joe Matt, Richard McGuire, Mark Newgarden, Archer Prewitt, Gary Panter, Charles Schulz, Joe Sacco, Richard Sala, Tim Samuelson, Seth, Art Spiegelman, Adrian Tomine, Micheal Chabon, Rodolphe Topffer, John Updike, Chris Ware, and Jim Woodring.… (more)
Member:selfnoise
Title:McSweeney's Quarterly Concern Issue 13 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern)
Authors:Chris Ware
Info:McSweeney's (2004), Package, Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:graphic novel, compilation

McSweeney's Issue 13 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern): The Comics Issue by Dave Eggers (Editor)

They can’t all be winners. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
One of those super creative efforts from McSweeney's that I really enjoyed digging into. Comics, comic history, hidden comics within the comics-overwrap ... neat. But the font for the essays inside is far too small. ( )
  JBD1 | Sep 12, 2018 |
I really don't understand how this book sat on my shelves so long before I read it. When I first heard about it, I wanted it immediately. But I was in a cheap phase, so I only put it on my paperbackswap wishlist. After a lot of patience, I finally scored a copy, but it languished, unread, until I put it on my to-read shelf this year to rectify the situation.

This really is an incredibly interesting sampler of comics. From the inventor of the form, through some classic newspaper strips, to an impressive variety of modern comics, it's hard to falt this collection for its contents. The only thing that grated for me was the editorial writing, which felt casually misogynist. Descriptions of female characters were exclusively restricted to reports on their figures (and not kindly, one woman is described as being the size of an upright Naugahyde couch, even though the actual drawings of said woman seemed not nearly so exaggerated, nor was her size every played derogatively in the printed comics.) There were some female comic writers included, and some "women's stories," but much of the text seemed to reinforce the idea of comics as a boy's club, which disappointed me.

I wouldn't say it was worth passing this book over for, it just could have been better. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
I would like to congratulate Dave Eggers for letting Chris Ware ruin what could have been one of the most memorable issues of McSweeney’s ever. Ware hates humanity and likes to force the reader to hate it too by making his texts completely inaccessible both emotionally and (sometimes) visually. The essays interspersed between the comics might be insightful, poignant, or (typical of Ware) absurdly humorous but printing them in four point font sort of spoils the entire deal. I get the joke but the joke is over.Those are my grumps. My grumps! my grumps! My gnarly manly grumps! There is some wizened wisdom to Ware’s overall structure of the book. Case in point: closing the volume with contrasting biographic sketches; 1) David Heatley’s loving, complex, vulnerable father (the kind of person me on a good day wishes there was more of in the world) and 2) the pitifully self-loathing masochist Soren Kierkegaard - whose true life biography mirrors the shame factory efficiency of one of Ware’s fictional characters. (Is it necessary I indicate a biography as “true life?”) [Was it as necessary to do that in the past as it is now?]It would appear too that most American underground comics creators are as neurotic and self-obsessed as Ware. There are a handful though that have the bravery, talent, and vision to deal with issues bigger than themselves even when working in an autobiographical mode; namely, Joe Sacco (war), Debbie Drechsler (abortion), and Chester Brown (minority rights). ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |

Porcellino, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomine, AdrianContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Updike, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible