The Crossing (The Border Trilogy, Book 2) by…

The Crossing (The Border Trilogy, Book 2) (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Cormac McCarthy

Member:Jamz
Title:The Crossing (The Border Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (1995), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy (1994)

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (beebowallace)
    beebowallace: The first of the border trilogy series.
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (beebowallace)
    beebowallace: The next & final book in the border trilogy series.

English (39)  Dutch (1)  All (40)
Bleak tale of orphans Billy and Boyd Parham. There's humor here (in the dialogue), but mostly there's suffering. Always wonder at the terrible brutality of McCarthy's imagination (of course, Blood Meridian is the ultimate of that...). Is McCarthy's God the harried inventor hypothesized here, too absorbed in creating to be bothered with His creation--not so much indifferent as preoccupied? McCarthy continues the powerful mythmaking of All the Pretty Horses here: people look at Billy "as if he were a thing wholly alien in that landscape. Something from an older time of which they'd only heard. Something of which they'd read." ( )
  beaujoe | Jun 1, 2017 |
This is the first border trilogy book I read and I have to say it was brilliant, beautiful, hard, and philosophical. Reminded me a bit of Suttree in that it is Gothic but in a Western setting. ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
Review: The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy.

I have to say I preferred All The Pretty Horses over this one and I hope the next one of the three is better. I liked the story but it was somewhat long winded in areas throughout the book. McCarthy is a very good writer, full of descriptive settings, and good classic western style characters but the dialogue between brothers was however kind of dull.

The brothers, Billy the oldest and Boyd the youngest had different character traits. Boyd was introverted where Billy was outgoing but as the reader I could have used a little more sense of emotional bonding and dialect between the brothers, especially since they were the two main characters of the book. Even though I know the original point of the story started about a she-wolf, trapping, and then Billy’s decision to leave his family behind to relocate the she-wolf to Mexico.

It was a book filled with tragedy and challenging desperate living that informs the reader how it was difficult for people to survive to an old age at that time. I felt the book was based on boundaries that inhabit within our minds and character and how we define them and how we manage them. It fills our minds how memory creates myth and typical impressions of the past and how it forms our future. This is a place in time where McCarthy channels the beauty and accuracy of our past.

I recommend the book because of the western emotional drama and environment that McCarthy brings out in forces….I’m ready for his next book…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
1994 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
I wish I knew what propelled me to keep reading this book. If I had to take a guess I would go with the language and prose. It's a beautiful, dark, haunting story but the plot was so thin. I found it more to be a series of short stories as Billy wound his way around the Mexican countryside.

All the Spanish conversation got really old, very quickly. I know a bit of Spanish so often I would be able to extract enough to get the gist. For a while I tried looking up words in my Spanish/English dictionary then I gave that up knowing I'd never get through this book if I kept that up. Most authors would give you enough to work with in English that it didn't really matter what you missed in a foreign language but not McCarthy. If you know no Spanish I would absolutely steer you away from this book.

This is the second book of the Border Trilogy and I just don't know if I can do the third after this. The first, All the Pretty Horses, I listened to the audiobook (not realizing it was the first of a series). No unabridged audiobook exists for The Crossing, and having read it,and all its Spanish dialogue, I now understand why. ( )
1 vote she_climber | Dec 6, 2015 |
Mr. McCarthy, because he is interested in the mythic shape of lives, has always been interested in the young and the old or, if not the old, then those who have already performed some act so deep in their natures (often horrific, though not always) that it forecloses the idea of possibility. "Doomed enterprises," Mr. McCarthy's narrator remarks, "divide lives forever into the then and the now." So "The Crossing" is full of encounters between the young boys, who look so much like the pure arc of possibility, and the old they meet on the road, all of whom seem impelled, as if innocence were one of the vacuums that nature abhors, to tell them their stories, or prophesy, or give them advice.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Robert Hass (Jun 12, 1994)

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernascone, RossellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carosso, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kun he tulivat etelään Grantin piirikunnasta Boyd oli vielä melkein sylilapsi ja vastikään muodostettu ja Hidalgoksi nimetty piirikunta oli vain vähän lasta vanhempi.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679760849, Paperback)

The opening section of The Crossing, book two of the Border Trilogy, features perhaps the most perfectly realized storytelling of Cormac McCarthy's celebrated career. Like All the Pretty Horses, this volume opens with a teenager's decision to slip away from his family's ranch into Mexico. In this case, the boy is Billy Parham, and the catalyst for his trip is a wolf he and his father have trapped, but that Billy finds himself unwilling to shoot. His plan is to set the animal loose down south instead.

This is a McCarthy novel, not Old Yeller, and so Billy's trek inevitably becomes more ominous than sweet. It boasts some chilling meditations on the simple ferocity McCarthy sees as necessary for all creatures who aim to continue living. But Billy is McCarthy's most loving--and therefore damageable--character, and his story has its own haunted melancholy.

Billy eventually returns to his ranch. Then, finding himself and his world changed, he returns to Mexico with his younger brother, and the book begins meandering. Though full of hypnotically barren landscapes and McCarthy's trademark western-gothic imagery (like the soldier who sucks eyes from sockets), these latter stages become tedious at times, thanks partly to the female characters, who exist solely as ghosts to haunt the men.

But that opening is glorious, and the whole book finally transcends its shortcomings to achieve a grim and poignant grandeur. --Glen Hirshberg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

In the 1930s, two teenage brothers whose ranch in New Mexico was raided by bandits, cross into Mexico to search for stolen horses. The novel follows them through the revolution-torn countryside, meeting soldiers, peasants, priests and thieves, all proffering advice. By the author of All the Pretty Horses.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,045,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible