The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The…

The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Novels, Volume 3 (2006)

by Arthur Conan Doyle, Leslie S. Klinger (Editor)

Other authors: Janet Byrne (Contributor), Patricia J. Chui (Contributor), Sidney Paget (Illustrator)

Series: New Annotated Sherlock Holmes (3)

English (4)  Swedish (1)  All languages (5)
I had a complete Sherlock Holmes volume as a kid, and I've read all of the stories a number of times. This version is still worth buying for the excellent annotations. ( )
  franzeska | May 15, 2009 |
Superb. ( )
  ostrom | Jan 3, 2008 |
Read and loved three of these four novels (never got to "The Valley of Fear") in middle school and would love to obtain the matching, slipcased, annotated edition... and as they're both languishing in a prominent spot in our mystery section, I'll probably have to have them the next time we pull books for a return to Norton.
  wilpotts | Aug 6, 2006 |
A Study in Scarlet Arthur Conan Doyle (4/5)

This and the following three books were all collected in Leslie Klinger's excellent New Annotated Sherlock Holmes.

This novel describes Holmes and Watson's first meeting, with Watson being at first unsure what exactly his new roommate does for a living. The mystery itself wasn't one of my favorites; parts of it struck me as a bit contrived, and the long flashback that takes place in Utah and doesn't involve Holmes or Watson bored me a little.

The Sign of Four Arthur Conan Doyle (5/5)

This is a really good one, if quite short. There's lots of exotic stuff (stolen treasure! a Pygmy who shoots poisoned darts!) and some great deducing by everyone's favorite detective.

The Hound of the Baskervilles Arthur Conan Doyle (5/5)

My favorite of the Holmes novels. This one is still good even if you know how it ends, and offers some pleasantly shivery moments, what with spectral hounds howling on the moors and such.

The Valley of Fear Arthur Conan Doyle (4/5)

I have mixed feelings about this one. In a lot of ways it seems like a short story that was padded out with a flashback (much like A Study in Scarlet), and I found the end a bit depressing and dissatisfying. On the other hand, the interaction between Holmes and Watson at the beginning of the novel is wonderful, with Holmes coming off as almost playful in his teasing of Watson. ( )
1 vote Crowyhead | May 1, 2006 |

Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klinger, Leslie S.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Byrne, JanetContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chui, Patricia J.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paget, SidneyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Please combine this annotated edition only with similar Norton Annotated editions containing the same four works, i.e.: The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Sign of Four, A Study in Scarlet, and The Valley of Fear. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039305800X, Hardcover)

The four classic novels of Sherlock Holmes, heavily illustrated and annotated with extensive scholarly commentary, in an attractive and elegant slipcase.

The publication of Leslie S. Klinger's brilliant new annotations of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's four classic Holmes novels in 2005 created a Holmes sensation. Klinger reassembles Doyle's four seminal novels in their original order, with over 1,000 notes, 350 illustrations and period photographs, and tantalizing new Sherlockian theories. Inside, readers will find: A Study in Scarlet (1887)—a tale of murder and revenge that tells of Holmes and Dr. Watson's first meeting; The Sign of Four (1889)—a chilling tale of lost treasure...and of how Watson met his wife; The Hound of the Baskervilles (1901)—hailed as the greatest mystery novel of all time; and The Valley of Fear (1914)—a fresh murder scene that leads Holmes to solve a long-forgotten mystery.

Whether as a stand-alone volume or as a companion to the short stories, this classic work illuminates the timeless genius of Conan Doyle for an entirely new generation.

Two-color text; 300 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:41 -0400)

A compendium of four classic Sherlock Holmes novels features more than one thousand accompanying notes, three hundred and fifty illustrations and period photographs, and a wealth of new theories.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 039305800X, 0393065944

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,456,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible