Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale by Mark…

Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale (original 2000; edition 2003)

by Mark Beckloff, Dan Dye

Member:SABC
Title:Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
Authors:Mark Beckloff
Other authors:Dan Dye
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2003), Paperback, 248 pages
Tags:Great Dane-Missouri-Biography, Dog story-biography

Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale by Dan Dye (2000)

English (16)  German (1)  All languages (17)
4.5 stars

Gracie was the runt of the litter. A Great Dane albino puppy who was deaf and partly blind. The author, Dan, having recently lost a dog, decided to bring Gracie home instead of letting the breeder euthanize her. This is her story.

I really enjoyed this. As with most animal stories, there were laughs and tears. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 1, 2014 |
I'm not a huge dog fan but out was still an enjoyable read. Not engrossing but some fun little vignettes, like the first time he attempts baking in response to his dog's dietary needs. ( )
  mamalaoshi | Apr 13, 2013 |
  mamalaoshi | Apr 13, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I am not usually drawn to dog stories - or pet stories in general but,this one caught my interest for some reason. The writing style is engaging - very light and easy reading. The author's self deprecating humor works and doesn't get tiresome. My only complaint would be that I wish there were more explanation about how the Three Dog Bakery went from one store to a national chain. The story jumps from the sale of a few biscuits to grand openings in several stores in one day. I would have liked a bit more background about that dynamic but, since this is Gracie's story I can understand why that was not emphasized.

Great book overall. Gracie and the Girls will steal your heart. ( )
  Daiseyb | Mar 31, 2013 |
A deaf and partially blind albino Great Dane is adopted into a family who will love her forever. Funny yet tears will weave into your heart as you enjoy this true story. The authors are the founders of Three Dog Bakery, the world's original bakery for dogs.
  SABC | Dec 5, 2012 |
For Gracie and for every other best dog in the world.
Blue is a nice word for how I felt.

It was love at first sight. Amid the frenzied barking and prancing of a house full of Great Danes, one pup was shivering in the corner. Gracie. But when Dan Dye reached her, she struggled to her feet like a clumsy foal, raised her forehead to his, and announced, as clearly as if she had actually spoken the words, You know I'm the one. Now get me outta here!

By turns funny, moving, tender, and inspiring, Gracie's tale is a treat for every dog lover. There is Gracie's first morning, racing around Dan in the snowy yard. Gracie's first determination to prove to her step-sisters, Dottie the Dalmation and Sarah the Black Lab, that she's one of the girls. Gracie's defiant romance with a pint-size charmer named Byron, a Boston Terrier from the wrong side of the fence.

Then born of necessity, the eureka moment: When Gracie's delicate constitution starts turning into anorexia, Dan teaches himself how to cook, and in three days is baking her the cookies that will spur her appetite, launch Three Dog Bakery, and transform their lives forever.

Courage. Compassion. Kindness. Soul. Tenacity. And joy, above all, joy. These qualities Gracie possessed in abundance, and shared with everyone, human or canine, who had the good fortune to cross her path.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:22 -0400)

The co-founders of Three Dog Bakery describe how the rescue of Gracie, a deaf, partially blind, albino Great Dane pup, and her relationship with her owner, Dan Dye, led to the founding of their successful enterprise.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible