Fledgling (Liaden Universe) by Sharon Lee
Other authors:Steve Miller
Info:Baen (2009), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:New, Adults
Tags:science fiction

Fledgling by Sharon Lee (Author)

Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.
    The City Who Fought by Anne McCaffrey (SunnySD)
    God Stalk by P. C. Hodgell (SunnySD)

I got this and another book in the series free as ebooks from the Baen Books site. If you google it, I think it's still available. I was unimpressed by Agent of Change. It was readable with likable characters but seemed to me rather generic space opera romance. Plus, it annoyed me by ending on somewhat of an unfinished note. I was left feeling happy I hadn't paid for the book and thinking I sure wouldn't pay for more. But I still had Fledgling on my iPhone so I gave it a shot.
I liked this book much more, It made me feel, yes, I would look for more of this author, of this series, and it would be worth paying for. This isn't high-concept science fiction with mind-blowing ideas, no. But I loved Theo Waitley--this works as YA in a lot of ways even if not completely from her point of view. And the authors play with interesting ideas about safety versus freedom and gender roles. I'm very glad I gave this a read. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 10, 2015 |
Listening to this book made me realize that I should dip into straight up SF more often. I don't remember buying the book, nor did I realize that it's sort of "out of series order" when I listened to it, so I must've gotten it from one of Audble's many sales.

It took a while to get the hang of how things work in the Liaden universe, but the process of discovery was enjoyable. I'm particularly interested to learn more about how gender roles developed there to the point that young people might tell each other they need to "woman up" in the way those in our society say "man up." Clearly it's more complex than a simple reversal of typical gender roles.

I look forward to reading more of this series, but in the order recommended by the author! ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
It now seems that the Lee and Miller team are developing half books.

Fledgling takes a good long time for us to see what is going on, and it is through the intelligence of the Liaden amongst all the scholars who figures things out. But we don't really see enough sleuthing to call this a good mystery, which it could have been.

Instead it mixes in an awkward coming go age story, not completely told, but with a great deal of flashbacks and one line remembrances of why this is an ugly duckling. Finally finding that there is a whole universe where she would be a swan and that amongst all these brilliant minds she has grown up in, no one can realize that.

Where much of the previous work seems well plotted, this seems more as if it was created first with no direction and then a plot added it to late in its development. Wanting to tell the story of Theo at the age of puberty and finding that after a few lines, there was not an entire book there, but things could be hooked into the full Liaden Universe.

So not the highest of ratings. And not a part of the series that is needful to read more than once. ( )
  DWWilkin | Aug 22, 2015 |
Fledgling is now one of my favorite books. This was my second read. This story is about a young woman who does not fit into her society and must navigate the treacherous shoals of young adulthood. Her society is completely about academic lifestyle. Theo's mother is a respected scholar of very high status on the planet of Delgado. Women are the dominant gender on the planet and men play a secondary role. Theo's father is a competent scholar, but her mother's work and position takes precedence.

There is a strong change in Theo's character through the book. She begins the book as a clumsy girl and later in the book has respect and potential for great things. There is a lot of tension and conflict in the story, without fighting or battles.

People who would like this story are probably people who have happily spent time in academia and are not looking for fighting scenes. The next book continues Theo's story. ( )
  SAGibson | Jan 23, 2015 |
Fledgling is now one of my favor books. This was my second read. This story is about a young woman who does not fit into her society and must navigate the treacherous shoals of young adulthood. Her society is completely about academic lifestyle. Theo's mother is a respected scholar of very high status on the planet of Delgado. Women are the dominant gender on the planet and men play a secondary role. Theo's father is a competent scholar, but her mother's work and position takes precedence.

superant | Jan 23, 2015 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pollack, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, EileenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Why do I have to go with her?" Theo demanded, and winced at the quaver in her voice.

Theo Waitley finds her life disrupted by her professor mother's decision to relocate her to faculty housing, where she is embroiled in school politics.

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible