The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous &…

The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke

by Suze Orman

Not as helpful as The Total Money Makeover. She gives you some tips, but it's changing your philosophy, habits, and lifestyle that really makes a difference. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I don't see how a book geared towards the "Young, Fabulous & Broke" can be so painfully outddated. I mean, it was written in this millenium, but it's hard to tell considering some of the advice. "Cut your landline and use your cell phone to save money!" says Suze. "If you can't seem to keep your checkbook balanced, go open a brand new account at your bank and deposit a check in it - that way you know exactly how much you have and can start over new!"

Suze. A word. I don't know a single person under the age of 30 who *owns* a landline. Literally not one person. And I've never balanced a checkbook in my life but that's because I've been using online banking since I was sixteen. If I want to know exactly how much (or little) money is in my account, I can find out in five seconds (with a good wifi connection).

Some of the advice is solid, especially the way she breaks down investment strategies and explains all the factors that go into a FICO score. But the rest of it is clearly geared towards the painfully stupid ("Help, I cosigned on a friend's credit card and now they're not paying their bill!") and the old. For the Young, Fabulous & Broke - sorry, but this book is not a good fit for you. ( )
  391 | Jan 28, 2013 |
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |
Very informative book on money matters.
  Aerow | Aug 15, 2011 |
I admit it: I love Suze Orman. She's pushy and loud, and she talks with all. those. pauses. But I love her still! My friend Teniell recommended this book, and it is great. Despite it's silly title. I think there is so much good advice in this book. There's really something for everyone. I have referred to this book repeatedly, and pull it out for a re-read occasionally. Very helpful. ( )
  jthomasward | Feb 26, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143057367, Audio CD)

If you are tired of struggling to make ends meet but don't know a 401(k) from Special K, this book is for you. Aimed specifically at "Generation Broke"--those in their twenties and thirties who are working yet buried in credit card debt and student loans--this user-friendly guide offers a clear introduction to practical investing and money management techniques that can turn even a dismal financial situation around. Bestselling author Suze Orman has a knack for taking the fear out of money matters, and in The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous &: Broke, she shows readers how to set priorities and achieve goals, whether it is to buy a house or save for retirement or pay for a child's education. She also offers inspiration to readers to face their financial problems and get started on a solution. After all, there is good news: young people still have the time to correct problems so that they will never be broke again. Readers who find terms such as diversification and IRA rollover scary--or worse, unimportant--will learn much from this book.

In these pages, Orman clearly and succinctly explains what a FICO score is and why it's so important, offers the lowdown on stocks and mutual funds, provides career advice, and offers lots of tips on dealing with student loan debt, saving money even when times are tight, debt consolidation strategies, and the safest way for newlyweds to merge their finances. She also offers information on credit cards, including why canceling cards is not a good idea, when it makes sense to use them, and the best strategies for paying them off. It may not be the only money book you'll ever need, but it's an excellent place to start. --Shawn Carkonen

All About Suze Orman

The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke is financial expert Suze Orman's answer to a generation's cry for help. An Emmy-award winner, Orman is the author of four consecutive New York Times® bestsellers, The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom, The Courage to Be Rich, The Road to Wealth, and The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life. The Money Book was written to address the specific financial reality that young people face today, and it offers a set of real, not impossible, solutions to the problems at hand and the problems ahead.

Listen to a special message from Suze Orman. Visit the Suze Orman Store

Suze Orman: The Bestsellers

The Courage to Be Rich The Road to Wealth The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life Suze Orman's Financial Guidebook The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom Money Cards: Words That Lead to Wealth You've Earned it, Don't Lose It The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke, Audio CD Build Your Own Suze Orman Library
The Essentials

The Road to Wealth, CD
The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life, CD
The Courage to Be Rich, Cassette
The Road to Wealth, Cassette
The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life, Cassette Bestselling Suze Orman Books on DVD
The Laws of Money, the Lessons of Life, 2003
The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom, 2004
The Road to Wealth, 2004
The Suze Orman Collection, 2003
The Courage to Be Rich
The Best of the Suze Orman Collection, 2004

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:22 -0400)

Addresses personal finance issues that are of relevance to today's world of high debt and disproportionate lifestyles, addressing such topics as credit cards, student loans, credit scores, insurance, and mortgages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible