Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

Sea of Poppies (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Amitav Ghosh

2,2031292,946 (3.96)2 / 646
Member:fuzzy_patters
Title:Sea of Poppies
Authors:Amitav Ghosh
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:ebook
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, India, opium, imperialism, sea travel

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh (2008)

Recently added byRena37, folivier, private library, atlasclouded, rvipinkumar, clublist, aarti, dhaval.d84

English (123)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (2)  Vietnamese (1)  All (134)
I'd rate this a 2.5 which I have rounded up to a 3.

Sea of Poppies is a period piece and it gave a good idea of the opium trade back in the colonial times. I did enjoy the sailing parts (as I am a sailor), but on the whole, the book didn't appeal to me.

In my opinion, this story could have been a whole lot shorter. I think that given the length of the book that the characters could have been better developed. There were too many characters for my liking, too.

I'm writing this brief review a month after reading the book and my memory of it is a blur. I can't even remember the ending, for goodness sake. Was there an ending, or was it left off in the hope that readers would proceed to the next book in the series?

LemonyT | Apr 21, 2017 |
Rollicking, inventive, adventurous, brilliant novel about the opium trade in British India circa 1840. The novel follows a group of disparate individuals who converge on a ship called the Ibis, which is set to carry coolies (Indian migrant workers) from Calcutta to Mauritius. Many of the characters speak a patois called Bhojpuri, and the linguistiv inventiveness of the novel alone is astounding. Loved it. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
It's the first book of a yet-unwritten trilogy. I simply cannot wait for the next installment. Brilliant writing, totally immersive historical fiction, with astute relevance to modern issues. My favorite kind of book. ( )
1 vote trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Its an amazing book... hope everyone reads this atleast once ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Enjoyed this very much. I should probably reread River of Smoke before moving on to the final book in the trilogy now that I know some of the characters' backgrounds and see if having read this one makes a difference to my feelings about the book.I didn't even realize when I read River of Smoke that Sea of Poppies preceded it. Looking forward to the third book! ( )
  NatalieSW | Apr 5, 2016 |

Amitav Ghoshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

To Nayan
For his fifteenth
The vision of a tall-masted ship, at sail on the ocean, came to Deeti on an otherwise ordinary day, but she knew instantly that the apparition was a sign of destiny for she had never seen such a vessel before, not even in a dream: how could she have, living as she did in northern Bihar, four hundred miles from the coast?
(...) dat de essentie van die transformatie gelegen was in een enkel woord (...)

The first in an epic trilogy, Sea of Poppies is "a remarkably rich saga . . . which has plenty of action and adventure à la Dumas, but moments also of Tolstoyan penetration--and a drop or two of Dickensian sentiment" (The Observer [London]).

At the heart of this vibrant saga is a vast ship, the Ibis. Her destiny is a tumultuous voyage across the Indian Ocean shortly before the outbreak of the Opium Wars in China. In a time of colonial upheaval, fate has thrown together a diverse cast of Indians and Westerners on board, from a bankrupt raja to a widowed tribeswoman, from a mulatto American freedman to a free-spirited French orphan. As their old family ties are washed away, they, like their historical counterparts, come to view themselves as jahaj-bhais, or ship-brothers. The vast sweep of this historical adventure spans the lush poppy fields of the Ganges, the rolling high seas, and the exotic backstreets of Canton. With a panorama of characters whose diaspora encapsulates the vexed colonial history of the East itself, Sea of Poppies is "a storm-tossed adventure worthy of Sir Walter Scott" (Vogue).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,890,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible