Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (1999)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

This is a book about a boy named Bud who was in search for his father. It started with him being placed in his third foster home. He leaves in order to find his dad and make a better life for himself. The person that he believes is his daddy is on the front of a jazz flier. He makes his way to the grand rapids going through a series of events; he also meets several different people before making it to who he think is his dad, Calloway. When Bud first meets Calloway he did not want much to do with him. However, he eventually came around and Bud finally gets his happily ever after. If you are looking for a book that follows a boy on the quest to find his family member this book is for you. It is full of adventure and even has a little surprising twist on characters. ( )
  bdb048 | Mar 18, 2019 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. One reason I liked this book is the language. Bud tells the story in a young and lively voice, pulling the reader in. The way the the different emotions of Bud are expressed are really well done and help the reader to feel the emotions. An example of the young voice in the book is when Bud says "human bean" instead of "human being." Another reason I liked this book was the many themes it gave. One theme that really stuck out to me was the meaning of home. Bud is looking for a literal home as well as a figurative home. Bud has multiple literal homes in the story including his foster home, under a tree, and in a box. Throughout the whole story Bud is looking for a figurative home, somewhere he feels loved and safe, with the father he is searching for. The big idea I got from this book was to not give up. Bud goes through many roadblocks on his journey to find his father. However, none of that stops him from getting where he needs to be and I think that the fact that the book takes place during the Great Depression really helps portray that message. ( )
  KayleeWolbert | Mar 14, 2019 |
Bud,Not Buddy is a great book for fifth grade and six grade. I found the book to have a shocking twist at the end. As a reader you get very invested in bud, you want him to succeed and find a family after all he’s been through. You really get a sense of strength and dedication from bud which is remarkable with the time where u just want to question those around him. The book became a favorite a mine that I will be recommended to others. ( )
  gquint3 | Mar 14, 2019 |
Bud, Not Buddy is a historical fiction novel for grades 4-6.

The book is about an orphan boy who runs away from foster care due to poor treatment to try and find his father in the midst of the Great Depression. Throughout the book, Bud's quirkiness shines through as he has "Bud Caldwell's Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself" list along with his optimistic and realistic viewpoint as he survives his travels as a young black boy in harsh and unsafe environments. Emotions race as he travels through Hoovervilles and dirt roads, but the acceptance of reality and resilience hold everything together so you too "don't cry no more." ( )
  rgoldm8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
Juvenile historical fiction, chapter book, grades 4-12.
Loved the book, it is a fun and easy read. It takes place in Michigan during the great depression. The main character, Bud, is a great protagonist and makes reading his story very enjoyable. He is resourceful and has a very active imagination. There are many unfortunate situations that Bud doesn’t let get him or the reader down, and he just keeps moving forward. ( )
  ebroph2 | Mar 6, 2019 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,402,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible