Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (1999)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason is that the characters in the story are so well developed. For example, throughout the book you can tell the emotions that Bud has for his family and also the determination that he has to have the best in his life. The second reason is that book pushes the readers to think of the tough issues that were happening in the 1930's. For example, the book brings up the issues of racism and segregation that the characters and Bud face. The last reason is the language is descriptive about the setting. This makes it easier for the reader to picture what Michigan was like back in the day. The big message is to not give up on yourself and to always want the best. ( )
  wclayw1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
Bud's mom dies then Bud is put into an orphanage type of place he becomes friends with a child named Bugs who becomes his best friend. They try to escape from the orphanage and get out of town. Also they get put into foster homes. Bud goes to a foster home and gets into a fight with the boy who lives there.
  Emily_Wilkinson | Apr 17, 2016 |
After the boys mom dies, he is sent to foster care were he takes on many adventures.
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
I believe this is a great book for upper level elementary students. It caters to students who want read a good mystery/adventure. The plot introduces the main protagonist's struggles early on and slowly moves the character across the state of Michigan. It was well organized and I found no confusion as I progressed through the story. I thought the writing was well done because it showed potential dialogue that would be used the for the time period (setting) of the story. That helped myself gain a better understanding of the depression era was like and how hard it was to survive back then, let alone be an orphan. The main message of the book is to always stick with your gut feeling, and fib when appropriate. ( )
  zwatso1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The story has a very mature child tone for its attended age audience. He shows through his personal point of view how mature he is, yet he still wonders as a child his age should. The book is very detailed and informs the reader on just how tough times were during The Great Depression, even more for an orphaning child. I believe this is a story of hope, perseverance, and overall desire to be somebody. The author placed all the odds in front of the main character with being an orphan, not wanted, during arguably the worst time in U.S. history, yet he did whatever it took to find his way and make a home for himself. ( )
  kwalke18 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,892,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible