Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (1999)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

I remember having to read "Bud, Not Buddy" as a fourth grader and honestly I didn't remember much of it...but rereading it as an adult opened my eyes to the beauty of the story itself. A young African-American boy on the hunt for his father with nothing but his gut-feeling, some posters, and a strange an that seems to come into play. The book is an adventure and it takes place in Michigan! Kids love to hear about history pertaining to their city/state, with a young relateable and motivated character, to take them on this journey.
  zahammou | Dec 9, 2014 |
Genre: Historical Fiction

Ages: 9-11

Theme: People helping each other

Number of pages: 245

Great book! Talks about the Great Depression, and the journey a boy goes through to find a man that is believed to be his father. ( )
  cteets93 | Dec 8, 2014 |
This story is one of my favorites! It is one that I think students will absolutely love. The story is about a young boy during the Depression who is trying to find his father. There are a lot of lessons that can be spun off of this book (Great Depression, jazz music, unions, etc.)
  manemeth | Dec 8, 2014 |
This is by far my favorite book by Christopher Paul Curtis. This story is set during the Depression in Flint, Michigan and the main character, Bud, is trying to find his real father. I absolutely loved the story that Curtis is telling. I loved the characters as well, especially Bud. He is imaginative, curious, and resourceful. Once he comes to the conclusion that a famous jazz musician is his father, nothing will stop him from getting to where he is.

I love how Curtis tells the reader everything that Bud goes through in order to get to the person that he thinks is his father. He has to endure fear, hunger, homelessness, and abuse from other people, but eventually he gets to where he is going with the help of some kind individuals.

Curtis also does not avoid the difficulties that families went through during the depression. The reader was able to see the horrible living conditions of some families, and that they did not have enough to eat, but with some determination these families can get through anything that is thrown their way. I absolutely loved this book and it is one of my favorites in the historical fiction genre. ( )
  sreinh2 | Nov 24, 2014 |
This novel is set in Michigan during the Depression-Era. It follows the story of Bud an orphan who is seeking out who is father is after getting kicked out of a foster home. Bud knows that his father is a musician because of a photograph that his mother held on to. The novel covers the discrimination that African Americans experienced during this period. Overall it is an engaging story and Bud is a very mischievous character that students will relate to. ( )
  bmsherid | Nov 11, 2014 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:44 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,500,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible