Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

Member:LainaBourgeois
Title:Bud, Not Buddy
Authors:Christopher Paul Curtis
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Novel, Music, Family, Ages 12 and Up

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (1999)

Recently added byMrBetts, itsmesophieb13, cplkids, tslade, private library, hmshrader, Ruchiraw, andrew.ringel

English (351)  English (Middle) (1)  All (352)
This is a book that was recommended to me by students. It's often assigned reading in school, but it was never assigned for me. I didn't really have an expectation that I would either like or dislike "Bud, Not Buddy" but I definitely enjoyed it. I was sad for Bud and how he was treated in the foster care system. Even worse, it's not much better in the present day. I was interested to find out the significance of Herman E. Calloway and the Dusky Devastators of the Depression!!!!!! and I think that that was all wrapped up nicely. And I love that the author honored his grandfathers by basing two important characters on them. ( )
  danaenicole | May 27, 2017 |
Set during the Great Depression, Bud is a young boy that was put into foster care after his mother passed away. He eventually ran away after some trouble and went on a journey to find his father, who he believed was in a band. An activity that can be used with this book would be to have the students write a list of things that they would want to take with them if they went on a journey like Bud. Another activity would be to have them draw pictures of the items that they would want to take in their suitcase. ( )
  chad.erickson | Apr 23, 2017 |
Summary: A young boy is on the search to find his father after losing his mother. She left clues for him, but he is determined to not stop searching until he found him.

Personal: I remember reading this book when I was younger and he amazed me with everything in the story. He was not scared to go off on his own, he filled his suitcase with important stuff, and he was on a hunt to find his father.

Classroom: Fill a bag with important stuff that you would take with you!
  courtneynorton | Apr 17, 2017 |
This book focuses on a ten-year old orphan, Bud Caldwell, who is portrayed as insistent and hopeful. About four years after Bud’s mother’s death, he had jumped around foster families and one house in particular he hated, due to conflicts with other children in the house that lead to Bud being bullied. Bud ended up running away from his foster home in search of finding a better life. The only things he brought with him were mementos of his mother and a flier for a jazz band know as the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, where Bud thinks the lead person in the band, Herman E. Calloway, is his father. He decides to go look for the jazz band in hope of having his father accept him and raise him. Bud ends up running into people along the way that help him get to his destination to reach his father, but when Bud is faced with the jazz band, Bud’s father rejects him. Bud ended up finding the home he wants with the jazz band, when the saxophone player and the bandleader take care and comfort Bud. He finds out that his grandfather is Calloway and is welcomed to live with him in his new room that was once his mother’s. ( )
  CarlyOHaro | Mar 29, 2017 |
Summary:
The story is about a young boy who has been living in foster care. He wants to find his father and using clues his mother left for him he sets out. He does end up finding some of his family along the way he finally has he own family.

Personal Reaction

My sister had read this book when she was in elementary school and told me about it. I really enjoy book that are set in this particular time period because the stories seem to have richer and deeper meanings to them.

Exercises

Students can have a suitcase that in side has the descriptions of Bud inside as a character development lesson.

Students can create their own saxophones by making one, coloring or writing a short paper.
  CaitlinOH_22 | Mar 27, 2017 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,204,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible