Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

5,520343786 (4.12)112
Member:mollyboehme
Title:Bud, Not Buddy
Authors:Christopher Paul Curtis
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Life, Struggle

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (1999)

Recently added byprivate library, tracey.hodges, dingesa27, karinasanx, sarahroberts05, Trime, TimmyC91

English (342)  English (Middle) (1)  All (343)
Summary: Bud had lived in several foster homes and an orphanage, all by the time he was 10 years old. The story started off with him being in the foster home that Todd Amos lived in. Todd made fun of Bud every chance he had, by calling him Buddy. One day he got into a fight with Todd and decided to run away. He tried to get on the train with bugs, but ends up having to walk to Grand Rapids, but along the way he was able to get a ride. Bud had several possesions of his mother's, one which was a flyer for the Herman E. Calloway and his jazz band. Bud assumed that was his dad. Once he finds Herman, Herman treats him badly. He becomes friends with several of the band members. He learns that Herman is his grandfather, his mother's dad. No one in his family, realized that Angela, his mom, had a child or had even passed away. Bud discovers he is staying in his mother's bedroom, The part of the story that really touched my heart is when Miss Thomas tells Bud "Go ahead and cry, Bud, you're home". He finally felt the kindness of adults that cared about his well being. In the end of the story, Bud received a saxophone that he was learning how to play. He felt like there was something better for him in his future. It had been a long time since he had ever felt that way.
Personal Reaction: I remember reading this story in elementary school, and my reaction is still the same. Bud did his best to overcome obstacles that were put in front of him, even though they weren't of his making. He decided to go looking for a better life and found a way to cope with the loss of his mother.
Classroom Extension ideas: create a luggage full of special items of Buds, Character traits bubble of Bud, and have students research The Great Depression. ( )
  TimmyC91 | Dec 4, 2016 |
Bud, not buddy is a suspenseful book as your follow the young boy with his suitcase in a fight to find his father. The theme of this book is to never stop fighting. The book teaches students about different family structures. Bud is a orphan and has had to bounce from home to home. His mother is no longer with him, and he does not know his dad. Orphanage is not a topic commonly discussed, so this book is a learning opportunity for everyone who does not know someone who is a orphan. While not all cases are bad, Bud's is not good. He had an experience where he was trapped in a barn to sleep with his new family. They were horrible to him, something most of our students probably don't know about. Throughout the book the diction makes you feel for Bud. You find yourself following him and hoping he finds everything he is looking for. ( )
  pwood3 | Nov 15, 2016 |
"Bud, Not Buddy" is one of my new favorites. Bud is a young boy that has recently become an orphan. His father is a mystery and his mother never told him anything about his father. Reading this book takes you through a journey of using hints to find the man who made him.

I would recommend this book to elementary aged children 3rd and up. It's a good mix of reality, humor and adventure.
  eshiel3 | Nov 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book! Ten year old Bud, not Buddy, tells the story and the author did a fantastic job being authentic with what ten year olds would think in certain scenarios. The slang from the 1930's was easy to follow and seemed like a history lesson without sitting in class. The story had a sense of mystery as the reader was trying to figure out who Bud's father was throughout the journey from Flint, Michigan as he carrie his suitcase. This is a story that I would enjoy reading over again. It includes light humor to make the Great Depression easier to digest. One of my favorite parts to this story are the "Rules and things to have a funner life and make a better lier out of yourself." I also think it is important for people to read Christopher Curtis' note at the end of the story. He speaks to the importance of talking to your elders and learning about their past, something we should all do. ( )
  Chafkins | Nov 13, 2016 |
This book takes place during the Great Depression. It is about Bud, a ten year old boy, who escapes a terrible foster home and searches for his father. I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked how the book was written in first person. Since this story is about Bud and his journey, having him tell it gives the reader more insight into how he feels and allows you to sympathize with him. For instance, at one point he steals Lefty Lewis' car and tries to drive away. Although this may seem irresponsible, the reader sympathizes with Bud because you know that he does it because he is scared of Lefty. Second, I liked how the author adjusted his writing style to fit the story. The language is very child-like, with occasional errors, because it is technically being told by a child. For example, "...that would make the hair on your neck jump up if you were a human bean..." Bud meant "human being," but he accidentally said "human bean." This book gives a glimpse into the Great Depression and the struggles of poverty. It shows the reader how to empathize with those in poverty and how you can relate. ( )
  hollyjones | Nov 8, 2016 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,743,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible