Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

Title:Bud, Not Buddy
Authors:Christopher Paul Curtis
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Life, Struggle

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (1999)

I enjoyed reading this book and will recommend it to not only children but adults, also. ( )
  Nawras13 | Oct 23, 2016 |
I remember having this book read to me when I was in school, and I really liked it! However, I don't know what the purpose of reading this book was. After rereading it, I noticed that it has historical connections (the Great Depression), and it's an adventure of a young kid trying to find his father. Although I could read this book to my class for pure entertainment purposes, I could pick a topic this book falls under and read this book as an example. For example, some topics that this book falls under are adventure, love, and family. In order to teach those topics, I could read this book! ( )
  laurenkt | Oct 20, 2016 |
This story contains a mixture of serious and comical elements within it. It is a great story to entertain students while also allowing them to experience Bud's life. This authors uses very vivid descriptions to make the reader feel as though they are right there in the story with the characters. The author is an expert in using metaphors and similes in his story. This story is fictional but takes place during the Great Depression in Michigan which makes it a historical fiction book. I would read this story to 4th or 5th grade elementary students since Bud is facing some really challenging issues and it correlates to the social studies standards in those grades.
  CourtneyFritz93 | Oct 7, 2016 |
This is such a great way to teach your students about a time in our history (the Great Depression) from the point of view of a kid their age. I love how it is written like you are having a direct conversation with the young boy, which to me makes it easier to read.
  KristyMCooper | Oct 2, 2016 |
This fictional narrative is a great depiction of life in the 1930s.
  carleyaflores | Sep 29, 2016 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,744,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible