Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Christopher Paul Curtis

Member:mollyboehme
Title:Bud, Not Buddy
Authors:Christopher Paul Curtis
Info:Laurel Leaf (2004), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Life, Struggle

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (1999)

Bud Not Buddy tells the story of an orphan boy growing up during the depression as he attempts to find his family. Bud's travels take him to a Hooverville town as he witnesses police brutality of the poor. Bud then meets a union organizer who helps him get to Grand Rapids from Flint. Bud then meets the man who he thinks is his father, a great jazz band leader. Bud is more accepted by the rest of the band than Herman and he finds his home. Later it is revealed that Herman is actually Bud's grandfather. This historical fiction uses very strong characters to introduce the reader to a lot of the main cultural forces of the Great Depression. Many students who are in unstable homes or have come from foster care will relate to Bud's view of the world and his constant struggle to find love and family.
  SteveKorin | Jul 13, 2016 |
Plot moved slowly, and it didn't allow the reader to interpret anything for themselves. ( )
  EFHC | Jun 5, 2016 |
I actually really, really liked this book. The main thing keeping me from giving it five stars is the sloppy wrap-up at the end. Even though Bud had figured out his relation to Calloway, Calloway was still grieving, and so wasn't shown as processing the information, and his relationship with Bud wasn't explored as much as I feel it should have been, and because of this the ending wasn't satisfying. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a humorous look at the Great Depression through the eyes of a child. Bud describes how hard his life is in an orphanage and foster homes. He plots revenge on his latest foster family. I was horrified as the author described the revenge situation until the end. Then I was laughing hysterically. This was definitely my favorite part of the book. Then Bud runs away from the foster family and begins looking for his father using clues his deceased mother left behind. In the end, he finds what he was truly looking for all along--a family. Some parts dragged a little, but overall I thought this was a well-written and humorous young adult novel. I can understand why it was chosen for the Newbery award.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason is that the characters in the story are so well developed. For example, throughout the book you can tell the emotions that Bud has for his family and also the determination that he has to have the best in his life. The second reason is that book pushes the readers to think of the tough issues that were happening in the 1930's. For example, the book brings up the issues of racism and segregation that the characters and Bud face. The last reason is the language is descriptive about the setting. This makes it easier for the reader to picture what Michigan was like back in the day. The big message is to not give up on yourself and to always want the best. ( )
  wclayw1 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I dedicate this book to the following people:

Leslie and Herman Curtis Jr.
Sarah and Earl Lewis
Hazel and Herman E. Curtis Sr.
Joan and George Taylor, Nina and Sterling Sleet
Gloria and Frederick "Bud" Curtis
Virginia and F. D. Johnson, Paul Lewis
Donna and Eugene Miller
Johnnie and Don Ricks, Rosemary and Willie Swan
Carol and Lawrence Anderson
Laverne and James Cross Sr.
Carolyn and Dan Evans
Willie and Frances and Robert James
Dorothy and Theodore Johnson
Tommie and robert Epps Sr
Mr. and Mrs. Small of Liberty Street, James Wesley Sr.
Harrison Edward Patrick
James Cross Jr.
LaRon Williams, Douglas Tennant
Margaret Davidson, Roland Alums, John Nash
Suzanne Henry Jakeway
And Alvin Stockard-
all of whom led and lead by example, all of whom have been models of compassion, strength and love, all of whom I'll remember forever.
Here we go again.
"A bud is a flower-to-be. A flower-in-waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It's a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that's you." Chapter 5, pg. 42
She handed me the pencil and paper and the cities book, then said, "And when you're done with the book bring it back and I have something special for you!" She had a huge smile on her face.
 I said "Thank you, ma'am," but I didn't get too excited 'cause I know the kind of things librarians think are special.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553494104, Mass Market Paperback)

"It's funny how ideas are, in a lot of ways they're just like seeds. Both of them start real, real small and then... woop, zoop, sloop... before you can say Jack Robinson, they've gone and grown a lot bigger than you ever thought they could." So figures scrappy 10-year-old philosopher Bud--"not Buddy"--Caldwell, an orphan on the run from abusive foster homes and Hoovervilles in 1930s Michigan. And the idea that's planted itself in his head is that Herman E. Calloway, standup-bass player for the Dusky Devastators of the Depression, is his father.

Guided only by a flier for one of Calloway's shows--a small, blue poster that had mysteriously upset his mother shortly before she died--Bud sets off to track down his supposed dad, a man he's never laid eyes on. And, being 10, Bud-not-Buddy gets into all sorts of trouble along the way, barely escaping a monster-infested woodshed, stealing a vampire's car, and even getting tricked into "busting slob with a real live girl." Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963, once again exhibits his skill for capturing the language and feel of an era and creates an authentic, touching, often hilarious voice in little Bud. (Ages 8 to 12) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Ten-year-old Bud, a motherless boy living in Flint, Michigan, during the Great Depression, escapes a bad foster home and sets out in search of the man he believes to be his father--the renowned bandleader, H.E. Calloway of Grand Rapids.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,586,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible