Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian…

Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life (1982)

by Henri Nouwen, Donald P. McNeill, Douglas A. Morrison

One of the best books I read as a young Christian. As someone who struggles with compassion for other humans (a productive of personality and home-life), this challenged me and helped me understand that compassion isn't an emotion, but an action. Compassion is about hurting with those who hurt, exposing ourselves to their pain, so that we might understand with them. It means "to suffer with".
I highly recommend for anyone going into mission work, in particular in the inner city or with the homeless population. Also, any Christian, missionary or not, in the health care setting would benefit from this work. It would also be good for a group study. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 19, 2014 |

Henri Nouwenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McNeill, Donald P.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Morrison, Douglas A.main authorall editionsconfirmed
If our life in Christ means anything to you, if love can persuade at all, or the Spirit that we have in common, or any tenderness and sympathy, then be united in your convictions and united in your love, with a common purpose and a common mind. That is the one thing which would make me completely happy. There must be no competition among you, no conceit; but everybody is to be self-effacing. Always consider the othr person to be better than yourself, so that nobody thinks of his own interests instead. In your minds you must be the same as Christ Jesus.
These reflections are dedicated to Joel Filartiga the compassionate Paraguayan Doctor-Artist who made the drawings for this text; to his courageous wife, Nidia; and to the memory of their seventeen-year-old son Joelito who was tortured to death by a police squad on March 30, 1976
The word compassion generally evokes positive feelings. We like to think of ourselves as compassionate people who are basically good, gentle, and understanding.

A provocative essay that places compassion at the  heart of Christian life as a counterbalance and a  challenge to a world governed far too long by  principles of power and destructive control.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,674,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible