The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara

The Glorious Cause (2002)

by Jeff Shaara

Recently added byarchiebragg, rosko, lwhitmill, JColgan, mancmilhist, 1Randal, scarycreek, redmandjd50, private library

Think you know the Revolutionary War? So did I, but I find the more I read, the more I didn't know. This book picks up with Brooklyn and goes through to the final siege of Yorktown.

Nobody writes war stories like Shaara. He does such a great job of describing the key figures, of telling the story behind the conflict, and of explaining where things are happening. I have a hard time picturing things out without a map. I'm not really a visual reader. So if a writer gets to specific about where things are going on, I can't piece it together unless there's a map.

But for me, the people were really what made the story come alive. I loved reading about them. Ben Franklin, General Cornwallis, Lafayette, Washington - all of them were there, including my cousin, Nathanael Greene. (Yeah, it's distant, but still, he's my cuz!) He even takes the time to tell one scene from the perspective of a captive on the prison ships held in New York, as Cornwallis sails back to England.

Absolutely 5 stars. ( )
1 vote cmbohn | Apr 21, 2012 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 5, 2011 |
Liked it, lots of battles. Will buy. ( )
  Neilsantos | Oct 8, 2010 |
If you like Shaara you'll like this. No surprises here at all. ( )
  chrisod | Aug 15, 2010 |
This is one historical novel that's as much history as it is novel. It reads very much like some popular histories I've read, with the only significant difference being the absence of footnotes/endnotes. Although the novel is long (nearly 700 pages in the mass market paperback edition), it necessarily hits only the highlights of the Revolutionary War, with some conflicts such as the Battle of Saratoga receiving only a brief mention. Shaara's selection of the skirmishes and major battles for his tale serves to reveal the strengths and weaknesses of the officers on each side of the conflict, the opportunities that were either taken advantage of or wasted, and the fragility of the American cause on many occcasions.

I was probably in high school the last time I read a general overview of the Revolutionary War. Most of the reading I've done since then has focused on specific battles, geographic regions, or individual participants. The book provided me with a useful overview of the war as well as an entertaining read.

Shaara's novel allows the reader to experience the war from the perspective of several key figures, providing insight into what they might have thought and felt about the war. It will not substitute for any of the standard histories of the American Revolution, but I highly recommend it as supplmentary reading. ( )
2 vote cbl_tn | Jul 5, 2009 |
Dedicated to my great-grandparents
Giuseppe and Anna Sciarra
who left Italy one hundred years ago,
and brought their dreams to America.
The legacy of our founding fathers
takes many forms.
He had sat out the raw mistery of the storm through most of the night, keeping his boat tight against the shore.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345427580, Mass Market Paperback)

The despair and triumph of America’s first great army is conveyed in scenes as powerful as any Shaara has written, a story told from the points of view of some of the most memorable characters in American history. There is George Washington, the charismatic leader who held his army together to achieve an unlikely victory; Charles Cornwallis, the no-nonsense British general, more than a match for his colonial counterpart; Nathaniel Greene, who rose from obscurity to become the finest battlefield commander in Washington’s army; The Marquis de Lafayette, the young Frenchman who brought a soldier’s passion to America; and Benjamin Franklin, a brilliant man of science and philosophy who became the finest statesman of his day.

From Nathan Hale to Benedict Arnold, William Howe to “Light Horse” Harry Lee, from Trenton and Valley Forge, Brandywine and Yorktown, the American Revolution’s most immortal characters and poignant moments are brought to life in remarkable Shaara style. Yet, The Glorious Cause is more than just a story of the legendary six-year struggle. It is a tribute to an amazing people who turned ideas into action and fought to declare themselves free. Above all, it is a riveting novel that both expands and surpasses its beloved author’s best work.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:50 -0400)

In Rise to Rebellion, bestselling author Jeff Shaara captured the origins of the American Revolution as brilliantly as he depicted the Civil War in Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure. Now he continues the amazing saga of how thirteen colonies became a nation, taking the conflict from kingdom and courtroom to the bold and bloody battlefields of war. It was never a war in which the outcome was obvious. Despite their spirit and stamina, the colonists were outmanned and outfought by the brazen British army. General George Washington found his troops trounced in the battles of Brooklyn and Manhattan and retreated toward Pennsylvania. With the future of the colonies at its lowest ebb, Washington made his most fateful decision: to cross the Delaware River and attack the enemy. The stunning victory at Trenton began a saga of victory and defeat that concluded with the British surrender at Yorktown, a moment that changed the history of the world. The despair and triumph of Americab2ss first great army is conveyed in scenes as powerful as any Shaara has written, a story told from the points of view of some of the most memorable characters in American history. There is George Washington, the charismatic leader who held his army together to achieve an unlikely victory; Charles Cornwallis, the no-nonsense British general, more than a match for his colonial counterpart; Nathaniel Greene, who rose from obscurity to become the finest battlefield commander in Washingtonb2ss army; The Marquis de Lafayette, the young Frenchman who brought a soldierb2ss passion to America; and Benjamin Franklin, a brilliant man of science and philosophy who became the finest statesman of his day. From Nathan Hale to Benedict Arnold, William Howe to b3sLight Horseb4s Harry Lee, from Trenton and Valley Forge, Brandywine and Yorktown, the American Revolutionb2ss most immortal characters and poignant moments are brought to life in remarkable Shaara style. Yet, The Glorious Cause is more than just a story of the legendary six-year struggle. It is a tribute to an amazing people who turned ideas into action and fought to declare themselves free. Above all, it is a riveting novel that both expands and surpasses its beloved authorb2ss best work.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible