Here is New York by E. B. White

Here is New York (1949)

by E. B. White

The Owl Pen by Kenneth McNeill Wells (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: Both The Owl Pen by Kenneth McNeill Wells and Here is New York by E. B. White describe living on a farm in the countryside, with nostalgia for the old ways of living that were still around in the 1920s - 1950s, but came under pressure later in the century.
    Apple of My Eye by Helene Hanff (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: Another love story to New York!

Exquisite, nearly all-encompassing, vibrant, and truthful. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
E.B. White paints the perfect picture of New York City. Akin to Kerouac did describing the Beat Community in the 1950's in On the Road, I felt the nostalgia for times I was never a part of. There was a quiet wistfulness in his prose. There was one paragraph where White talks about New York's destructibility that was prophetic, creepily so.

I loved it. My only complaint was the length. It was far too short. It only contributes to dream like quality. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
Brief, but breathtakingly brilliant ( )
  Faradaydon | Dec 31, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446388297, Paperback)

"On any person who desires such queer prizes, New York will bestow the gift of loneliness and the gift of privacy." So begins E.B. White's classic meditation on that noisiest, most public of American cities. Written during the summer of 1948, well after the author and editor had taken up permanent residence in Maine, Here Is New York is a fond glance back at the city of his youth, when White was one of the "young worshipful beginners" who give New York its passionate character. It's also a tribute to the sheer implausibility of the place--the tangled infrastructure, the teeming humanity, the dearth of air and light. Much has changed since White wrote this essay, yet in a city "both changeless and changing" there are things here that will doubtless ring equally true 100 years from now. To wit, "New Yorkers temperamentally do not crave comfort and convenience--if they did they would live elsewhere."

Anyone who's ever cherished his essays--or even Charlotte's Web--knows that White is the most elegant of all possible stylists. There's not a sentence here that does not make itself felt right down to the reader's very bones. What would the author make of Giuliani's New York? Or of Times Square, Disney-style? It's hard to say for sure. But not even Planet Hollywood could ruin White's abiding sense of wonder: "The city is like poetry: it compresses all life ... into a small island and adds music and the accompaniment of internal engines." This lovely new edition marks the 100th anniversary of E.B. White's birth--cause for celebration indeed. --Mary Park

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

The author describes the sites and character of the city in 1949

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1892145022, 1590174798

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,481,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible