The Poetic Edda by Anonymous

The Poetic Edda

by Anonymous, Saemund Sigfusson (Alleged author)

The Nibelungenlied by Anonymous (andejons)
    andejons: Much of the story of Nibelungenlied is also told in the poetic Edda, but in considerably shorter form but with some extra material. There are also many points that differ.
    The Skalds A Selection of Their Poems, with Introduction and Notes by Lee M. Hollander (Rowntree)
    Rowntree: An interesting examination of skaldic verse forms.
    The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J. R. R. Tolkien (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: De legende van Sigurd en Gudrún bevat twee epische gedichten die zijn gebaseerd op Oudnoorse mythen die bekendstaan als de Edda. Tolkien herschreef deze legende in twee modern Engelse gedichten. Samen vormen deze het verhaal van de drakendoder Sigurd, de wraak van Gudrún en de val van de Nibelungen.… (more)

English (13)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  All (17)
I bought this book several years ago and by several I mean many but never got around to reading it in its entirely. I thought it was about time I did that, so.. well, I did. Although it took me ages to finish it, that is in no way a reflection on the quality of the book itself - more my ability to be distracted, etc. So, let's get on with the review.

As someone not terribly familiar with Norse myth, I came away from the book feeling that I understood the essence of it a bit better. Having recently traveled to Austria, and in previous years been to much of the Baltic region, I felt that those trips supplemented my understanding of the text a bit more than the copious notes at the back of the book did.

The way that the book was set up was a bit troubling to me. The notes at the back of it, rather than say.. footnotes, or notes on the side of the page, made for much flipping. At times, the notes were just reminders of the meaning of certain words (e.g. norns and disir) rather than truly supplementary or explanatory material.

The translation of the texts was good, if a bit.. heady. Having the translation be rather literal, including phrases such as "slaughter dew" when referencing blood, or "foot twigs" instead of toes always came off as a rather interesting choice. It added to the feel of the text itself - you could never forget you were reading something fairly ancient, rather than bringing the ancient into a more modern time period such as [a:Seamus Heaney|29574|Seamus Heaney|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1200407647p2/29574.jpg]'s translation of [b:Beowulf|52357|Beowulf|Unknown|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1298256739s/52357.jpg|189503] did.

All in all, I did enjoy the book, but it would not be remiss for me to look into more contemporary or, rather, just alternate translations of what I read. I'm tempted to read Snorri's translation of the Prose Edda, though, which would be an even more.. insurmountable sort of task. Perhaps I should look up easier guides to the Nordic mythology prior to doing so, so I'm not jumping in entirely brainlessly. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I read [b:The Prose Edda|24658|The Prose Edda|Snorri Sturluson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388200536s/24658.jpg|1198450] some while back and was influenced heavily by it, so naturally I had to read The Poetic Edda. This is a different beastie. It's not what I would call light reading; it took me a long time to get through it. It's big, complex, loaded with footnotes (which I soon discovered were worth picking through if I wanted to follow what was going on) and dry, professorial commentaries on the origins, quality, verse patterns and completeness of each lay. The glossary in the back was handy.

After a short time, however, it got under my skin. It has a mood that feels like the North. I found myself thinking in verse. It affected my writing. I had dreams about it. It made me want to listen to music like Opeth and Wolves In The Throne Room. The imagery and the way the words are put together open a window into a mythical, epic world of heroes, wolves, ravens, dragons, dwarves, elves, swords, forests, curses, love and tragedy. A must-read for any traditional fantasy buff, this work is inspiring and just plain beautiful.

I wasn't sure how to rate it. It almost seems beyond that. So I gave it five stars because I'm a geek and I love this stuff.
  ftmckinstry | Mar 31, 2018 |
The Scandis are the best because they cover both extremes. The Norse gods take us on a cosmic journey beyond our imagination, from the birth of the world out of the bones of the ice giant Ymir to its death at the hands of the fire demon Surtr, and then, like, fart on our pillow, or pants us in front of the whole fishing village. Essential if anything is. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jan 11, 2017 |
If you're really interested in Norse mythology, this is a must-read. However, if you want an easy-to-understand version or are not already familiar with the stories, it might be best to find another book. There are so many footnotes that it can be easy to forget what the footnotes were referring to. I had to reread the whole book before I felt like I remembered anything from it. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
Viking/Scandinavian heroes written by someone in Iceland around 950 AD. Brutal people who ruled the Baltic and North Atlantic. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

von Rosen, GeorgIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Jan deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zorn, AndersIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR JOHN [Larrington translation]
Ongeveer vanaf het jaar870 werd Ijsland razendsnel gekoloniseerd.
INTRODUCTION [Larrington Translation] -- the old, one-eyed god Odin hands nine days and nights on the windswept ash-tree Yggdrasill, sacrificing himself to himself; the red-bearded Thor swings his powerful hammer against the giant enemy; the ravening wolf Fenrir leaps forward to seize the Father of the Gods in his slavering jaws, the terrible passion of Brynhild for the dragon-slayer Sigurd culminates in her implacable demand for his murder -- all these famous scenes from Old Norse myth and legend are found in their oldest and most original form in the Poetic Edda.
The Seeress's Prophecy (Voluspa), composed mainly in the fornyrdislag metre, is recited by a seeress who can remember before the beginning of the world and who can see as far ahead as after Ragnarok - the Doom of the Gods.

(translated by Carolyne Larrington, 1996)
Please do not combine with the Prose Edda - a very different work

The Poetic Edda comprises a treasure trove of mythic and spiritual verse holding an important place in Nordic culture, literature, and heritage. Its tales of strife and death form a repository, in poetic form, of Norse mythology and heroic lore, embodying both the ethical views and the cultural life of the North during the late heathen and early Christian times.

Collected by an unidentified Icelander, probably during the twelfth or thirteenth century, The Poetic Edda was rediscovered in Iceland in the seventeenth century by Danish scholars. Even then its value as poetry, as a source of historical information, and as a collection of entertaining stories was recognized. This meticulous translation succeeds in reproducing the verse patterns, the rhythm, the mood, and the dignity of the original in a revision that Scandinavian Studies says "may well grace anyone's bookshelf."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:05 -0400)

With informative but accessible text, the sport is brought to life. This work offers an in-depth look at the sport, from its history and beginnings to the modern game, how it's played, who plays it and the rules that govern it. Packed with facts, stats and full-colour photographs, this is the essential guide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,538,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible