Censoring Science: Inside the Political…

Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the… (2008)

by Mark Bowen

The appalling anti-intellectualism of the George W. Bush administration.
Chilling. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This relates to what is probably the most important issue of our time, and also to one of my favorite questions: is George W. Bush wicked or stupid, or, as I like to think, both. His administration reminded me of someone who used to fascinate me by telling lies that time alone would reveal to be false, much as if a woman lied about being pregnant. Somehow, she was always surprised when truth caught up with her.

Unfortunately, while it is in some ways a superb record of a disgraceful attempt to block science from revealing inconvenient truths, truths which the government is supposed to be structured to encourage, it is somewhat tedious, and unlikely to electrify the citizenry. Published at the end of Bush's presidency, its purpose is somewhat unclear and perhaps this is one of the problems. I finished about a third of it before giving up. I think that I got the message, so perhaps I am not losing too much. Perhaps I was just too tired, or perhaps I'm in the early stages of senility, but I decided that my memory is not up to this book. Bowen throws out a vast number of names, acronyms, jumps back and forth in time, and introduces topics with a promise to talk about them later. He did the last once too often for me. The index simply isn't good enough to be much help to the reader if they forget some previously related detail. While one can look up people, topics are trickier, and if you've forgotten an acronym you are sunk because they are not in the index. A list of characters and acronyms and so forth would have been a great help.

This is an extremely detailed account that would be a model of writing the history of a political issue, but it is rather marred by the author's and publisher's decision not to have footnotes or endnotes, or a bibliography. Telling us to google for verification sounds like one of the nightmares of technological luddite, although Bowen has also given us websites to consult. I don't think that anyone who can wade through the text would be scared off by notes. I hope that Bowen kept to his promise to list them on his website, and that they stay there.
  juglicerr | Feb 19, 2012 |
The book is not what I expected it to be. I gave up after 75 pages, which is rare for me. Think I was looking for a scientific book on climate change and all I got was a bunch of midlevel bureaucrats doing what they do best, which is nothing. A complete time waster. ( )
  RChurch | Sep 16, 2010 |
I left Earth three times, and found no other place to go.

Please take care of Spaceship Earth.

-- Wally Schirra
We need to develop a generation of habitual truth-tellers.

-- Paul O'Neill
for Jack and Leigh and Wendy
One sweltering June afternoon in 1988, an understated Iowan named James Hansen turned global warming into an international issue with one sentence.
He told a group of reporters in a hearing room, just after testifying to a Senate committee, "It's time to stop waffling . . . and say that the greenhouse effect is here and is affecting our climate now." (p. [1])
You might be surprised to learn that the experience of writing this book has left me with a sense of admiration for the vast majority of the public servants who work in our federal government. (Acknowledgments, p. [309])

CONTENTS:
The cardinal rule -- "This is coming from the top" -- "A dirty little secret" -- "Because the White House has a no surprises rule" -- "Gretchen, do not e-mail me on this" -- A theory of government we must vociferously oppose -- Congratulations for your "non award" -- The veil of Venus -- "A logical, well-reasoned conclusion" -- "Me, too".

From acclaimed writer and physicist Mark Bowen, Censoring Science tells the true story of the Bush administration’s censorship of the world’s preeminent climatologist, and the science behind global warming that they do not want you to know.

The facts don’t lie:
• 2005 was the warmest year since the invention of the thermometer.
• 2006 is on track to become the hottest year ever recorded in the United States.
• The six hottest years on record have occurred in the last eight years, and the twenty-two hottest years on record have occurred in the last twenty-six years.

Preeminent climatologist and leading NASA scientist Dr. James Hansen has been studying climate for over three decades. It was his testimony to a Senate committee in 1988 that first brought the threat of global warming to the world’s attention. In January 2006, news broke that the Bush administration had been attempting to censor Dr. Hansen—obscuring his message and suppressing the vast body of his scientific work, which unequivocally demonstrates the reality and immense danger of global warming.

Now, for the first time and with unfiltered access, writer and physicist Mark Bowen finally tells the exclusive story of Hansen’s decades-long battle to bring the truth about global warming to light. Censoring Science illuminates the real science behind global warming and maintains that we can still prevent environmental disaster, while both strengthening our economy and our national security. In the tradition of Ron Suskind’s blockbuster bestseller, The Price of Loyalty, Censoring Science exposes the truth behind the administration’s spin doctors, and shares the inside story of one of the most important and influential scientists of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:45 -0400)

"Censoring Science is the true story of the Bush Administration's censorship of the world's preeminent climatologist, Dr. James Hansen, and the science behind global warming that the government doesn't want you to know." "Mark Bowen's extensive interviews give an inside account of the outrageous "swift boating" of vital science - how some of the most important, brilliant, and influential climatology of our time was censored, and though the news got out, it was tarnished by unreasonable doubts that are still being engineered. Censoring Science illuminates the real science behind global warming and maintains that we can still prevent environmental disaster, while strengthening both our economy and our national security."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible