The Bible Salesman by Clyde Edgerton

The Bible Salesman

by Clyde Edgerton

219None52,993 (3.19)11

Meh. The reviews that I read said it was 'hysterical'. I didn't find anything funny about it, and I have a pretty dry sense of humor. The story is dull and the writing is poor. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I love Clyde Edgerton. This one jumped around awkwardly in time. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Edgerton's story of a young, wildly naïve bible salesman who falls into the web of wayward car thief and career criminal, Preston Clearwater, somewhat disappoints. It seems that it's trying to be a comedy but isn't quite funny enough. The parts with hapless Henry unwittingly falling for Clearwater's ruse that he's working with the FBI to bust a car theft ring pair unevenly with much more compelling tastes of the bible salesman's childhood. Here is the odd book that might have been better had it taken itself a little more seriously. ( )
  yourotherleft | Nov 9, 2013 |
eh...it was just OK. I wish there was more of Henry's backstory because I didn't really enjoy any of the Henry/Clearwater story). ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
Clyde Edgerton's WALKING ACROSS EGYPT is one of my favorites, and the first book of his that I read. Perhaps because I liked it so much, all the others of his I've read have been slightly disappointing. The Bible Salesman was also, and this may be unfair. Although I wouldn't call it laugh-out-loud funny, it did produce a chuckle or two and a lot of wry grins. Edgerton has a great ear for his native Southern dialect and I always appreciate that. It's difficult to read this book without comparing and contrasting to Flannery O'Connor's WISE BLOOD; they'd make a good pair for a book discussion. I'd still recommend Walking Across Egypt first, but this book is certainly worth reading. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
mostly the novel rides like the cars Clearwater steals, bouncing gently over the bumpy back roads.
added by doomjesse | editNew York Times, John Leland (Aug 29, 2008)

A man driving a new Chrysler automobile along a dirt road near the North Carolina mountain town of Cressler saw a boy up ahead, dressed in a black suit, white shirt, black tie, with a suitcase and valise by his feet. The boy was standing in front of a grocery store, thumbing a ride.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031611751X, Hardcover)

Preston Clearwater has been a criminal since stealing two chain saws and 1600 pairs of aviator sunglasses from the Army during the Second World War. Back on the road in post-war North Carolina, a member of a car-theft ring, he picks up hitch-hiking Henry Dampier, an innocent nineteen-year-old Bible salesman. Clearwater immediately recognizes Henry as just the associate he needs--one who will believe Clearwater is working as an F.B.I. spy; one who will drive the cars Clearwater steals as Clearwater follows along in another car at a safe distance. Henry joyfully sees a chance to lead a dual life as Bible salesman and a G-man.
During his hilarious and scary adventures we learn of Henry's fundamentalist youth, an upbringing that doesn't prepare him for his new life. As he falls in love and questions his religious training, Henry begins to see he's being used--that the fun and games are over, that he is on his own in a way he never imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:55 -0400)

In post-war North Carolina, a member of a car-theft ring picks up an innocent nineteen-year-old Bible saleman and recognizes the young man as just the associate he needs--one who will believe he is working as an F.B.I. spy, one who will drive the cars he steals.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible