The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning

The Highlander's Touch (2000)

by Karen Marie Moning

Series: Highlander Saga (3)

Adam Black was the best part in this book. We find out he has a heart and an interesting past. Lisa is boring as a female character,week and floppy minded. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
The Highlander’s Touch by Karen Marie Moning
Book #3: Highlander Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Circenn Brodie has lived for many centuries and survived by always abiding by his code. The men who have served with Circenn know of his commitment and his code and in his current state, they all know the man needs to find himself a woman.

Lisa’s life is nothing to be jealous of. She works two jobs, has given up on her dream of a college degree, and has a mother who is terminally ill. Though Lisa is certainly sad about her situation, she never complains and will continue to carry whatever burden she must in order to make things easier for her mother. For one so young, Lisa carries a tremendous load and it won’t get any better once her mother is gone because of the serious debt they have incurred during her illness. Lisa’s only consolation is her night job at the museum, a place that has allowed her to learn even while she works. Never in a million years did she ever believe she would a get chance for a little hands on learning.

When Lisa lands in the middle of early-14th century Scotland she has no idea how she got there nor why she is standing in the middle of a room staring at the most beautiful man she has ever seen in her life. All she wants is to get back to her mother and her life but the gorgeous man keeps telling her no and asking her about the flask that came with her. Turns out, the appearance of the flask brings into play one of Ciercenn’s famed vows; he must kill the person who returns to object to him. Problem is, the person who returned the flask is stirring things in Ciercenn he vowed to never feel again. When you’re immortal and your mate isn’t, well, there’s only so much a man can take.

As Lisa slowly begins to accept that she won’t be returning to her own time and place she also begins to fall a little more in love with Ciercenn and his time and place. In Ciercenn’s world, Lisa is a cherished woman whose quick wit and intelligence are quickly making her one of Ciercenn’s favorite people. The only thing left for her to do to completely immerse herself in 14th century Scotland is to give herself to Ciercenn sexually and he is bound and determined to woo her into his bed. Just as things begin to get really good between the couple, Ciercenn is called back into battle and Lisa is swept back in time though it isn’t her own time and place.

The Bottom Line: Moning trots out the touch an object get thrown around in time again but it’s just a means to an end. Lisa and Ciercenn are clearly meant to be together but that is thanks to a bit of meddling on the part of Adam Black. Oh yes, Adam is back and he has more than a few tricks up his sleeve; he has plans and information that is directly related to Ciercenn, Lisa, and their future together. While I enjoyed the romance between Lisa and Ciercenn, I enjoyed the backstory with Adam and the Templars even more. The plot has highs and lows with lots of action and intrigue; the low points are generally carried with decent dialogue and the high points are carried with intense action. In short, The Highlander’s Touch will keep you moving forward and keep you interested from start to finish. ( )
  arthistorychick | Dec 20, 2015 |
Loved it! This Highlander series is totally blowing my mind. The sotires are always very compelling with lots of emotions throughout the whole book to keep us entertained and/or crying our eyes out. Lisa and Cin were deliciously great together and it was a treat to see how their story would end. Amazing! ( )
  msralways | Feb 3, 2015 |
This book didn’t really do anything for me. The plot seemed lacking, because it felt like Cin and Lisa were just running in circles the whole time. This is mostly because there’s way too much communication problems going on. I would’ve liked to have seen Cin and Lisa talk more in the beginning to get all those little problems out of the way, so that they could concentrate more on the whole flask deal and maybe been given a villain to contend with. Instead we have this huge ass hole in the book where Lisa is fanatically searching for the flask because she’s clinging to the idea that it will whisk her back home and Cin is brooding over the fact that he’s attracted to Lisa but he shouldn’t trust her because she’s so intent on the flask. Plus even if her intentions are pure there’s still the problem of him being immortal and her being mortal. So if he decided to keep her she’d up and keel over some day and he’d be left back at square one.

Cin was an interesting character with all his problems with his immortality and him not liking his fae powers. It was fun to watch him work through his problems and to see him gradually loosen up. Lisa on the other hand was just okay. We never got to know too much about her aside from what happened to her mother and father. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
The Highlander's Touch resonated with me. No wait, let's be more specific. Lisa resonated with me. Her experience as a carer is so accurately portrayed I have to wonder if Moning has ever been one. Many times I read something and said, "Yes. This is what it's like. Exactly." So thank you for that. What an unexpected to surprise. This is the reason for the 'favourites' shelf.

I appreciated Cicernn's knight-in-shining-armour routine, his understanding Lisa's refusal to enjoy herself while her mother lay dying and alone, and feeling she didn't deserve to be happy having had no reason to feel much positive emotion in years. Everything else...was okay, worthy of a 3-3.5★ rating, but a solid 4★ for what this meant to me personally. Moning's author note is a stark warning for all women to ensure they attend regular cervical smear tests. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Karen Marie Moningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gigante, PhilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I am that merry wanderer of the night
I jest to Oberon and make him smile"
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Adam Black materialized in the Greathall.
But if you break your vow, how will you explain it to Adam?
Oh, for Christ's sake!.....Duncan! Alesone! Get out of the kitchen! Take it to the rooms upstairs! You know I have rules----
What did you find out, Ruby? Don't try to distract me with tea. Has anyone seen my daughter?.......................No one has seen her since night before last. The museum's security cameras have her on tape. The last recorded image of her is outside Steinman's office
It is a woman. I need you to claim her as your cousin, and when you meet her to pretend it is the renewal of an old acquaintance. Cousin by blood--Lisa MacRobertson.
You are in dire need of a mam. Speaking of which, you and I have a date with warm water and soap later this afternoon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440236525, Mass Market Paperback)

A Warrior Of Immortal Powers

He was a mighty Scottish warrior who lived in a world bound by ancient laws and timeless magic. But no immortal powers could prepare the laird of Castle Brodie for the lovely accursed lass who stood before him. A terrible trick of fate had sent her 700 years back in time and into his private chamber to tempt him with her beauty—and seduce him with a desire he could never fulfill. For this woman he burned to possess was also
the woman he had foresworn to destroy.

A Woman Caught In The Mists Of Time

When Lisa felt the earth move under her feet, the fiercely independent 21st-century woman never dreamed she was falling...into another century. But the powerful, naked warrior who stood glaring down at her was only too real...and too dangerously arousing. Irresistibly handsome he might be, but Lisa had no intention of remaining in this savage land torn by treachery and war. How could she know that her seductive captor had other plans for her...plans that would save her from a tragic fate? Or that this man who had long ago forsaken love would defy time itself to claim her for his own....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

Lisa, a modern-day woman, is hurtled back in time seven hundred years into the arms of the Highlander, a powerful Scottish warrior and laird of Castle Brodie, who lives in a savage world of magic and treachery and who could hold the key to a sacred elixir that could save the life of her dying mother.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,094,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible