The Great Warming: Climate Change and the…

The Great Warming: Climate Change and the Rise and Fall of Civilizations (2008)

by Brian Fagan

Recently added byjldorner, private library, kerrygiven, rodrick, GMGee, auldtwa1

A fascinating look at the Medieval Warming period that includes not only Europe, but just about every part of the world. Fagan presents various examples of how the warming period (which was not a consistent warmth, but a period of cyclical warmth resulting from, among a few things, El Nino/La Nina changes.) The resulting analysis is convincing if not a bit repetative, since most of the areas he describes (Mexico, Peru/Chile, Africa, India & China) all suffer from droughts while Europe and Northern North America flourish (or at least benefit, as in the case of the Norsemen and Inuits who ended up trading with one another).

Mixed in with his clearly presented info on climatology is historical information, all backed by Fagan's years and years of research. He does not limit his focus to just weather or just archeology. He blends many factors together to form his final argument.

Which is essentially that we are fucked if all we do is worry about temperature and not drought.

One thing that did nothing for me was Fagan's attempt, at the start of every chapter, to set the scene. Ultimately, each piece is awash in vagaries and simply sets up a general idea of key features of the civilization/tribe/culture that is about to be discussed. I guess it's an attempt to "liven things up" that I didn't need but others might appreciate. Since I only read 1-2 non-fiction books a year, I was more interested in the analyses.

Edited: to fix misspelling of author's last name. ( )
  evanroskos | Mar 30, 2013 |
The Great Warming describes the effect of the period known as the Great Medieval Warming on weather patterns around the world. These changes in climate affected nearly every culture around the world, some in positive ways, but mostly in negative ways. Fagan uses nontechnical prose to discuss these cultural impacts, but manages to convey the depth of recent research in understanding the effects of climate shifts on humans.

Fagan clearly expresses recent ideas and results, but can be a little repetitive at times. This and his lack of depth in discussing research methods are my only complaints about the book. In spite of this, the work was well worth the time spent, and I plan to pick up others Fagan has written - such as The Little Ice Age. ( )
  drneutron | May 12, 2008 |
This book concentrates more on the Americas, China, and the Pacific than does "The Little Ice Age" that comes after it. I became interested in Climate and history because I am so constantly irritated by open mouthed awe that blames EVERYTHING from Low dresses to high dresses to whatever on the Little Ice Age, so I bought that book. Then I saw this one in the If you like this you might like these on Amazon.
Opened up a whole new way of seeing European history and particularly English which is what I am interested in. ( )
  reginaromsey | Apr 3, 2008 |
"All right," said the Cheshire Cat; and this time it vanished slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

--Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865)
To

the Great Cat of Ra and the Venerable Bede

Black-and-whites extraordinary
The great house, Pueblo Bonito, stands gaunt and silent, nestling under the precipitous cliff, the serried rooms open to the gray sky. (preface)
Southern England, fall, A.D. 1200. (text)

Table of Contents:

A time of warming --The mantle of the poor --The flail of god --The golden trade of the Moors --Inuit and Qadlunaat --The megadrought epoch --Acorns and pueblos --Lords of the water mountains --The lords of Chimor --Bucking the trades --The flying fish ocean --China's sorrow --The silent elephant.

"What a difference a degree makes. From the tenth to the fifteenth century the earth experienced a rise in average temperature that changed climate worldwide - a preview of today's global warming. As archaeologist Brian Fagan shows in these pages, subtle shifts in the environment had far-reaching effects on human life." "Fagan unfolds both a scientific detective story, showing how centuries-old weather patterns can be reconstructed from scattered clues, and a vivid and timely historical narrative. A study of the first Great Warming suggests we may yet be underestimating the power of climate change to disrupt our lives today."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

45 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible