The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

The House of the Spirits (1982)

by Isabel Allende

Recently added by500books, Kmilspain3098, Victoria.H, Hadden89, Kklein1, private library, pba-estate, Watry, dylanwolf
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch

English (134)  Spanish (13)  Italian (8)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (171)
Grazie a Mario per avermelo prestato, avermi lasciato, avermi ripreso, avermi di nuovo lasciato... ma con un bel libro! ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
2.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Now THIS was the Isabel Allende that I remember. Beautiful. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I'm about 2/3 thru the book and can hardly put it down but I wanted to collect my thoughts before diving into the final pages.
I'm at a loss to see how everything is going to tie together.
The cast of characters is a revolving door, coming and going, living and dying, exit stage left, oh no here is another cast of characters to develop and insert into this dreamy fairy tale of life in the 20th century in South America!
I have read several of her books and sometimes the brutality of life in South America causes me distress. I have found that I just skim or totally avoid the passages that are too gruesome for me. Especially the animals. As I grow older I can take cruelty towards humans, but can not tolerate it directed towards helpless animals..
Chickens, bunnies, poor puppies, cows, horses and the list is endless. "Kill that dog!" For what? Just being a dog doing what dogs do? I know this is an unreasonable response to character development and descriptions. I just can't handle it.

Thank God the cruelty to animals was just a pretuner to the cruelty to humans.

I skipped the pages of torture knowing I did not need the written word to sear the actions of the despicable into my minds eye.

Kind of dense over all, but a pretty good story. Kind of like Gone with the Wind salsa style. Very sweeping. ( )
  Alphawoman | Mar 26, 2018 |
A good friend suggested this book, because he thought I might like it. It's a family-chronicle about three generations of strong women, with a ray of magic over it. The book would have been ok without the magic too because it felt a bit strained. But I liked the story, didn't love it though. I will try to read other books by Allende because I like her style. ( )
  MGovers | Mar 15, 2018 |
Primera novela de Isabel Allende, La casa de los espíritus narra la saga de una poderosa familia de terratenientes latinoamericanos. El despótico patriarca Esteban Trueba ha construido, con mano de hierro, un imperio privado que empieza a tambalearse a raíz del paso del tiempo y de un entorno social explosivo. Finalmente, la decadencia personal del patriarca arrastrará a los Trueba a una dolorosa desintegración. Atrapados en unas dramáticas relaciones familiares, los personajes de esta portentosa novela encarnan las tensiones sociales y espirituales de una época que abarca gran parte de este siglo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Otter, SaskiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MichelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Николаева, СусаннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How much does a man live, after all?
Does he live a thousand days, or one only?
For a week, or for several centuries?
How long does a man spend dying?
What does it mean to say "for ever"?

Pablo Neruda
To my mother, my grandmother,
and all the other extraordinary women
of this story.
Barrabás came to us by sea, the child Clara wrote in her delicate calligraphy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553273914, Mass Market Paperback)

Here, in an astonishing debut by a gifted storyteller, is the magnificent saga of proud and passionate men and women and the turbulent times through which they suffer and triumph. They are the Truebas. And theirs is a world you will not want to leave, and one you will not forget.

Esteban -- The patriarch, a volatile and proud man whose lust for land is legendary and who is haunted by his tyrannical passion for the wife he can never completely possess.

Clara -- The matriarch, elusive and mysterious, who foretells family tragedy and shapes the fortunes of the house of the Truebas.

Blanca -- Their daughter, soft-spoken yet rebellious, whose shocking love for the son of her father's foreman fuels Esteban's everlasting contempt... even as it produces the grandchild he adores.

Alba -- The fruit of Blanca's forbidden love, a luminous bearty, a fiery and willful woman... the family's break with the past and link to the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:53 -0400)

The Trueba family embodies strong feelings from the beginning of the 2 through the assassination of Allende in 1973.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,458,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible