The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

The House of the Spirits (original 1982; edition 1986)

by Isabel Allende

A magnificent saga of proud and passionate men and women and the turbulent times through which they suffer and triumph. They are the Truebas. And theirs is a world you will not want to leave, and one you will not forget.
Member:msbaba
Title:The House of the Spirits
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:Bantam (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:Fiction

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (1982)

1980s (25)
Ghosts (15)
My TBR (84)

English (144)  Spanish (13)  Italian (8)  Dutch (6)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (182)
Mayores de 16 años
  Alba26 | Aug 22, 2019 |
This was book 4 of the Life's Library Book club. I've known about Allende and her work for years, but this was my first opportunity to read any. I'm glad I did.

Its the story of Esteban and Clara Truela and their family in post-Colonial Chile. Esteban is a successful landowner who in the mirror of today's world is a completely unredeemable character. When I first read about some of the things he did, if I didn't know that it was a woman who wrote him, I might have been inclined to stop. Clara is bit of a mystic and their daughter and granddaughter both impress and disappoint their parents as they live their mostly upper crust lives in a country that is headed towards revolution. An excellent read. One of the interesting literary devices Allende uses, is that any chapter focusing on Esteban is told in the first person, everything else is in the third person by a narrator who is telling the family story from the future and knows what is going to happen. Several times she blatantly foreshadows things (mostly tragic) that will soon happen.
Quotes: I blamed Rosa for the years I had spent dreaming of her deep within the mine. I didn't tell her that I hadn't seen any other women all that time except for a handful of shriveled old prostitutes, who serviced the whole camp with more good will than ability.

He was the closest thing to a friend that Trueba had within a radius of fifty miles, but his monumental pride prevented him from recognizing in the man any virtues beyond those that marked him as a good peon. Trueba was not one to encourage intimacy with his subordinates. Pedro Segundo hated him, even though he had never given a name to the tortured feeling that gripped his soul and filled him with confusion. It was a mixture of fear and resentful admiration.

9/10

S: 5/8/19 - 6/3/19 (27 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Jul 5, 2019 |
Made into a good movie, novel focuses upon the divergent lives of women living together in a home. Isabelle Allende is a great Hispanic-American woman author. ( )
  atufft | Jul 4, 2019 |
A family saga with a little magic realism. Following the life of Esteban Trueba and the lives of three woman in his life, his wife Clara, his daughter Blanca, and granddaughter Alba. Each character is woven with their own little eccentricities. Over three generations we see Esteban grow older and meaner while the women become strong and more compassionate. Esteban rises in political status and believes it is better to be feared than loved. Esteban’s family do not always share in his politics or with how he treats people in general.

I truly loved this book. I loved the characters, well except the Esteban and his grandson. There is a sort of melancholy throughout the book. This haunting sadness is part of what makes The House Of The Spirits a captivating read. That and the different character quirks and how they evolved over time.

I only wish there was more magical realism with some answers as to why the women in Clara’s family had the special powers they did. I especially wonder about Rosa and Alba with the mermaid's hair.

Even though I have finished reading I can tell this a book that will stick in my memory as long as possible. I feel I am still absorbing some of it. I am curious to read more of Isabel Allende books. I have always loved family sagas and fantasy/ magical realism. So to put them together it like a pb&j sandwich. Yum! ( )
  lavenderagate | Jun 25, 2019 |
La historia de una poderosa familia de terratenientes en algún lugar de América Latina. La casa de los espíritus es una de las obras más importantes de la literatura hispanoamericana, seguidora de la corriente denominada realismo mágico. Narra la historia de la saga de los Trueba y sigue paso a paso el dramático y extravagante destino de unos personajes atrapados en un entorno sorprendente y exótico, que encarnan las tensiones sociales y espirituales y abarca prácticamente todo el siglo XX. Es una novela de impecable pulso estilístico y aguda lucidez histórica y social
  Haijavivi | Jun 3, 2019 |
Primera novela de Isabel Allende, La casa de los espíritus narra la saga de una poderosa familia de terratenientes latinoamericanos. El despótico patriarca Esteban Trueba ha construido, con mano de hierro, un imperio privado que empieza a tambalearse a raíz del paso del tiempo y de un entorno social explosivo. Finalmente, la decadencia personal del patriarca arrastrará a los Trueba a una dolorosa desintegración. Atrapados en unas dramáticas relaciones familiares, los personajes de esta portentosa novela encarnan las tensiones sociales y espirituales de una época que abarca gran parte de este siglo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Otter, SaskiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MichelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Николаева, СусаннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How much does a man live, after all?
Does he live a thousand days, or one only?
For a week, or for several centuries?
How long does a man spend dying?
What does it mean to say "for ever"?

Pablo Neruda
To my mother, my grandmother,
and all the other extraordinary women
of this story.
Barrabás came to us by sea, the child Clara wrote in her delicate calligraphy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,979,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible