Het huis met de geesten by Isabel Allende

Het huis met de geesten (original 1982; edition 2012)

by Isabel Allende, Saskia Otter

Member:L.Pyncket
Title:Het huis met de geesten
Authors:Isabel Allende
Other authors:Saskia Otter
Info:Amsterdam Wereldbibliotheek 2012
Rating:***

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (1982)

Recently added bymsjudy, LTFL_UWCSEA, kh2907, ingegerlo, electrice, SharonEwers, private library
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch

English (123)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (6)  French (2)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (152)

House of the Spirits - Allende
4 stars

As a debut novel this is an incredibly impressive book. Shelfari lists 56 characters, and the time frame of this family saga is nearly a century. The characters were very colorful and the historic setting was richly described and interesting. Allende never calls the country Chile, nor does she identify any historical character by their real name. But we all know where and when this story took place.

The magical components of the book are mostly in the hands of the women, especially Clara the Clairvoyant. I liked the way La Casa de Los Espiritus always connected the surviving family members to the past. But I was annoyed that Clara’s ability to predict the future made her seem passive in the face of brutality. There were so many vivid, unique characters in this family. Their individual stories are fascinating, but in some way they seemed disconnected to each other. It was only at the end, when Alma identifies herself as the second narrator, that I could see how she was “assembling a jigsaw puzzle in which each piece had a specific place.” As I was reading the book with its 30 to 40 page long chapters, I was interested in the events and characters of each chapter, but I never felt terribly compelled to start the next chapter. It took a long time to finish the book. And, I will probably be thinking about it for a long time.

I’ve had this book on my list for a very long time. I was living in Caracas in 1980 when, apparently, Allende was living there, writing this book. Twentieth century Chilean history is very painful. Twenty first century Venezuelan history is looking to be same story, different location. Minor variations on a theme, but as Alma says at the end of this book, the pattern seems to repeat itself. I truly wish I’d been able to read this book in Spanish. I tried, but although I can read Jorge Curioso to a group of young children, this book was beyond me.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Crazy family, even a ghost. I just loved it. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
It's a hauntingly epic tale spanning three generations of the Trueba family. As its core is the stormy, yet passionate relationship between the supernatural gifted Clara my favorite character and her controlling husband Esteban, who resists change both politically and personally. It is a timeless story about secrets and seduction, revenge and forgiveness, and the ultimate power of love to conquer any obstacle even death. Yet such a depressing story filled with rape, rage, madness and anger. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
good growing up in Chile — many generations — wealthy + poor — excellent

Here is patriarch Esteban, whose wild desires and political machinations are tempered only by his love for his ethereal wife, Clara, a woman touched by an otherworldly hand. Their daughter, Blanca, whose forbidden love for a man Esteban has deemed unworthy infuriates her father, yet will produce his greatest joy: his granddaughter Alba, a beautiful, ambitious girl who will lead the family and their country into a revolutionary future.
  christinejoseph | Feb 27, 2016 |
Primera novela de Isabel Allende, La casa de los espíritus narra la saga de una poderosa familia de terratenientes latinoamericanos. El despótico patriarca Esteban Trueba ha construido, con mano de hierro, un imperio privado que empieza a tambalearse a raíz del paso del tiempo y de un entorno social explosivo. Finalmente, la decadencia personal del patriarca arrastrará a los Trueba a una dolorosa desintegración. Atrapados en unas dramáticas relaciones familiares, los personajes de esta portentosa novela encarnan las tensiones sociales y espirituales de una época que abarca gran parte de este siglo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Lappi-Seppälä, JyrkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MichelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Николаева, СусаннаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How much does a man live, after all?
Does he live a thousand days, or one only?
For a week, or for several centuries?
How long does a man spend dying?
What does it mean to say "for ever"?

Pablo Neruda
To my mother, my grandmother,
and all the other extraordinary women
of this story.
Barrabás came to us by sea, the child Clara wrote in her delicate calligraphy.
Esteban hatte Chinchillas auf seinem Gut herumhuschen sehen. Gelegentlich schoß er sie ab, weil sie die junge Saat fraßen, war aber nie auf den Gedanken gekommen, daß sich diese unscheinbaren Nagetiere in Damenpelzmäntel umwandeln ließen. Jean de Satigny suchte einen Kompagnon, der das Kapital, die Arbeit und die Gehege stellte, alle Risiken übernahm und den Gewinn fünfzig zu fünfzig mit ihm teilte.
(Kapitel 6, Hardcover Seite 187)
"Fast in allen Familien ist irgendein Blöder oder Verrückter, Alba", versicherte Clara, die Augen starr auf ihr Strickzeug geheftet, weil sie in all den Jahren nicht gelernt hatte, zu stricken, ohne hinzuschauen. "Manchmal bekommt man sie nicht zu sehen, weil die Angehörigen sie verstecken, als ob es eine Schande wäre. Sie sperren sie in die hintersten Zimmer, damit Besucher sie nicht zu Gesicht bekommen. Aber in Wirklichkeit braucht man sich ihrer nicht zu schämen, auch sie sind Werke Gottes."
"Aber wir haben keinen in unserer Familie", gab Alba zu bedenken.
"Nein, bei uns ist die Verrücktheit auf alle verteilt, und es ist nicht genug übriggeblieben, daß auch wir unseren Verrückten haben."
(Kapitel 9, Hardcover S. 288 f.)
Das Land füllte sich mit Uniformen, Kriegsmaschinen, Fahnen, Hymnen und Paraden, denn die Militärs kannten das Bedürfnis des Volkes nach eigenen Symbolen und Rhythmen. Senator Trueba, der diese Dinge grundsätzlich haßte, begriff, was seine Freunde im Club meinten, wenn sie sagten, der Marxismus habe in Lateinamerika nicht die geringste Chance, weil er die magische Seite der Dinge außer acht ließe. "Brot, Zirkus und irgendwas zum Verehren, das ist alles, was sie brauchen", schloß der Senator und bedauerte im stillen, daß das Brot fehlte.
Kapitel 13, Hardcover S. 392)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553273914, Mass Market Paperback)

Here, in an astonishing debut by a gifted storyteller, is the magnificent saga of proud and passionate men and women and the turbulent times through which they suffer and triumph. They are the Truebas. And theirs is a world you will not want to leave, and one you will not forget.

Esteban -- The patriarch, a volatile and proud man whose lust for land is legendary and who is haunted by his tyrannical passion for the wife he can never completely possess.

Clara -- The matriarch, elusive and mysterious, who foretells family tragedy and shapes the fortunes of the house of the Truebas.

Blanca -- Their daughter, soft-spoken yet rebellious, whose shocking love for the son of her father's foreman fuels Esteban's everlasting contempt... even as it produces the grandchild he adores.

Alba -- The fruit of Blanca's forbidden love, a luminous bearty, a fiery and willful woman... the family's break with the past and link to the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:53 -0400)

The Trueba family embodies strong feelings from the beginning of the 2 through the assassination of Allende in 1973.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,931,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible