Fire and Sword by Simon Scarrow

Fire and Sword

by Simon Scarrow

I must admit to being horrified when this was chosen as my book club book but not one to be deterred I ploughed on. I do love history but have never really been interested in battles. Although I did find some of the battle scenes a bit too lengthy in the descriptions I found myself becoming more and more interested and feeling quite tense as the book came to an end. I was disappointed that there was no real ending to the story, I know that there are sequels and that in history there is no real ending but although it surpassed my expectations I can't see myself being interested enough to carry on reading more. I found the descriptions of Napolean's character really interesting and now have a true sense of him as a man and not just a name in history. I'm sure that Mr Scarrow has done an enormous amount of research but I wonder how much of his personality is written about or is it just imagined? ( )
  karensaville | Jun 22, 2010 |
Very good book but quite long and it comes across as a bit of a history lesson. Fascinating period of history and very interesting seeing it from the viewpoints of Napoleon and Wellington. It is not like Sharp novels but it certainly fills some of the gaps. ( )
1 vote DavidBurrows | Dec 13, 2009 |

The third in this epic quartet of novels focusing on two giants of European history, Wellington and Napoleon. In the early years of the nineteenth century, Arthur Wellesley (elevated to Viscount Wellington in the course of the novel) and Napoleon Bonaparte are well established as men of military genius. Wellesley has returned from India, where his skill and bravery made a remarkable impression on his superiors. He faces trials and tribulations on the political scene before becoming embroiled militarily in Copenhagen, then Portugal and finally Spain. Napoleon, established as Emperor, is cementing his control on Europe, intending finally to crush his hated foe across the Channel: Great Britain. The time is fast approaching when Wellington and Napoleon will come face to face in confrontation - and only one man can emerge victorious...  [Amazon product review 10/12/2010]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible