A Kitten Tale by Eric Rohmann

A Kitten Tale

by Eric Rohmann

While the other three kittens are scared for winter, the fourth kitten can't wait. As the seasons go on and the possibility of snow gets closer the three kittens complain about being cold and wet, but the fourth kitten can't wait. When winter and snow finally appear the fourth kitten cannot wait. He runs outside to jump, roll, and play in the cold wet snow. After seeing how much fun the fourth kitten is having the three other kitten decide to join him. AS they yell to the fourth kitten "We'll be right out," the fourth kitten responds "I can't wait!"
The illustrations give the story a deeper meaning. Without the illustrations a reader could not fully understand the story. Roman does not write that the kittens are hiding or that their faces light up when they see how much the fourth kitten is having in the snow, he illustrates it. This book shows the importance of illustration in a children's book.
The book also teaches the lesson of judging a book by its cover in a sense. Also the kittens are not judging winter and snow, they are making assumptions about something they have yet to experience. The kittens assumed they would hate the snow because it is cold and wet, but in the end they all love it. ( )
  sschilling | Sep 26, 2017 |
REVIEW:
Four kittens play around outside during springtime, realizing that they have never seen snow. The first three kittens comment on how scared they are of the snow, and how cold they think it would be, but the fourth kitten exclaims that he can't wait! When summer and fall arrive, the kittens continue commenting on when snow will arrive, and yet again, the fourth kitten exclaims how he can't wait for the snow. Finally, one winter morning, the kittens wake up to snow! The three kittens hide from the snow, but as predicted, the fourth kitten runs outside and jumps into the snow. The three kittens watch from inside, realizing how fun the snow is, and decide to join their friend out in the snow.

I like how the illustrations in this book add meaning to the story, conveying details that the text doesn't necessarily say, teaching children to look at both the pictures and the text to create meaning. There are various repetitive sentence structures/phrases throughout this book, which help early readers predict what they are reading, as well as read familiar words before moving onto unfamiliar words. For example, the fourth kitten always says, "I can't wait", and readers will be able to predict that, as well as become comfortable with reading that phrase. In addition, certain words are repeated, such as snow and kitten, which will transition into familiar words, both orally, and in a written context, for early readers.

GENRE: Fantasy Children's Picture Book

MEDIA: relief and monotype prints (multiple layers)

USES:
(1) This book could be paired with an informational book on seasons to introduce the topic.
(2) Students could write about their favorite season, giving key details about that season looks like and why that is there favorite season.
(3) A theme in this book is fear; the three kittens are afraid of the snow, but they overcome that fear and realize that they actually like the snow! The class could discuss fears and how they can overcome them. ( )
  akgingerich | Oct 18, 2016 |
An easy read for a beginner, has repetition
  charity_thurman | Feb 11, 2016 |
48 months - Geared for a younger audience with short simple text BUT fabulous illustrations. Love this style of printmaking!!! O loved this book because it's about kittens and their personalities. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A Kitten Tale, by Eric Rohmann, was a short story about three cats, and they all are playing around the house, but one wants to play in the snow. I was not fond of this story, because I didn't really understand the purpose of the story. The big picture I could see was to have fun and don't let others tell you what you can or can't do. One thing I did like was the writing, because much of the writing rhymed, which gave the book smooth, flowing sentences. One part of the story I didn't like was the plot, because I felt it had no plot. The story was very random, very silly, and ended when all the kittens were in the snow having fun. This could have been a good story on being yourself, but they did not include anything to follow through with the set up. I had and still have mixed feelings about this story and cannot decide if its a story I'll put in my classroom.
  babshe1 | Nov 25, 2013 |

Once there were four kittens who had never seen snow. The first three kittens are wary—snow is cold, it’s wet, it covers everything. As the seasons pass and winter begins to loom, the three skittish kittens worry. But the fourth kitten is getting excited. Snow will cover everything! “I can’t wait!”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

As four kittens who have never seen winter watch the seasons pass, three of them declare the reasons they will dislike snow when it arrives, while the fourth cannot wait to experience it for himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible