Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not…

Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting

by Terrie Williams

58None204,058 (3.5)None

No reviews

Terrie Williams knows that Black people are hurting. She knows because she's one of them.

Terrie had made it: she had launched her own public relations company with such clients as Eddie Murphy and Johnnie Cochran. Yet she was in constant pain, waking up in terror, overeating in search of relief. For thirty years she kept on her game face of success, exhausting herself daily to satisfy her clients' needs while neglecting her own.

Terrie finally collapsed, staying in bed for days. She had no clue what was wrong or if there was a way out. She had hit rock bottom and she needed and got help.

She learned her problem had a name -- depression -- and that many suffered from it, limping through their days, hiding their hurt. As she healed, her mission became clear: break the silence of this crippling taboo and help those who suffer.

Black Pain identifies emotional pain -- which uniquely and profoundly affects the Black experience -- as the root of lashing out through desperate acts of crime, violence, drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, workaholism, and addiction to shopping, gambling, and sex. Few realize these destructive acts are symptoms of our inner sorrow.

Black people are dying. Everywhere we turn, in the faces we see and the headlines we read, we feel in our gut that something is wrong, but we don't know what it is. It's time to recognize it and work through our trauma.

In Black Pain, Terrie has inspired the famous and the ordinary to speak out and mental health professionals to offer solutions. The book is a mirror turned on you. Do you see yourself and your loved ones here? Do the descriptions of how the pain looks, feels, and sounds seem far too familiar? Now you can do something about it.

Stop suffering. The help the community needs is here: a clear explanation of our troubles and a guide to finding relief through faith, therapy, diet, and exercise, as well as through building a supportive network (and eliminating toxic people).

Black Pain encourages us to face the truth about the issue that plunges our spirits into darkness, so that we can step into the healing light.

You are not on the ledge alone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

Terrie had made it: she had her own company with high-profile clients--yet she was in constant pain, waking up in terror, overeating in search of relief. She finally collapsed, with no clue what was wrong or if there was a way out. She had hit rock bottom and got help. She learned her problem had a name--depression--and that many suffered from it, limping through their days, hiding their hurt. As she healed, her mission became clear: break the silence and help those who suffer. This book identifies emotional pain--uniquely and profoundly affecting the Black experience--as the root of lashing out through desperate acts. Terrie encourages us to face the truth about the issue that plunges our spirits into darkness, so that we can step into the healing light. The help the community needs is here: a clear explanation and a guide to finding relief.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,084,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible