Venn Diagrams (Young Math Ser.) by Robert…

Venn Diagrams (Young Math Ser.)

by Robert Froman

This book is filled with information about Venn Diagrams. The two main characters of the story are doing many daily activities, and they figure out many things and count objects by making a Venn diagram. Although this story has many great examples of how a Venn diagram works, it was my least favorite math book I had picked out this week. Each page was filled with a bunch of different things to put into the Venn diagram, and I felt as if it may be too overwhelming for a young reader. Also, in one part of the book, one of the characters says- “But what if you smell something? You might smell your mother’s perfume. Or some cigarette smoke”. I feel as if this part of the book may be a little inappropriate for young readers, and the author should have replaced this with normal smoke instead of cigarette smoke. ( )
  asialandry | Nov 21, 2016 |
"Venn Diagrams" goes very in depth on Venn Diagrams and ways to use them. The book is simple and explains Venn Diagrams well. I didn't like how the illustrations went from black and white to color. Not an easy book for kids to read but it does give a lot of info on Venn Diagrams. ( )
  Paigealyssa | Apr 17, 2016 |
Venn Diagrams (A Young Math Book)is a children's book explaining a Venn Diagram and how you can use them. I am on the fence with this book. I like how simplistically the book explains Venn Diagrams, however the examples go on and on. It really drags the book out. Also, I loved the illustrations in the book, but one page would be in color and the next would be in black and white. I don't know if this was intentional or not? But, it definitely distracted me from reading the text. I would not read this aloud to a class. I might use a part of the text to use as an example in a math class. I could also give this to a student who may have a hard time grasping the concept of a Venn Diagram. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 24, 2015 |
This is not a book I would recommend for teaching, or for reading for fun. It is boring, and drags on. It references cigarette smoke as a smell for children to think about putting into their diagram of what they see and smell. I just do not think that at this point in time we should have books out there referencing cigarettes in any way. The pictures were cute, but that was about it. ( )
  Trock33 | Nov 25, 2014 |
This is a good little book to introduce young learners to Venn diagrams. The illustrations give it a dated feel, but the information inside has not changed.

A great use of this book would be for children to read the examples and create Venn diagrams from their own life. Teachers could ask their students to create circles based on clothing. I can see students drawing and labeling circles with sidewalk chalk. They could label the circles blue jeans, tennis shoes, white shirts, or whatever characteristics they see. Then students can scramble to find their place in the circles. As a project, they could create a Venn diagram based on things they see at home. Venn diagrams can be fun and informative and this book would be a great introduction. ( )
  mapalumbo | Apr 7, 2014 |

An introduction to Venn diagrams in their simplest form--circles which sort things into categories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible