Greyhaven by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Greyhaven

by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Editor)

Other authors: Caradoc A. Cador (Contributor), Robert Cook (Contributor), Jon de Cles (Contributor), James Ian Elliot (Contributor), Randall Garrett (Contributor)9 more, Joel Hagen (Contributor), Vicki Ann Heydron (Contributor), Anodea Judith (Contributor), Patricia Shaw Mathews (Contributor), Diana L. Paxson (Contributor), Susan Shwartz (Contributor), Elisabeth Waters (Contributor), Phillip Wayne (Contributor), Paul Edwin Zimmer (Contributor)

Series: Heirs to Byzantium (short story, "Dagger Spring"), Lythande (short story, "The Incompetent Magician")

Lythande by Marion Zimmer Bradley (DisassemblyOfReason)
    DisassemblyOfReason: If you enjoyed MZB's "The Incompetent Magician", the short story collection Lythande contains more of the adventures of the mercenary magician's long wanderings through the world.

I got this book ages ago on the strength of it being edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of my favorite authors back when this book was published in 1983. "Greyhaven" is one of the homes that MZB lived in, and "the spiritual home" to a community of writers, friends and family of the author who write speculative fiction. The publisher even grandiosely compared them to the Bloomsbury group of Virginia Woolf. No, just no. A really fine short story is as memorable or more than any novel. I recently reread an anthology of shorts by Isaac Asimov which I hadn't read in decades. I remembered most stories just from their titles, and the rest within paragraphs. These weren't memorable at all, and on reacquaintance a large number struck me as amateurish to undistinguished--the kind of stories I can't see as published professionally had the writers not been connected to a bestselling writer.

"They Come and Go" and "Wrong Number" inspired only a huh??? and many of the stories struck me as weak. In particular Anodea Judith's "Bedtime Story" She also provided the weakest story in the first Sword and Sorceress anthology, otherwise a collection much, much stronger than this anthology. There was only one story I can say I truly enjoyed, Vicki Ann Heydron's "Cat Tale" about a woman transformed into a puma. That was light-hearted and fun with enough vivid details and strong storytelling to really put me into the story. Too many of the other stories struck me as, oh RenFaire, Pagan clap trap, including one that took seriously the efficacy of human sacrifice. Even Marion Zimmer Bradley's own contribution wasn't one I cared much for--her Lythande story titled "The Incompetent Magician" which can also be found in the anthology Lythande collecting stories with that character. Besides MZB, the only names here I think fantasy readers will likely recognize are Randall Garrett (Heydron's husband) and Diana L. Paxson--I admit not a favorite author of mine and I didn't find her contribution, "Kindred of the Wind" very striking. I (mildly) liked Garrett's contribution, "Just Another Vampire Story" which I found aptly named. Just don't see this collection as a keeper. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Nov 5, 2012 |

Wayne, PhillipContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Paul EdwinContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Poyser, VictoriaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Robyn Elisabeth Cook

In loving memory of our dear and cherished Robert Cook, "our humble obedient Serpent" who did not live to see this anthology in print; as part of the legacy he left.

Et lux eterna luceat eis.
What is Greyhaven, and why is it the title of a fantasy anthology? ("Greyhaven: writers at work")
Anakor paused, almost motionless in the eye of the wind. ("Kindred of the Wind" by Diana L. Paxson)
Here comes that bug out of the kitchen. ("They Come and Go" by Joel Hagen)
Katherine Christopher was wakened from a sound sleep by the deep-throated hunting growl of her Siamese cat, Martinique. ("Cat Tale" by Vicki Ann Heydron)
"No!" ("Bedtime Story" by Anodea Judith)

This anthology contains "Wildwood" by Adrienne Martine Barnes; "The Bardic Revel", "Greyhaven: Writers at Work (An introduction)", and "The Incompetent Magician" by Marion Zimmer Bradley; "The Ring" by Caradoc A. Cador; "The Woodcarver's Son" by Robert Cook; "Cantabile" by Jon de Cles; "Wrong Number" by James Ian Elliot; "Just Another Vampire Story" by Randall Garrett; "They Come and Go" by Joel Hagen; "Cat Tale" by Vicki Ann Heydron; "Bedtime Story" by Anodea Judith; "Impressions of House Greyhaven" and "The Kindred of the Wind" by Diana L. Paxson; "Dagger Spring" by Susan Shwartz; "Tell Me a Story" by Elisabeth Waters; "The Tax Collector" by Phillip Wayne; "The Hand of Tyr" by Paul Edwin Zimmer. There are also a few very short works lumped together as "From Various Bardic Revels".

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,377,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible