The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Joy Luck Club (1989)

by Amy Tan (Author)

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (Jennie_103)
    Jennie_103: Another story of generations of chinese women.
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    Sweet Mandarin: The Courageous True Story of Three Generations of Chinese Women and Their Journey from East to West by Helen Tse (elbakerone)
    Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat (Othemts)
    Othemts: In a superficial way this book reminds me of the stories of Amy Tan in that they show the strains of relationships between mothers and daughters, immigrants and American-born.

English (116)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (124)
Somehow, I've gone all my life without dipping into Amy Tan's novels. Now I've got another author to explore.
JOY LUCK CLUB is a jewel of a book. I guess it's a novel, but it feels more like a series of interconnected short stories involving subsets of the same cast of characters. The Club itself consists of four women who were all born in China but have long lived in the US. They gather monthly for rotating dinners, bringing their husbands and children.
The stories focus on not just the mothers but their American born daughters. The daughters feel torn between two cultures, frustrated with their mothers' refusal to adapt to American culture. Little by little, we get to know the mothers and the daughters.
Very good read. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jul 11, 2014 |
Tan does a good job in portraying the differences keenly felt by Asian-Americans and their families living in America. The characters and their relationships with each other are well-developed. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
Made me laugh, made me cry, made me appreciate my Mother. An easy get-away to another world unfolds in the stories of four mothers and their daughters. ( )
  Juleswf | May 28, 2014 |
It was an okay book. It was basically has the same theme and plot as other Chinese themed novels I've read. "Bonesetter's Daughter" was definitely better and even Lisa See's "Secret Fan..." was better than this one. The multitude of characters did not connect with me. They seemed so far away. I got confused whose daughter is who, whose mother is who, whose husband is who. I even got confused whose story I'm reading, I kept on going back to the beginning to check. One story even reminded me of "Memoirs of a Geisha". It has a good story behind it but it fell rushed thus the confusion and then coldness of the characters. I prefer the movie than the book. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 10, 2014 |
Not a bad book, but this suffers in comparison with [b:The Woman Warrior|30852|The Woman Warrior|Maxine Hong Kingston|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1268026153s/30852.jpg|1759]. Same plot, but Maxine Hong Kingston makes Amy Tan's prose seem plodding and obvious. ( )
  gaeta1 | Nov 9, 2013 |
In Tan's hands, these linked stories - diverse as they are - fit almost magically into a powerfully coherent novel, whose winning combination of ingredients - immigrant experience, mother-daughter ties, Pacific Rim culture - make it a book with the ``good luck'' to be in the right place at the right time.

In the hands of a less talented writer such thematic material might easily have become overly didactic, and the characters might have seemed like cutouts from a Chinese-American knockoff of ''Roots.'' But in the hands of Amy Tan, who has a wonderful eye for what is telling, a fine ear for dialogue, a deep empathy for her subject matter and a guilelessly straightforward way of writing, they sing with a rare fidelity and beauty. She has written a jewel of a book.

Tan, AmyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holt, Heleen tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and the memory of her mother. You asked me once what I would remember. This, and much more.
The old woman remembered a swan she had bought many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum.
Please don't combine with commentaries or educational adaptations

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143038095, Paperback)

Four mothers, four daughters, four families whose histories shift with the four winds depending on who's "saying" the stories. In 1949 four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared unspeakable loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. Rather than sink into tragedy, they choose to gather to raise their spirits and money. "To despair was to wish back for something already lost. Or to prolong what was already unbearable." Forty years later the stories and history continue.

With wit and sensitivity, Amy Tan examines the sometimes painful, often tender, and always deep connection between mothers and daughters. As each woman reveals her secrets, trying to unravel the truth about her life, the strings become more tangled, more entwined. Mothers boast or despair over daughters, and daughters roll their eyes even as they feel the inextricable tightening of their matriarchal ties. Tan is an astute storyteller, enticing readers to immerse themselves into these lives of complexity and mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:14 -0400)

In 1949, four Chinese women--drawn together by the shadow of their past--begin meeting in San Francisco to play mah jong, invest in stocks and "say" stories. They call their gathering the Joy Luck Club--and forge a relationship that binds them for more than three decades.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible