The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett

The Man from St. Petersburg (1982)

by Ken Follett

English (14)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (16)
This was my first Follett and I was certainly impressed. He weaves an interesting story related to events taking place in England, France, Germany and Russia in 1914 and interjects another story line concerning a respected, aristocratic family who has based their life together on lies, secrets and deception. The truth comes out in a fiery conclusion which will keep readers on the edge of their seats. ( )
  Carmenere | Feb 18, 2019 |
Loved this book. Started & finished it in about a day.
The whole puzzle was compkete: the description of the relations, the historical context, the race against the clock to prevent a murder. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Aug 18, 2018 |
1914 russian anarchist plot ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
(7/10) I enjoyed this, it was well written and had very well developed characters. The story was good and well paced and I enjoyed the history. My only complaint was the ending, it felt really rushed and had the strangest epilogue I have ever read. I know Follett's later books are a lot better, some of my favourites in fact, but it's always nice to see where and how an author started. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
So, my busy life seems to have kept me from reviewing books as soon as i have finished them, but i am still going to go back a few months and share whatever thoughts i have still retained since completing 10 different books. I begin with this Follett piece. I was convinced i had read this in the 80s while on a European excursion, but now i doubt it. This was completely different than what i expected it to be, and it was a little odd in the way it was put together. I sort of enjoyed it, but not like some of his other gripping thrillers. It always felt like i was never going to get through it. An OK effort, and certainly a startling unexpected end which was somewhat redeeming. Certainly not his best. ( )
1 vote jeffome | Dec 29, 2016 |

Ken Follettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bonomi, PatriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One can't love humanity. One can only love people.
- Graham Greene
It was a slow Sunday afternoon, the kind Walden loved.

German
-----------------------------------
From the back:

His name was Feliks. He came to London to commit a murder that would change history. He had many weapons at his command, but the most dangerous were the love of a beautiful young woman longing for the end of innocence, and the passion of a high-born lady demanding satisfaction at any price.
Against him were ranged the whole of the English police, a brilliant and powerful lord, and the young Winston Churchill himself. These odds would have stopped any man in the world except The Man From St Petersburg

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451208706, Paperback)

His name was Feliks.  He came to London to commit a murder that would change history.  A master manipulator, ha had many weapons at his command, but against him were ranged the whole of the English police, a brilliant and powerful lord, and the young Winston Churchill himself.  These odds would have stopped any man in the world-except the man from St. Petersburg...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:04 -0400)

Just before World War I, two men--one a noble Russian emissary, the other a denizen of Europe's underground--set in motion a concatenation of world-shaking, ultimately fatal events.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible