The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

The Polar Express (original 1985; edition 2009)

by Chris Van Allsburg

Member:ashbrau
Title:The Polar Express
Authors:Chris Van Allsburg
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture Books
Rating:*****
Tags:picture-books

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg (1985)

English (299)  Japanese (1)  All languages (300)
The polar express is a classic. It has great mental message that kids can relate too. Its a nice holiday story. I really like the illustrations. they look so real. Van Allsburg takes the reader on a journey. The boy loses all hope and finally he regains this. I would love to teach a lesson comparing the movie to the book after reading this to my students one day. The adventure that Van Allsburg takes the reader on is one that you will never forget. there is just enough magic in this book to make it fun. I would recommend this book to any one. ( )
  lsavar3 | Apr 21, 2016 |
The Polar Express teaches that there is still magic in Christmas for those who believe. This book won the Caldecott award for its amazing illustrations that go along so well with the story. I would recommend this book to any family around Christmas time, especially for children who are starting to think Santa isn't real. ( )
  mckenziechaney | Apr 12, 2016 |
The Polar Express was awarded the Caldecott Medal in 1986. It is a Christmas tradition. The book tells a story of a young boy who finds himself on the Polar Express on his way to meet Santa at the North Pole. It a fun and adventurous story for everyone. ( )
  Shelbymdavis | Apr 11, 2016 |
This classic christmas story is about a train who takes kids to the North pole to meet santa on christmas eve. The story is mainly about one boy who remains nameless who really doesn't believe in santa until he receives the first gift of christmas. He chooses a bell from santa's slay because he can finally hear it as he chants "I believe," repeatedly. He continues to hear the bell, even though eventually his friends can't hear it anymore. As quoted in the book, At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell. But as years passed, it fell silent to all of them. Even Sarah found, one christmas, she could no longer hear it's sweet sound. Though I have grown old, it stil rings for me.As it does for all who truly believe. The author Chris Van Allsburg was born June 18, 1949 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has won two Caldecott medal awards, one for this book and one for jumanji. I would recommend this book to any and everyone. ( )
  Tydrianna | Apr 10, 2016 |
The Polar Express is a classic children's book that's loved by many. It is a caldecott winner for it's amazing illustrations. The illustrations are very detailed that draw the reader in. The book teaches kids about friendship and believing. You can never go wrong with reading this to a child. ( )
  Blair_McDaniel | Apr 9, 2016 |
Mr. Van Allsburg works effectively combining the sinister and the sentimental, but it would take a poet-sociologist to explain precisely why these dark, moody sculptural pastels somehow evoke feelings of glad tidings and joy.

To Karen
On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed.
"Soon there were no more lights to be seen. We traveled through cold, dark forests, where lean wolves roamed and white-tailed rabbits hid from our train as it thundered through the quiet wilderness."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395389496, Hardcover)

One couldn't select a more delightful and exciting premise for a children's book than the tale of a young boy lying awake on Christmas Eve only to have Santa Claus sweep by and take him on a trip with other children to the North Pole. And one couldn't ask for a more talented artist and writer to tell the story than Chris Van Allsburg. Allsburg, a sculptor who entered the genre nonchalantly when he created a children's book as a diversion from his sculpting, won the 1986 Caldecott Medal for this book, one of several award winners he's produced. The Polar Express rings with vitality and wonder.

25th Anniversary Edition Includes
To commemorate this special anniversary, a lavish gift edition has been created. The set includes a silver foil border, a CD audio recording read by Liam Neeson, a note from Chris Van Allsburg, and a silvery keepsake "All Aboard" ornament.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Chris Van Allsburg

Dear Amazon Readers,

Over the past twenty-five years, many people have shared stories with me about the effect that reading The Polar Express has had on their families and on their celebration of Christmas.

One of the most poignant was told to me five or six years ago at a book signing in the Midwest, on a snowy December evening. As I inscribed a book to a woman in her sixties, she told me that it was the second copy she had owned, and wanted to know if she could she tell me what had happened to the first. "Of course," I answered.

A dozen years earlier the woman, who had no children of her own, befriended a neighbor, a boy of about seven, named Eddie. He would often cross his driveway to visit her.

She had a collection of picture books, which she read to him, but around the holidays, the only story he ever wanted to hear, over and over, was The Polar Express. One year she offered to give him the book, but Eddie declined because he wanted to hear her read it aloud to him, which she continued to do every year until the boy and his family moved away.

Years later the woman learned from a mutual acquaintance that Eddie had grown up and become a soldier. He was stationed in Iraq. Since Christmas was approaching, the woman decided to send him a gift box. She included candy, cookies, socks, and her old copy of The Polar Express. She wasn't sure what a nineteen-year-old battle-weary soldier would do with the book in an army barracks in the Middle East, but she wanted him to have it. A month later, after the holidays had passed, she received a letter from Eddie.

He told her he was very happy to have heard from her and to get the box of gifts. He had opened it in his barracks, just before curfew, with some of his fellow GIs already in their bunks. A soldier in the next bunk spotted the book. He knew it well from his own childhood and asked Eddie to read it. "Out loud?" he asked. "Yeah," his buddy told him.

Eddie, quietly and a little self-consciously, read The Polar Express. When he'd finished and closed the book, a moment of silence passed. Then from behind him a voice called out, "Read it again," and another joined in, "Yeah, read it again," and a third added, "This time, louder." So Eddie did.

He wrote to the woman that he'd stood up and read it to his comrades just the way he remembered she had read it to him.

All aboard,

Chris Van Allsburg

Recipes and Activities to Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of The Polar Express
(Click on Images for the Recipe or Activity [PDF])

Snacks for Santa

A Polar Express Word Search
A Polar Express Crossword
A Polar Express Maze
A Polar Express Drawing Sheet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

A magical train ride on Christmas Eve takes a boy to the North Pole to receive a special gift from Santa Claus.

76 wanted4 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 422 books! | Top bar: Always visible