The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

The Polar Express (original 1985; edition 2009)

by Chris Van Allsburg

Member:msc16
Title:The Polar Express
Authors:Chris Van Allsburg
Info:Houghton Mifflin (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg (1985)

English (402)  Japanese (1)  All languages (403)
Somehow I never really came across this as a kid (it came out when I was five, so I don't know why). After reading it now, I think maybe I *have* read it before, almost certainly as an adult. This book is one of those that I always think of as a touchstone of kids' picture books, especially holiday ones, but I have to say that I was left with a feeling of "that's it?" at the end. Although I will say the pictures are lovely. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 6, 2018 |
The Polar Express is about a young boy who is struggling in believing in Santa Clause. On Christmas Eve night, the boy is awoken by the sound of a train engine. He looks out his bedroom window and is astounded to see a train outside his window. The conductor invites him to board the Polar Express, which is on its way to the North Pole. The train take him to the North Pool where he is chosen by Santa Clause to receive the very first gift of Christmas. The main point of this story is to have faith and believe. ( )
  Kalliwardrop | Nov 29, 2018 |
This is a wonderful story about finding friendship in the most unexpected places and believing in something, even if it seems unreal. A young boy boards a train to the North Pole on Christmas Eve, where he finds friends and answers that he was looking for, in the most unexpected ways. This book is great for all ages, especially young readers, that the teacher can read around the Christmas holiday. ( )
  brittburditt | Nov 27, 2018 |
Lastly is the Polar Express by Van Allsburg. This story tells the story of a young boy who boards a train headed to the North Pole. When he arrives Santa allows him to have any gift that he wants for Christmas. The boy chooses a bell off of one of Santa’s reindeer, but loses it along the way. He then finds it Christmas morning to discover his parent’s do not hear the sweet sound the bell produces. Come to find out only believers can hear the bell’s ring, and as he becomes older he is the only one he knows who can still hear it. Another one of Allsburgs’ Caldecott Award Winning books, the illustrations in it are remarkable. Using deeper darker colors that normally would not be involved in a Van Allsburg story, these illustrations take a hold of your eyes from the first page. Simple yet detailed, colorful but still dull, his style within this story shows how truly talented he is as an illustrator. ( )
  bhammant | Oct 31, 2018 |
A story about how a boy received a letter from Santa. Helps create holiday spirit. ( )
  samanthamoreland | Oct 25, 2018 |
Mr. Van Allsburg works effectively combining the sinister and the sentimental, but it would take a poet-sociologist to explain precisely why these dark, moody sculptural pastels somehow evoke feelings of glad tidings and joy.

To Karen
On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed.
"Soon there were no more lights to be seen. We traveled through cold, dark forests, where lean wolves roamed and white-tailed rabbits hid from our train as it thundered through the quiet wilderness."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395389496, Hardcover)

One couldn't select a more delightful and exciting premise for a children's book than the tale of a young boy lying awake on Christmas Eve only to have Santa Claus sweep by and take him on a trip with other children to the North Pole. And one couldn't ask for a more talented artist and writer to tell the story than Chris Van Allsburg. Allsburg, a sculptor who entered the genre nonchalantly when he created a children's book as a diversion from his sculpting, won the 1986 Caldecott Medal for this book, one of several award winners he's produced. The Polar Express rings with vitality and wonder.

25th Anniversary Edition Includes
To commemorate this special anniversary, a lavish gift edition has been created. The set includes a silver foil border, a CD audio recording read by Liam Neeson, a note from Chris Van Allsburg, and a silvery keepsake "All Aboard" ornament.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Chris Van Allsburg

Dear Amazon Readers,

Over the past twenty-five years, many people have shared stories with me about the effect that reading The Polar Express has had on their families and on their celebration of Christmas.

One of the most poignant was told to me five or six years ago at a book signing in the Midwest, on a snowy December evening. As I inscribed a book to a woman in her sixties, she told me that it was the second copy she had owned, and wanted to know if she could she tell me what had happened to the first. "Of course," I answered.

A dozen years earlier the woman, who had no children of her own, befriended a neighbor, a boy of about seven, named Eddie. He would often cross his driveway to visit her.

She had a collection of picture books, which she read to him, but around the holidays, the only story he ever wanted to hear, over and over, was The Polar Express. One year she offered to give him the book, but Eddie declined because he wanted to hear her read it aloud to him, which she continued to do every year until the boy and his family moved away.

Years later the woman learned from a mutual acquaintance that Eddie had grown up and become a soldier. He was stationed in Iraq. Since Christmas was approaching, the woman decided to send him a gift box. She included candy, cookies, socks, and her old copy of The Polar Express. She wasn't sure what a nineteen-year-old battle-weary soldier would do with the book in an army barracks in the Middle East, but she wanted him to have it. A month later, after the holidays had passed, she received a letter from Eddie.

He told her he was very happy to have heard from her and to get the box of gifts. He had opened it in his barracks, just before curfew, with some of his fellow GIs already in their bunks. A soldier in the next bunk spotted the book. He knew it well from his own childhood and asked Eddie to read it. "Out loud?" he asked. "Yeah," his buddy told him.

Eddie, quietly and a little self-consciously, read The Polar Express. When he'd finished and closed the book, a moment of silence passed. Then from behind him a voice called out, "Read it again," and another joined in, "Yeah, read it again," and a third added, "This time, louder." So Eddie did.

He wrote to the woman that he'd stood up and read it to his comrades just the way he remembered she had read it to him.

All aboard,

Chris Van Allsburg

Recipes and Activities to Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of The Polar Express
(Click on Images for the Recipe or Activity [PDF])

Snacks for Santa

A Polar Express Word Search
A Polar Express Crossword
A Polar Express Maze
A Polar Express Drawing Sheet

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

A magical train ride on Christmas Eve takes a boy to the North Pole to receive a special gift from Santa Claus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,828,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible