Thor, Vol. 1 by J. Michael Straczynski

Thor, Vol. 1 (2008)

by J. Michael Straczynski, Olivier Coipel (Illustrator)

Other authors: Marko Djurdjevic (Illustrator), Mark Morales (Inker)

Series: Thor, 2007 series (1-6)

I know, I know. I swore off superhero comics. But I saw this book recommended at my favorite bookstore the day I discovered Saga. And Thor was the only character I actually liked in that Avengers book I read. So I put this on my hold list.

Sigh.

It's true, the outfits are much more reasonable than most of the superhero comics I've been complaining about. Though despite the fact that this is a reboot, I felt like I was missing MILES of backstory. There were elements here that I really liked -- Thor creating Asgard in the middle of Oklahoma, then raising it to float a few feet in the air when authorities show up to tell him he can't build on land he doesn't own; the tribal leader at a refugee camp politely but firmly telling the Norse gods to take their war mongering elsewhere.

But as much as I like the idea of these entire DC and Marvel universes that you can tap into anywhere and then just keep on exploring forever, in reality I think it's the universe creation that I really love. And how often does anyone get to do that at DC or Marvel? I'll stick to my independents, thank you very much. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Well, I did miss what happened before but things would seem to have gone badly for the Norse Pantheon and now it's only Thor left. He decides to build a new Valhalla and to cause the gods to awake in the human bodies they now live in.

It's interesting, I'm not sure that it truly works without more backsstory but I liked it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 3, 2014 |

Sigh.

greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
After Ragnarok, Thor and the other gods have been consigned to the blackness, dead in essence.

Thor returns to the world of the living and meets up again with Dr Don Blake, his human "host".

Asgard is rebuilt, but it is a lonely place, and Thor decides to return the other Norse Gods to fill Asgard. The locals (rural america) are not impressed and by the end, still havent fully come around to having Gods in their back yard.

Meanwhile Thor travels the world seeking out the other Gods in their human form, hoping to bring them forward before their hosts die. Each story is the tale of one such rescue, where Thor has to overcome some foe, either human or god. The final chapter sees him trying to rescue all remaining gods, even if it means his own destruction.....
  nordie | Nov 26, 2012 |
This is the kind of book that gets a person excited about superheroes, no doubt about it. I started with Journey into Mystery V1 as a starting point for Marvel comics (after loving the film, Avengers). I was immediately hooked and wanted to see how we got to that point. I decided to skip over House of M and Civil War, as those stories seemed too dark, and I didn't want to go too far back. I had read great reviews about Straczynski’s reintroduction of Thor, which also introduced Lady Loki, and decided to jump to this point. Though the story is fairly well contained, it is helpful to know something of what happened before, especially in Civil War. So, I recommend newbie readers like me hit Wikipedia to get an overview of those prior major events.

This book opens with the human Donald Blake, who once hosted Thor’s spirit, calling the God of Thunder from the Void of nothingness. The cycle of endless Raganaroks had been broken, but humanity still needs the gods. Thor chooses to be reborn, and he uses his power to rebuild Asgard – in Oklahoma! He then begins searching the world for his people, bound within humans waiting to be awakened. He intended not to awaken certain Asgardians (Loki, Enchantress, et al), but while engaged in battle was forced to awaken everyone at once. Loki is somehow reborn as a woman, and Sif cannot be found. The stage is set. The most exciting part of this book is the clash between Thor and Iron Man, when Thor reveals just how powerful he is – that he had always held back before. He’s ticked off at Tony for using his genetic code to make a “fake” Thor and passing him off as the real deal during the Civil War.

Overall, this is a fantastic (re)introduction of Thor. The story is engrossing, and I love the artwork. Thor is totally bad a@@, and the fights scenes are expertly rendered and thrilling. Highly recommended! ( )
1 vote jshillingford | Oct 29, 2012 |

J. Michael Straczynskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coipel, OlivierIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Djurdjevic, MarkoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morales, MarkInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thor (2011IMDb)
I have dreamed such dreams.
Excuse us...but we heard...we heard there was cake, and, well--what unfortunate day's events are not made gladder by cake?

Thor is back! And in a story only J. Michael Straczynski could tell! Returned to the pantheon of great Marvel heroes, the Asgardian God of Thunder is reunited with the mortal form of Dr. Don Blake. Together, they must reckon with the legacy of the mythic Norse kingdom and the awakening of its immortal heroes - but in a world that may not want them back!

Collecting:

Thor #1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

But how does a god return from Ragnarok? And what place will he find in a world torn by Civil War?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,753,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible