Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie…

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years (2008)

by Julie Andrews

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

I Picked Up This Book Because: Saw it in the library and was curious.

The Story:

This depicts Julie’s life up until she heads to LA to film Mary Poppins. I must say I was disappointed not to get the details of her time on set of Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music as these were the two titles I was most familiar but I learned so much about her life prior that honestly there was no room for much more.

Julie was born with show business in her bones. I am not surprised at the amazing person she has become because she had an amazing, if difficult at times, start. I always enjoy listening to people tell their own story and Julie’s narration of her book was superb.

The Random Thoughts:

3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jun 29, 2017 |
Sweet but I would have liked a little more dish. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Home: A Memoir of My Early Years - Julie Andrews
4 stars

The title says it. This is Julie Andrews’ personal story from her earliest years until the early 1960’s when she leaves England to film Mary Poppins. The very beginning of the book gives her earliest memories of her family, her parent’s separation, and being a child during the Blitz. She talks about her introduction to vaudeville as part of her mother and stepfather’s musical act, and how she transitions into a solo performer whose income supported her family. She’s very matter-of-fact about hardships and heartaches, lots of British stiff upper lip. There’s plenty of humor in the stream of anecdotes and I wish I’d had the audio edition to hear her tell the stories in her own voice.

I came away with tremendous respect for her discipline as an artist. She talks about the exhaustion she felt after her back to back successes on Broadway, but it’s hard to believe that she didn’t completely crumble under the pressure. This was another book that needed a playlist; The Boyfriend, My Fair Lady, Camelot. I also looked at YouTube for the very young Julie singing God Save The King to the royals, as well as her more recent Kennedy Center awards ceremony. Amazing. ( )
  msjudy | Aug 23, 2016 |
Loved it! I hope there's a continuation. I got so happy when she said that she used to read Enid Blyton books. ( )
  AnaKurland | Jan 30, 2016 |
I highly recommend the audio CD version, as you get to hear it read by the author herself in her beautiful voice. My only complaint about the book is that it ends too soon, as she heads to California to begin filming "Mary Poppins". ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Silver tinsel on the ground. / River, streams. A round / water tower. Shining sun / flooding woods and meadows. / Spun gold and steel. Clouds punctuate / the hills and valleys and great / white cliffs of Dover. / Sea and ships. And, crossing over, / my heart soars like this aeorplane, / and I know I'm going home again. -Julie Andrews
For Emma,
with all my love
I am told that the first comprehensible word I uttered as a child was "home."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786865652, Hardcover)

Syphilis, alcoholism, infidelity, and indeterminate parentage may seem improbable touchstones in the back story of one who didn't so much portray as embody the blithe Maria in The Sound of Music. But as this memoir of her formative years makes clear, there is more gravitas to Andrews than meets the eye. From her childhood in rural England and initial forays into British theater, to her first massive successes on Broadway and in the West End--notably as Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady--Home puts her celebrated career in context. While arguably offering more detail about the Andrews family than necessary, it nevertheless dishes wonderful anecdotes about legends and Andrews contemporaries like Noël Coward, Rex Harrison, Robert Goulet, Richard Burton, and Rodgers and Hammerstein, in prose as crisp and immaculate as the author herself. It also offers a revealing look into the intricate, exhaustive craft of performing--skills often taken for granted in tabloid times. Since the book ends just as Andrews is about to launch into the celluloid stratosphere, can Volume II be far behind? After Home, it would be most welcome. --Kim Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:16 -0400)

A personal account of the iconic actress's pre-fame life traces the time between her birth in 1935 and her discovery by Walt Disney during her 1962 Broadway performance in "Camelot."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible