Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie…

Home: A Memoir of My Early Years (2008)

by Julie Andrews

A personal account of the iconic actress's pre-fame life traces the time between her birth in 1935 and her discovery by Walt Disney during her 1962 Broadway performance in Camelot, a period marked by her relationships with a vaudevillian mother and teacher father, the World War II London Blitz, and her work as a Royal Command Performance child soloist.… (more)

Lovely story by a classy woman. Julie Andrews was always a favorite of my mom's, so when this came out I wanted to read it because I was curious about that time period. I learned so much about vaudeville and theater, albeit from one person's perspective. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
It was an enjoyable read about the famous Julie Andrews. The autobiography of her early years seem to mirror Ms. Andrews from what I've seen, although I'm not a huge follower and really only know her through her most famous or recent roles, ie "Mary Poppins", her voice work in the "Shrek" and "Despicable Me" films.

It's a mostly pleasant memoir of her early years, and thankfully she doesn't fall into the trap of a lot of people: her childhood and youth are interesting to read about. She's also surprisingly funny at times, which was not something I expected, but enjoyed. There are some really creepy parts with her step-father but thankfully it doesn't seem to have gone any further than it had.

I'd recommend it for any fan or anyone who enjoys autobiographies. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This was a charming memoir of the early part of Andrew's life. I was surprised and interested to learn of her childhood, which certainly was not perfect, but had lots of interesting twists and turns. I actually found that more interesting than the later, acting related parts. This book only serves to solidify my admiration for Ms. Andrews. ( )
  glade1 | Sep 15, 2017 |
Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

I Picked Up This Book Because: Saw it in the library and was curious.

The Story:

This depicts Julie’s life up until she heads to LA to film Mary Poppins. I must say I was disappointed not to get the details of her time on set of Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music as these were the two titles I was most familiar but I learned so much about her life prior that honestly there was no room for much more.

Julie was born with show business in her bones. I am not surprised at the amazing person she has become because she had an amazing, if difficult at times, start. I always enjoy listening to people tell their own story and Julie’s narration of her book was superb.

The Random Thoughts:

3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jun 29, 2017 |
Sweet but I would have liked a little more dish. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Silver tinsel on the ground. / River, streams. A round / water tower. Shining sun / flooding woods and meadows. / Spun gold and steel. Clouds punctuate / the hills and valleys and great / white cliffs of Dover. / Sea and ships. And, crossing over, / my heart soars like this aeorplane, / and I know I'm going home again. -Julie Andrews
For Emma,
with all my love
I am told that the first comprehensible word I uttered as a child was "home."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,916,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible