The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1902)

by Beatrix Potter

Series: Peter Rabbit (1)

Recently added byjoebtsflk, mathsie, Alexandra.Schuckman, suehickman, private library, Kheppe, Oandthegang, SPHarapan
Legacy LibrariesSylvia Plath

English (80)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
I remember my parents reading this story to me as a child. It is an exciting, fun story of a rabbit that learns his lesson after not listing to his mom. I have my on copy of this story.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 21, 2014 |
bad little bunny learns his lesson. ( )
  hklibrarian | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is the classic tale of Peter Rabbit, a story I know I read as a child. And now I am reading it to my own daughter helping this age-old tale come alive through the pictures and story. Peter and his siblings are told by his mother when she goes out ,not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden because of what happened to his father. Peter's siblings obey, but Peter wanders into Mr. McGregor's garden and munching on the many vegetables available. Yet before long, Peter finds himself in danger. He attempts to escape many times from Mr. McGregor, and finally is able to but comes away without any clothes, cold, and sick. He goes to bed sick when he gets home, and his siblings get to eat the treats their mother got while she was out.
If I were using this book in a class setting, a couple teaching points I would use are…
- Why it is important to listen to directions and orders given by adults in our lives who care about us (parents, teachers, friends, etc)
- What are things children do that can get them into trouble, and how those things can be prevented.
  brianslagle | Mar 4, 2014 |
Even 112 years after it was first published this book remains a beloved children's book. I have fond memories of my mom reading this book to me and later reading this book myself. Peter Rabbit is different than his siblings Flopsy, Mopsy and Cotton-tail. They were happy to gather blueberries, but Peter’s curiosity leads him to Mr McGregor’s garden where he was told not to go by his Mum. He ignores his mother’s warning and goes anyway. Even today children can relate to the character Peter Rabit. The off limits is always irresistible to kids. The plot is simple which makes it easy for children to follow. The story contains a valuable lesson about the consequences of disobedience and the importance of listening to your parents. ( )
  cluttrell12 | Mar 1, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a particular rabbit named Peter. Peter and his siblings were told to stay away from the garden of Mr. McGregor by their mother while she went to get some food.. As soon as his mother left,Peter Rabbit took off straight for the garden he was told to stay away from. He enjoyed himself for a while, nibbling on lettuce and radishes. He was caught by the sight of Mr. McGregor and then the chase was on. Peter was so scared that he forgot how to get out of the garden. He got caught in a gooseberry net by the buttons on his jacket. Some sparrows rescued him and he went to hide in a watering can. He came out after a while and tried to find his way out of the garden. He had trouble but eventually found his way out. He hurried home and fell asleep. He felt sick that night and had to be given a dose of chamomile tea. He missed out on a good supper that his mother had prepared.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked the book. Rabbits are one of my favorite animals. I think this book teaches a good lesson about the consequences of disobedience. Peter Rabbit got sick, had to take a dose of chamomile tea and go to bed early. He would have enjoyed a good meal his mother had prepared had he obeyed. I know I have missed out on good things growing up due to my disobedience of my mother.

Extension Ideas:

1. Have the class write in a journal about a time they have disobeyed and what the consequences were and what they learned from it.
2. Have the class color pictures of rabbits.
3. Have the class make a rabbit. Draw or trace a rabbit on brown construction paper and fill in with white cotton balls using glue.
  spring.rainbow | Feb 24, 2014 |

Beatrix Potterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frantz, EstelleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, RodIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saludes, Esperanza G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were - Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.
He was put in a pie by Mrs Macgregor.
I have been separating the hieroglyph edition from other versions of Peter Rabbit, but it keeps getting combined again. I hold that the group of people who want to read a hieroglyphic version is rather different from average Beatrix Potter fans and therefore the "cocktail party" test applies.

-setnahkt

The Dover Spanish/English coloring book contains the entire original text, translated.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0723247706, Hardcover)

The quintessential cautionary tale, Peter Rabbit warns naughty children about the grave consequences of misbehaving. When Mrs. Rabbit beseeches her four furry children not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden, the impish Peter naturally takes this as an open invitation to create mischief. He quickly gets in over his head, when he is spotted by farmer McGregor himself. Any child with a spark of sass will find Peter's adventures remarkably familiar. And they'll see in Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail that bane of their existence: the "good" sibling who always does the right thing. One earns bread and milk and blackberries for supper, while the obstinate folly of the other warrants medicine and an early bedtime.

Beatrix Potter's animal stories have been a joy to generations of young readers. Her warm, playful illustrations in soft colors invite children into the world of words and flights of fancy. Once there, she gently and humorously guides readers along the path of righteousness, leaving just enough room for children to wonder if that incorrigible Peter will be back in McGregor's garden tomorrow. (Ages Baby to Preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:04 -0400)

Naughty Peter Rabbit disobeys his mother by going into Mr. McGregor's garden and almost gets caught.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0723247706, 0723257930, 0723258767, 0723267693, 072326841X

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676497, 1909676500

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,547,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible