Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

Tale of Peter Rabbit (original 1902; edition 1997)

by Beatrix Potter

Member:TamaraBronson
Title:Tale of Peter Rabbit
Authors:Beatrix Potter
Info:Frederick Warne Publishers Ltd (1995), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Children's Literature

The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (1902)

Recently added bymstinch1, BarbaraConaty, mejerrymouse, LitCouncilCC, private library, Mozumie
Legacy LibrariesSylvia Plath

English (93)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
Summary of the Book
This is the traditional story of Peter Rabbit. Peter Rabbit didn’t listen to his mother’s warning about keeping away from Mr. McGregor’s garden. While his mother was away he went into Mr. McGregor’s garden instead of fetching berries with his three siblings. In the garden, Peter had his fill of yummy vegetables to the point he got a stomachache. Just then he into contact with Mr. McGregor and was barely able to escape with his life. In the end, he returns home but is to too sick to eat the delicious meal his siblings were enjoying.

Personal Reaction
This story reminds me of the way I interact with my children. As a parent, one can set rules for children to follow, but in the end it’s up to them to follow or not. However, it is up to the parent to uphold the consequences.

Extension Ideas
The teacher will explain and play the game “Simon Says”. The winners of the game will get to pick a prize. This is great game to teach student the importance of listening and following orders.
  readcindyread | Sep 9, 2014 |
Not too much to it without the illustrations. The Raggedy Ann stories were better. They stood up well even without the illustrations. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
I remember my parents reading this story to me as a child. It is an exciting, fun story of a rabbit that learns his lesson after not listing to his mom. I have my on copy of this story.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 21, 2014 |
bad little bunny learns his lesson. ( )
  hklibrarian | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is the classic tale of Peter Rabbit, a story I know I read as a child. And now I am reading it to my own daughter helping this age-old tale come alive through the pictures and story. Peter and his siblings are told by his mother when she goes out ,not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden because of what happened to his father. Peter's siblings obey, but Peter wanders into Mr. McGregor's garden and munching on the many vegetables available. Yet before long, Peter finds himself in danger. He attempts to escape many times from Mr. McGregor, and finally is able to but comes away without any clothes, cold, and sick. He goes to bed sick when he gets home, and his siblings get to eat the treats their mother got while she was out.
If I were using this book in a class setting, a couple teaching points I would use are…
- Why it is important to listen to directions and orders given by adults in our lives who care about us (parents, teachers, friends, etc)
- What are things children do that can get them into trouble, and how those things can be prevented.
  brianslagle | Mar 4, 2014 |

Beatrix Potterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frantz, EstelleIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, RodIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saludes, Esperanza G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were - Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.
He was put in a pie by Mrs Macgregor.
I have been separating the hieroglyph edition from other versions of Peter Rabbit, but it keeps getting combined again. I hold that the group of people who want to read a hieroglyphic version is rather different from average Beatrix Potter fans and therefore the "cocktail party" test applies.

-setnahkt

The Dover Spanish/English coloring book contains the entire original text, translated.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0723247706, Hardcover)

The quintessential cautionary tale, Peter Rabbit warns naughty children about the grave consequences of misbehaving. When Mrs. Rabbit beseeches her four furry children not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden, the impish Peter naturally takes this as an open invitation to create mischief. He quickly gets in over his head, when he is spotted by farmer McGregor himself. Any child with a spark of sass will find Peter's adventures remarkably familiar. And they'll see in Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail that bane of their existence: the "good" sibling who always does the right thing. One earns bread and milk and blackberries for supper, while the obstinate folly of the other warrants medicine and an early bedtime.

Beatrix Potter's animal stories have been a joy to generations of young readers. Her warm, playful illustrations in soft colors invite children into the world of words and flights of fancy. Once there, she gently and humorously guides readers along the path of righteousness, leaving just enough room for children to wonder if that incorrigible Peter will be back in McGregor's garden tomorrow. (Ages Baby to Preschool)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:04 -0400)

Naughty Peter Rabbit disobeys his mother by going into Mr. McGregor's garden and almost gets caught.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0723247706, 0723257930, 0723258767, 0723267693, 072326841X, 0723268568

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909676497, 1909676500

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible