This Side of Heaven: A Novel by Karen…

This Side of Heaven: A Novel

by Karen Kingsbury

Every time I finish a Kingsbury novel, I swear to myself that it's the last time I will. She is just so... fluffy, for lack of a better word. I got hopeful with this one when there was an unexpected plot twist but at the end, everyone is happy and a Christian and there is no fall-out from abuse or sin. It makes my teeth ache like cotton candy - you see it all pretty on the cart but two mouthfuls and you are sick to your stomach.

This is it - I promise... and yet she is one of the few Christian authors that my small town library actually stocks so I will probably waver in the future when I'm desperate. Is there a self-help group for being addicted to bad books? ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Good story, a little slow, but enjoyable. I would't say predictable, but no huge surprises either. I think this was refreshing, a palette cleanser perhaps. It was quick - I think I finished it in 3 days, and I was always interested to pick it up again and see what happened next. Have fun with it! ( )
  karen.collins | Jun 27, 2012 |
Wisdom Seekers Book Club Selection for March 26, 2012
  SabratonBaptist | Feb 29, 2012 |
I don't know where to begin. I don't think there's a more unrealistic book out there. Everyone is so 'Christian' and boring. By the end of the book, everything turns out fine, everyone's happy and God has solved all the problems and conflicts that seems so impossibly hard to face at the beginning.
I have nothing against Christian fiction, but I'm not keen on letting my children read this fluff and believe the world is nothing but a pink cloud and everything always turns out as hoped/planned/expected. It's just not the reality. ( )
  yabookscentral.com | May 27, 2011 |
I cried, and cried and cried..... ( )
  JesslynRobertsSmit | Feb 8, 2011 |
... For Alyssa

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 29:11
The pain was a living, breathing demon, pressing its claws deep into his flesh and promising never to let go, not until death had the final word.

"A story of family secrets, broken relationships, and a love strong enough to span a nation"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible