The Perfect Life by Robin Lee Hatcher

I hated this book. I also really liked it and realize the reasons that I hated it were the reasons why a story like this is so important to read. If you have read any of my reviews before you have heard me say that this kind of Christian fiction is not my cup of tea. I'll take it in, but I don't have to like it. Reading this book, I remembered how I felt when I listened to [b:A Slender Thread|64880|Slender Thread|Diane Ackerman|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|62972] by [a:Tracie Peterson|27788|Tracie Peterson|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]. It's close to real life and life hurts sometimes, most of the time. First off my problems with this book, then my likes... The first thirty chapters are a complete depression and drag. I started this book last night, read a little during the day, and finished it tonight. The entire day, I was depressed. Nothing was right, everything was wrong. No particular reason it just was. Katherine faces things that she had never really let herself think through fully before and is ill-equipt to deal with them and basically her body just shuts down. I know how that is, and I don't like it. Lastly, after going downhill further and further for thirty some odd chapters, Katherine finally seeks counsel with God to talk things through. Then before you know it the book is over and that's that things are finished before you have time to process anything and like or hate the outcome. But as I said... I also liked the book. This is my first [a:Robin Lee Hatcher|62524|Robin Lee Hatcher|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] book experience and she is a fabulous author. The way that she brings you in and out of different characters' heads throughout the entire story is creative and works wonders with comprehension and empathy. When Katherine starts to really delve within herself to figure out what she is fighting and faces a harsh reality it is of things that she does not want, but needs to know and acknowledge. I think that these things can really open the door to healing when need-be. Hatcher touches on a topic that many people wouldn't touch because it is too difficult and hurts too much. This book did put me in a funk because it is painful, but that also goes to show how well Hatcher wrote. She was able to make you understand her characters and bring them to life in you. I do not think that in one weekend everything can be hunky-dorey again, but I do think that a door to healing can be opened if you let it. I would really say that this book is something that someone should read if they are hurting and doubting God's trust, existence, or having human trust issues. But this book should be read with the warning that I was given before I first read the scriptural book of Job. You have to read the whole thing. If you read parts of it, you might like it, you might benefit, but probably will only become angry. If you read the whole thing, you will learn things about yourself that you didn't want to know nor see, but you will be a hugely better person because of it and will sincerely benefit. ( )
  cherryblossommj | Dec 14, 2009 |
  cherryblossommj | Dec 14, 2009 |
Pretty typical reconversion experience: Katherine enjoys the title's "perfect life," so she has never experienced any tests of her faith. Suddenly, her husband, president of a charity, is accused of improper financial activities and of having an affair with a former employee. We can all breathe easy, though--the former employee is a nonbeliever and therefore obviously lying (roll eyes here). Anyway, Katherine freaks out over the embarrassment, indulges in a very fake self-torment over whether or not she can trust her husband, and refuses to pray about any of it for awhile, but that's about all there is to her supposed "test" of faith. Thank goodness the writing got better after about the 4th chapter, or I'd be feeling like I went through a total lobotomy. ( )
  erin.e.cody | Jul 31, 2008 |
An accusation of infedelity threatens to break a family apart. ( )
  Spibrarian | Mar 6, 2008 |

Katherine has a perfect life. Brad is an affectionate and caring husband. They are active in their church, both serving in leadership positions. Katherine bakes, ministers, serves, leads a Bible study, sings. They have it all. Then a corporate scandal leads to Brad's arrest. Reporters dig into every aspect of their private lives, digging up the smallest of details and hidden secrets. Brad loses his job, and their finances are ruined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible