The Wealthy Barber by David Barr Chilton

The Wealthy Barber (1989)

by David Barr Chilton

856915,988 (4)13
Recently added byprivate library, MWise, brendanus, habs247, Bart_Leahy, Bethany.Stoever, Al., VintiqueBooks

40th printing in 1993, principles, not budget hectoring
  brendanus | Jul 15, 2019 |
Some say that The Wealthy Barber is outdated. I read the revised third edition which was published over twenty years ago. Times have changed but the words in this book is still relevant for the everyone that wants to become financially independent. If you look at it as your first book to read as you make your path to reach that goal. Although, I have been doing much of what is written, it was still helpful. I would recommended this book to those starting out on their own and don’t know what to do with the finances. He covers not only saving, but life insurance, with a bit or taxes and real estate. Not in depth though, but more as a starting point. Easy and fun read that I would recommend to everyone who wants to a push in the right direction for their personal finances. ( )
  grumpydan | Oct 10, 2018 |
This was pretty much all stuff I (even I) know, and a lot of the details were not that useful because I ended up with the US version somehow (even though the Barber is an originally Canadian phenomenon--they moved him from Sarnia to Ann Arbor), and they didn't give me a solid reason for getting life insurance (which I can't help but feel is ghoulish, though I come from a family that get pushy-backy and hostile whenever you mention the idea that anyone could get sick or get hit by a bus, except when the conclusion is "so what can you do, let's forget it"), and every aspect of home finance is worse than it was when the book was written (rates of return lower, housing prices higher, jobs more precarious, etc.), and it doesn't ever engage with the "fairness" questions even when it raises them itself, but it was still good to have it all like laid out in order. Now if I can just pay off all these back taxes (they got Al Capone) I can start saving my ten percent. ( )
4 vote MeditationesMartini | May 25, 2018 |
I read this book a long time ago but recently read it again. The author introduces very essential but sound advice in securing your financial future. There is very specific guidance on savings, investments and taxes. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is in their 20’s or early 30’s who haven’t given much thought to long-term financial planning. ( )
  sbuglar | Sep 29, 2015 |
Should be a good and helpful read for people just starting out in their late 20's early 30's regarding solid financial advice.

A important read, especially these days with the social safety net in peril. ( )
  jmatson | Aug 12, 2012 |

" . . . quite simply the best financial self-help book."
--Money Book Club, Book-of-the-Month Club

In this new and updated edition of one of the biggest-selling financial-planning books ever, David Chilton simplifies the complex puzzles of personal finance and helps you achieve financial independence. With the help of his fictional barber, Roy, and a large dose of humor, Chilton shows you how to take control of your financial future--slowly, steadily, and with sure success. Chilton's plan (detailed in an entertaining story) is no get-rich-quick scheme, but it does make financial independence possible on nothing more than an average salary.
This third edition has been updated with assistance from the Arthur Andersen Corporation, and covers the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and other recent developments.
Even if you consider yourself a financial "basket case," Chilton explains how you can easily put an effective financial plan into action.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

One of the most effective tools for teaching personal finance basics. It is a new and updated edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible