New Enlarged Pocket Anthology of Robert…

New Enlarged Pocket Anthology of Robert Frost's Poems (1971)

by Robert Frost

Other authors: Louis Untermeyer (Editor)

I actually really like Robert Frost, but this edition is part of the Frost-industry that attempts to transform a really challenging, often really dark, poet into something like Chicken Soup for the Poetry-Lover's Soul. Better to find a good edition of North of Boston. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Next on my list is [New Enlarged Anthology of Robert Frost's Poems]. I am not sure where or when I acquired this little paperback. This compilation of Frost's works seems to be quite popular, since I have stumbled over other editions with exactly identical content, even to the line drawings peppering the pages. Louis Untermeyer wrote the introduction and divided it into eight sections. It provides a nice overview of Robert Frost's life and literary career. The 57 poems are organized into general themes: stories, people, places, animals, and things. Like any gathering of short works, they displayed a wide range of styles and imagery, some I liked a great deal, others not so much. His most widely quoted poems are included among many I had never heard of, not surprisingly, given my general ignorance of poetry.

So this was a very accessible edition of Robert Frost's poetry. The general introduction and the brief analytical preludes to individual or small groups of poems helped give the reader a greater understanding and perhaps appreciation for the works. The downside is that all too often these explanatory passages included quotes from the selfsame poems they prefaced, leading to a certain redundancy and even surfeit. ( )
  justchris | Apr 17, 2010 |

Robert Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Untermeyer, LouisEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The character, as well as the career, of Robert Frost gives the lie to the usual misconceptions of the poet. Frost has been no less the ordinary man for being an extraordinary creator. [from Untermeyer's Introduction]
I'm going out to clean the pasture spring; / I'll only stop to rake the leaves away / (And wait to watch the water clear, I may): / I sha'n't be gone long.—You come too. [from Frost's "The Pasture"]

Here in one volume are selected poems of Robert Frost, accompanied by an introduction and commentary by Louis Untermeyer. They make up an anthology that will bring you numberless hours of pleasure and joy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,712,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible