Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

3,1931821,745 (3.9)127

English (177)  Dutch (3)  All (2)  Norwegian (1)  All (183)
This is the first novel in a series of six post-apocalyptic novels, set in a town in southern California where, one day in November, every adult and older child of 15 or over suddenly disappears literally into thin air, and the town is surrounded by an impenetrable barrier. This novel starts well, with a good sense of the mixed emotions of initial exhilaration, then paralysis, perplexity, worry and fear that such an event would naturally give rise to. Some of the children have special powers including firing lasers from their hands, controlling gravity, or teleportation. The novel moves from focusing mainly on the post-apocalyptic situation to focusing on the struggle between factions of children with various powers, in particular that of the hero Sam and his girlfriend Astrid, against Caine Soren's faction, particularly as the moment of Sam's and Caine's fifteenth birthdays approach, when they are due to disappear. This is a good page turner of a novel, though I found it a little repetitive at times, and I'm not sure if I'll bother with the sequels. ( )
  john257hopper | Jan 7, 2018 |
MAY contain some spoilers (not a lot)

I had trouble finishing this book. I am a huge fan of dystopia type reads and this just wasn't one of the best things I read.

Some pros were unexpected events (like almost any book), some parts I had no idea were coming. It left me shocked at times. The idea of it was interesting, I just don't think it was portrayed as good as it could have been.

Cons were definitely that the plot was all over the place. They had special powers, no adults, characters that didn't add up, unnatural forces and just many things I wouldn't have put together in the same story. I think the book is a hit or miss depending on the type of stories you like and how well things capture your attention.

Overall, it was a fun read and I did make it through the book but I wouldn't read it again. ( )
  nicolelr | Sep 23, 2017 |
This book took me forever to read... =
So, a friend of mine told me this was really really good and he really liked it, and, usually, i totally trust his judgment. But 3 weeks into this book and still unfinished? Well.... i was having doubts...
So, i usually adore post-apocalypse/apocalyptic books, something about this one fell flat.
I think it was the age range... you know, middle school kids are not that mature. It's a fact of life. Ok that's generalizing, let me rephrase, there aren't that many mature 14 year-olds in one place...
...Yeah i know... they're mutants, they mature faster... well still...
I liked the characters though! I did! I liked Astrid and Edilio =) I didn't like that he made you like the bad guys too.... cause i didn't really want to like them... but ones name was Panda!!! What kind of heartless person names a bad guy Panda!!!?!?!?!
Lol, anyway... the story was good, inventive, original (ohmigosh i love using those words!!!) i mean, it was a good story.
One day everyone over the age of 15 just disappearing and the kids (some of whom have mutant-like powers) have to fend for themselves against a rivaling school and insane antagonist (who's.... 14...)?? Lord of the Flies anyone?? That's really what i was getting reminded of a lot. Lord of the Flies. Only.. you know... less weird...
I think besides the age range, the only other real issue i had was the sometimes incredibly awkward dialogue. Sometimes it was really good! Others... not so much... because a lot of times the dialogue didn't stay true to the age of the kids. I mean, they're kids, they're gonna use contractions and slang. There were too many instances where someone would say something like;
"But we are all out of food."
um... i don't know about you... but most 14-year olds i know would say we're.
So, pros and cons, the usual stuff.
I will read the next one, because this wasn't a bad book. Just had some things i had problems with. Actually i'm rather curious as to what happens in the next book ;) ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Hands down the best YA dystopian/apocalypse/sci-fi series I've ever read. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
Great concept for a story! I am certainly intrigued enough to read the next one.
Apart from the sleepless night it gave me while I stressed out about what my kids would do in a similar situation, I really had fun reading this. And yes, it sparked a really interesting middle-of-the-shopping centre conversation with my 14 year old daughter who hasn't read it but had some eye-opening ideas about what her priorities would be if all the adults suddenly disappeared. ( )
  CarolynDenman | Jul 21, 2017 |

Michael Grantprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCarley, KyleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. And the next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Michael Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,654,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible