Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

2,088None3,151 (3.94)110
Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2008)

Intriguing to say the least... ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I only just started this series because I found it in my favorite indie book store and the lady gave me this book for free because I'm practically regular and because she knows my taste in books which means she read this series and that makes her awesome so yeah.

Sam Temple is in his boring history class learning who knows what when all of a sudden every kid's dream comes true: his teacher "poofs" mid sentence leaving them in an empty classroom with no one spewing useless facts. But the celebration doesn't last long once the kids realize that all the adults are gone, but not only the adults are gone but anyone over the age of 15 "poofed" or disappeared into thin air. While there isn't a mass panic, there's chaos trying to figure out what to do when there's no adult to take care of the little kids or who is going to feed them all real food other than candy bars and soda.

Sam and his friend Quinn join a pretty blonde girl/genius (because she takes AP classes at 14 -_-)/Sam's unrequited crush Astrid in finding her autistic little brother Little Petey at the Perdido Valley nuclear plant. After a quick search at their houses they come to accept that all the adults are gone and kids are left to fend for themselves Lord of the Flies style.

When Sam and co. return to the valley where all the kids have grouped to a fire starts and Same bravely enters the burning building to rescue a girl, but in that fire he witnesses the girl summon a strange power he'd only seen one other person do: himself. After that incident the rich kids from across the town come in a take over with some posh kid named Caine taking the lead but Astrid senses something strange about all the kids and once Caine is given full authority suddenly the kids are under a communistic dictatorship and Sam might be the only one to stop it.

I personally love reading these dystopian type novels where the kids are left alone to deal with how they want to rule society because one: kids are not mature enough to handle that big of a pressure and I like to see what the author thinks kids would be capable of and two: I get a kick out of kids obeying some other barely past puberty kid who thinks he's better than all of them for some stupid reason but in this case it's actually a reason based on fear.

Sam Temple along with some other kids have these varying strange powers (emitting light, transportation, speed, power reading, strength, empathy [I think]) and throughout the novel you come to see the potential of power that the strongest ones have. Caine uses those powers to his advantage and allows his crew to do the same. Like any other politician, he uses his charm and smarts to win over the public but when threatened he lets out a power that the other kids don't dare even question and the only threat to him would be none other than Sam.

It was quite the interesting concept but at the same time it felt a little jumbled up to me. I know that Sam, Quinn and Astrid are supposed to be the ones I'm mainly invested in I ended up caring more about minor characters like Lana, Edilio, Albert or even Computer Jack. Sam was kind of boring, his only redemption was the "twist" I totally saw coming and his final battle at the end. Quinn was slightly more relateable than Sam because he was the sidekick that doesn't always know what to do whether he knows if it's the right thing or not and that only makes him human, plus I've got a soft spot for those types of characters because who am I to judge them for making the wrong choice when even I don't know what I would do in that case. Astrid was annoying and that's coming from a girl who was the genius in her middle school. I couldn't stand her at all and I still can't point my finger on my issue with her.
The role of the villain switched way too many times and in the end it turns out there's going to be an even bigger one that's worse than the bullies? Okay...But like I said the interesting concept is what kept me going.

Another thing that I liked was the change in scenery, we got a look at a girl who was alone with the transition happened, we got a look at the kid who took over a McDonald's, we got a look at the girl who took care of the littlest kids and we got a look at the girl who became a nurse in the course of 10 minutes because of an accident. Some of those minor characters I ended up caring more than the actual main ones.

I think the most frustrating unanswered question had to do with Sam's mother. Given it's only the first book I read from this series (I've already got the other ones lying around somewhere waiting for me to read them) I'm hoping it gets answered in some other book. But so far it's good enough for me to keep going and actually finish it. ( )
  Jessika.C | Feb 19, 2014 |
I liked the concept of this story, but I found the actual book to be boring. The story took too long to unfold and I didn't find myself being engaged by the characters. ( )
  eheinlen | Jan 8, 2014 |
This is one of my all time favorite books. It has just enough weirdness to intrigue me, but at the same time not creep me out. I like all the different points of views and how they all came together. ( )
  MadiLeigh | Dec 18, 2013 |
A flash. A poof. Then... Gone. In the action packed thriller, Gone, there is a cold front disaster that takes place in the small town of Peridido beach. This disaster is known as the FAYZ, fallout alley youth zone. Anyone of the age fifteen and over just disapears out of sight. At first nobody really could comprehend what was happening because it all happened faster than what the human eye can handle. So, the solution was to have someone understand that wasn't full human.
In the book the descriptive details made it so there was a movie running through my head during every page I read. They even made me feel like I was apart of the book and going through everything the characters were going through. One of my favorite things about the book is the way the author never gave away anything and instead just gave hints. Not only did these hints make the movie in my head clear, but they also kept me reading. They kept me reading because of all the questions about what will happen next that constantly travled through my mind. This great, picture movie, descriptive book has changed how I personaly feel about reading and is truelly amazing.
  br14rahit | Dec 11, 2013 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. The next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:24 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible