Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2009)

Equal parts fascinating and infuriating. It's a vast riddle enveloped in the trauma of the apocalypse. Grant has created a vast cast of characters to drive his plot, but not so many that they lack fleshing out. The infuriating part was the subplot of the coyotes. They feel exceptionally out of place in this fabricated world. All the humans have a vast array of powers - yet the coyotes evolved (more or less) uniformly. It felt as though Grant had two story ideas that were "close enough" that he threw them together and said "good enough." ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
Hey! It's the kids' version of Under the Dome ... But with powers.

Whatever. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Good idea, but I didn't like the writing. There were too many characters, and I didn't feel like any of them were very well developed. The whole abandoned babies thing really bothered me, too. I just did not like this book at all. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I wasn't sure what I would think about this book at first. Sometimes books aimed at kids are so far below my reading level that I can't take them seriously. They could be very well written but the fact that they are aimed at kids means that they'll be written differently. (I'm still trying to slog through Harry Potter.) If a book has an interesting premise, I'll give it a try regardless of whom it's written for.

And in this case, I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book. It was written for kids, but it never talks down to them and the action was pretty intense. Mr. Grant didn't pull punches and I respect him for that.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I love stories which provide a picture of how people handle adverse situations and the choices that they have to make. I really like reading how people think that children would react in these situations with no adult guidance. It's interesting to see what authors come up with. I think that Mr. Grant nailed it in this case. Kids are selfish, unsure of themselves, and need authority and guidance (although I guess that could be said of adults as well). I think that if they had to forage for food in deserted supermarkets the candy, pop, ice cream and junk food would be the first things to go. Their first thoughts wouldn't be to see if anyone needed help. They would most likely mill around until someone corralled them and gave them tasks to do. I'm in no way saying that people under the age of 15 are stupid, but I think that adults who have more life experience would struggle in these situations too so it would be silly to think that kids would be able to behave the way we think that they should.

It was great to see that some of the kids accepted that they were alone and finally tried to sort things out, but they had to contend with bullies and other forces which thwarted them at every turn.

This was a long book at 570 pages, but I enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I'd heard a lot about this series, and it made me very curious. The blurb sounded fascinating. Leaving only kids in a city, it's a recipe for a good Dystopian novel (and a lot of trouble).

As soon as the FAYZ is created - the reasons why are mysterious - social movements start, and some people (although everyone over 15 has magically disappeared) start immediate to make sure they end up on top of it.

Besides, there is a complete lack of responsibility, definitely at the beginning. They forget something very important when they are feasting in the McDonald.

The fact that there are a lot of very young children now being not cared for and not fed. So, all this kids end up dead

For me, that was one of the cruellest parts of the book. Because even when they think about it eventually (after several days and it is already too late) they don't really feel responsible about it. When, strictly speaking, they were. And this is way before all the killings and everyone's starts dropping like flies.

This isn't a nice and calm read, this book will punch you in the face. Multiple times. It doesn't pretend that people will do good things or even what's best. It shows, like many other Dystopian novels, what happens to society as a certain part of it changes. And that's already before all the freak stuff happens. In this book, it doesn't play such an important part, but it will become more and more a fantasy/sci-fi over the next books.

Gone wasn't my favourite part in this series, it took some time for me to get into the story, but once I was, it didn't let me go and I couldn't put it down any more. I'm aware that from the description it really sounds like Stephen King's Under The Dome, but I like this series better. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. And the next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Michael Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,485,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible