Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2009)

English (167)  Dutch (3)  English (2)  Norwegian (1)  English (173)
Three starts because I am indecisive. I liked this book, I did. But at the same time, I was also bored by it. Parts seemed excessive, rambling and dragged on, when they could have been shortened and made the book far more dramatic. It was seriously 150 pages too long and it just seemed a bit repetitive.

One of the other issues I had, and perhaps it's just how I read it, but was the massive amount of characters introduced right away. I felt that I spent most of my time trying to figure out who was who and picture them in my mind. There are very few character descriptions (Astrid is blonde, Sam is a 'surfer' kid, Caine had dark eyes) that didn't give me a clear idea of this person. Luckily the cover of this book has some of the characters on it that I used for reference. Maybe these things don't bother other people, but when I have a hard time seeing the character in my mind, I have a hard time remembering them and their importance throughout the book. Lots of cronies, lots of town kids, lots of people in general with not a lot of scenes but had the time to be fully introduce.

Blah, sounds like a rant, but I think if the book is going to 550 pages, maybe not dropping all the characters on me at once would be nice.

Anyway, I liked it. And I didn't. Good idea, interesting premise, etc etc. Just a little bit cyclical in some parts, or unnecessarily long and they didn't need to be. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |

s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
was a interesting book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 9, 2016 |
was a interesting book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 3, 2016 |
Equal parts fascinating and infuriating. It's a vast riddle enveloped in the trauma of the apocalypse. Grant has created a vast cast of characters to drive his plot, but not so many that they lack fleshing out. The infuriating part was the subplot of the coyotes. They feel exceptionally out of place in this fabricated world. All the humans have a vast array of powers - yet the coyotes evolved (more or less) uniformly. It felt as though Grant had two story ideas that were "close enough" that he threw them together and said "good enough." ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 30, 2016 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. And the next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Michael Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible