Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2009)

Fun, suspenseful story of a small town whose inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only teens and children under 15. The resulting chaos, and power-struggles play out realistically...until the kids start developing weird and dangerous powers.

Reread for Kearsten's Book Club (from Book Obsession :http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2014/10/kearstens-book-club-gone-by-michael.html)

It's that time again! Book club met last night, Monday, October 27th, to discuss Michael Grant's creepy, disappearing adults story, Gone.

We spent a lot of our time talking about characters, dissecting their reactions to their strange and scary situations and wondering which we might most be like - are we caretakers like Mother Mary? Thinkers like Astrid, determined to try and figure out the science behind the happenings? Or might we see an opportunity and seize it like Caine?

Most interesting was our discussion of responsibility: if others look to you as a leader, do you have an obligation to lead them? Many of the characters in Gone look to Sam, our main point-of-view character, for guidance, due to past actions, but Sam doesn't feel at all prepared to take charge of over two hundred kids trying to survive with no adults. Book group seemed pretty split, with half of us saying, "yes, if others look to you for leadership, clearly that means you have the skills needed," while the other half of us maintained that if someone in a leadership role doesn't feel like they have those skills, it's better for them to decline that leadership role, as a true leader needs to be confident. What are your thoughts?

Overall, we enjoyed the book for it's plot and the fun we had in speculating about what exactly happens to those who disappear...

Already read Gone? Why not try one of these similar reads, recommended by book club teens?

For kids trying to survive in a world without adults, try these:

The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson. When a plague sweeps over the earth killing everyone except children under twelve, ten-year-old Lisa organizes a group to rebuild a new way of life.

Variant by Robison Wells. After years in foster homes, seventeen-year-old Benson Fisher applies to New Mexico's Maxfield Academy in hopes of securing a brighter future, but instead he finds that the school is a prison and no one is what he or she seems.

If you're intrigued by the way civilization and compassion can breakdown in in scary situations, try one of these:

The Enemy by Charlie Higson. After a disease turns everyone over sixteen into brainless, decomposing, flesh-eating creatures, a group of teenagers leave their shelter and set out of a harrowing journey across London to the safe haven of Buckingham Palace.

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe. Sixteen-year-old old Kaelyn challenges her fears, finds a second chance at love, and fights to keep her family and friends safe as a deadly new virus devastates her island community.

If having to "play by the bully rules" (As Gone character Quinn puts it) intrigues you, try:

The Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Following a world war, a group of school boys survives a plane crash on a deserted island and creates a hellish environment leading to savagery and murder. Two leaders--one civilized, one depraved--epitomize the forces that war eternally in the human spirit.

Nothing by Janne Teller. When thirteen-year-old Pierre Anthon leaves school to sit in a plum tree and train for becoming part of nothing, his seventh grade classmates set out on a desperate quest for the meaning of life.

For other great reads with themes of dystopia, survival, and war, try one of these!

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them.

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. While Ellie and her friends are away in the bush, the world changes. Suddenly they are in the toughest situations humans can confront, facing life and death decisions. They are thrown into a world where they find courage, initiative, spirit and wisdom ... or they die. ( )
  kayceel | Nov 20, 2014 |
The cover is terrible. It's the main reason why it has taken me so long to pick the book up.

Oh how I wish this book lived up to the hype, but it did not. I fail to see why so many people like it. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
This is definitely a book worth staying up all night to read. My only question is, how fast can I read all six books in the series? This one ended on a mighty big cliffhanger.... but I DO have to go to work tomorrow... Argh. ( )
  librarymary09 | Sep 30, 2014 |
This book was much, much better than I was expecting. The story is extremely interesting, more so than you'd think of a story where no character is over 15 years old, and very well-written. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I'd heard a lot about this series, and it made me very curious. The blurb sounded fascinating. Leaving only kids in a city, it's a recipe for a good Dystopian novel (and a lot of trouble).

As soon as the FAYZ is created - the reasons why are mysterious - social movements start, and some people (although everyone over 15 has magically disappeared) start immediate to make sure they end up on top of it.

Besides, there is a complete lack of responsibility, definitely at the beginning. They forget something very important when they are feasting in the McDonald.

The fact that there are a lot of very young children now being not cared for and not fed. So, all this kids end up dead

For me, that was one of the cruellest parts of the book. Because even when they think about it eventually (after several days and it is already too late) they don't really feel responsible about it. When, strictly speaking, they were. And this is way before all the killings and everyone's starts dropping like flies.

This isn't a nice and calm read, this book will punch you in the face. Multiple times. It doesn't pretend that people will do good things or even what's best. It shows, like many other Dystopian novels, what happens to society as a certain part of it changes. And that's already before all the freak stuff happens. In this book, it doesn't play such an important part, but it will become more and more a fantasy/sci-fi over the next books.

Gone wasn't my favourite part in this series, it took some time for me to get into the story, but once I was, it didn't let me go and I couldn't put it down any more. I'm aware that from the description it really sounds like Stephen King's Under The Dome, but I like this series better. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. The next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:24 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,994,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible