Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2009)

This book was much, much better than I was expecting. The story is extremely interesting, more so than you'd think of a story where no character is over 15 years old, and very well-written. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I'd heard a lot about this series, and it made me very curious. The blurb sounded fascinating. Leaving only kids in a city, it's a recipe for a good Dystopian novel (and a lot of trouble).

As soon as the FAYZ is created - the reasons why are mysterious - social movements start, and some people (although everyone over 15 has magically disappeared) start immediate to make sure they end up on top of it.

Besides, there is a complete lack of responsibility, definitely at the beginning. They forget something very important when they are feasting in the McDonald.

The fact that there are a lot of very young children now being not cared for and not fed. So, all this kids end up dead

For me, that was one of the cruellest parts of the book. Because even when they think about it eventually (after several days and it is already too late) they don't really feel responsible about it. When, strictly speaking, they were. And this is way before all the killings and everyone's starts dropping like flies.

This isn't a nice and calm read, this book will punch you in the face. Multiple times. It doesn't pretend that people will do good things or even what's best. It shows, like many other Dystopian novels, what happens to society as a certain part of it changes. And that's already before all the freak stuff happens. In this book, it doesn't play such an important part, but it will become more and more a fantasy/sci-fi over the next books.

Gone wasn't my favourite part in this series, it took some time for me to get into the story, but once I was, it didn't let me go and I couldn't put it down any more. I'm aware that from the description it really sounds like Stephen King's Under The Dome, but I like this series better. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I liked this book, but I had a hard time with the age of the characters and some of the stuff that happened and things they said. If they had been a couple of years older those things would have been more believable. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
In a small southern California coastal town, everyone over the age of 14 suddenly blips out of existence, leaving the children to form a new society in a confusing and dangerous world. A good book for the middle school crew, but I found it to be tiresome 2/5ths of the way through. Interesting premise with lots of surprises. ( )
  MzzArts | Aug 2, 2014 |
It was an ok book, in my opinion. It did not have very much action but in the last few chapters the pace picked up and it got interesting. I'll try reading the next book but I might not finish it. I would have put the book down before I finished it if I had known what the time at the start of each chapter was counting down too, but is the most exciting part at the end of the book. ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. The next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:24 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible