Gone by Michael Grant

Gone (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Grant

Series: Gone (1)

Member:mattlevin
Title:Gone
Authors:Michael Grant
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

Gone by Michael Grant (2009)

READ IN DUTCH

I'd heard a lot about this series, and it made me very curious. The blurb sounded fascinating. Leaving only kids in a city, it's a recipe for a good Dystopian novel (and a lot of trouble).

As soon as the FAYZ is created - the reasons why are mysterious - social movements start, and some people (although everyone over 15 has magically disappeared) start immediate to make sure they end up on top of it.

Besides, there is a complete lack of responsibility, definitely at the beginning. They forget something very important when they are feasting in the McDonald.

The fact that there are a lot of very young children now being not cared for and not fed. So, all this kids end up dead

For me, that was one of the cruellest parts of the book. Because even when they think about it eventually (after several days and it is already too late) they don't really feel responsible about it. When, strictly speaking, they were. And this is way before all the killings and everyone's starts dropping like flies.

This isn't a nice and calm read, this book will punch you in the face. Multiple times. It doesn't pretend that people will do good things or even what's best. It shows, like many other Dystopian novels, what happens to society as a certain part of it changes. And that's already before all the freak stuff happens. In this book, it doesn't play such an important part, but it will become more and more a fantasy/sci-fi over the next books.

Gone wasn't my favourite part in this series, it took some time for me to get into the story, but once I was, it didn't let me go and I couldn't put it down any more. I'm aware that from the description it really sounds like Stephen King's Under The Dome, but I like this series better. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I found myself instantly drawn into this book and this world. In a genre where things could easily get predictable, I'm pleased to continue seeing new spins, new tragedies, new enemies, and constant surprises. This was a longer book than most YA, but it didn't seem long since it was so hard to put down that it took very little time to read! There is a definite open ended ending, but it's not one of those cliffhangers that leave you angry or too desperate for the next book. Still, I'm glad my library had book 2 so I can start soon. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I do not really know why I did not like this book. I did read all of it cause I wanted to find out what would happen. A lot of twist were in this book, maybe too many? I think that it was the writing that did not get me loving this book. I felt distanced to the characters (and there are many characters in this book).
It was a very interesting concept. All the adults suddenly disappear but not very well executed. I wanted to try book 2 but when I found out there are at least 5 more one books I decided to stop. Not going to read Hunger even though I have a copy on my kindle. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I enjoyed this story a lot! I started it when I was younger though and wasn't interested in reading more. I definitely want to re read this now and finish the series. I remember it being very very sloooow. But there was a lot of intense scenes and action. it was lord of the flies with a modern city twist. I just enjoyed it and would like to read again ( )
  ChelseaClaudett | Mar 8, 2016 |
Meh. Plot was good, but the book could have been better. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
Wat doe je als alle volwassenen spoorloos verdwenen zijn?
For Katherine, Jake, and Julia
One minute the teacher was talking about the Civil War. And the next minute he was gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

In a small town on the coast of California, everyone over the age of fourteen suddenly disappears, setting up a battle between the remaining town residents and the students from a local private school, as well as those who have "The Power" and are able to perform supernatural feats and those who do not.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,000,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible