I Am Latino: the Beauty in Me by Myles C.…

I Am Latino: the Beauty in Me

by Myles C. Pinkney

Other authors: Sandra L. Pinkney

A celebracion muy bonita that reflects the variety of the Hispanic/Latino culture. The color photos of children and families are warm and affectionate. There's much for kids to appreciate about this book that "looks like me." ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
In my opinion this book was slightly below average. There was no plot to the book it was mainly pictures with descriptions beneath. The writing in this book had Spanish words with English translations "Buenos Dias" for "Good Morning" and "Boleros" for "Head nodding". The illustrations in this book were real photographs of Latinos dancing and eating foods from their culture such as empanadas, tamales, and tostones. The overall message of the story is to sense the beauty in their culture. "Use your senses you will see beauty-magnificently. I am Latino. I am the Beauty!" this message is expressed throughout the text "feel my music explode. Listen to the melody in my language. See the love in my family. Smell and taste my food." ( )
  carolinetownsend | Sep 29, 2014 |
I believe that I am Latino is a well written informational book celebrating the Latino culture. First, I liked that this book contains actual photographs rather than illustrations. This allows for the words to have ore meanings to readers who don’t know much about the Latino culture. Next, I liked the book’s use of all five senses. By listing what Latino people see, smell, hear, touch and taste, readers can compare and contrast with his or her own culture. Finally, I liked that the book teaches readers phrases that are used commonly involving things like food, music and language. Overall, I feel that this book is informational about the Latino culture and uses multiple textual features beneficial to readers. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Sep 24, 2014 |
This book talks about being latino and how you would perceive yourself to be as a beautiful person that comes from a different culture and customs.

Source: Pierce County Library
Ages:5-6
  almagg | Oct 31, 2013 |
I did not find this book that appealing for some reason. It appears to have been made so that Latino children will understand that their heritage is beautiful... The Spanish was used mostly as examples or direct translations from English and it was boring. I would not use this book in any type of programming. ( )
  irisdovie | Jul 21, 2010 |

Myles C. Pinkneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pinkney, Sandra L.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Photographs and poetic text celebrate the beauty and diversity of Latino children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible