Enduring Love by Ian McEwan

Enduring Love (1997)

by Ian McEwan

Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick (Limelite)
    Limelite: Both are literary love stories. Both spiral into violence.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Reader could be successfully paired with Enduring Love for English Studies. In addition either book could also be be paired with the film The Talented Mr Ripley under the theme of obsession or even Border Crossing by Pat Barker

English (80)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (92)
Without a doubt, I regard the opening 60 pages as sublime,so evocative and precise. As with most of "McCabre's" novels, there is a falling off, a twitch away from focus and, sadly, the magic is gone. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
On the face of it, the book hints at love between spouses, a romance in which one side is unable or unwilling to let go of his / her spouse. So I thought before I began to read this unique book. The book describes a perfectly normal love between a man and a woman and at the same time a stubborn love of an entirely different kind to which the plot directed - a sickly obsessive, religious, or erotic romance.

A man believes that he is in love with another from a higher social class and that the other one is the first to fall in love with him and the first to begin following him. This is the case described in the book in the first person which intensifies identification with the hero - the victim. I was surprised every time by the development of the plot and its originality.

I gave the book four stars, although I was deeply impressed by the richness of the language and the engaging writing style only because the author put into the book academic passages and know that those who not found in the field will find them rather dull. ( )
  bookloverreview | Jan 18, 2019 |
A solid novel I will never read again. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
I think I read this book, but it's a gift and I will read it again.
  joannajuki | Dec 2, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Jan 2013; read 2009 & 2012):
- Most lit watchers know this book provides a gusty wallop of a beginning. Natural fascination with human tragedy held me close and propelled me through the early pages. However, it was McEwan's finely distilled writing and the emerging sense of terror he creates that roped me in and would not let go.
- Clearly, ..an eery tale of obsession. This story also conjures the randomness of life, our often fragile and easily unraveled relationships, and how ultimately alone we sometimes find ourselves when facing our demons. Joe Rose's rising horror of being stalked prompts much self-doubt and second guessing. His very real fears immediately spark frictions in his marriage. Much to his dismay (and to this reader's initial annoyance), Clarissa dismisses his worries as paranoia, suggests that Joe is the fixated one, and generally abandons his pleas for support.
- Joe finds virtually no assistance from the police, even after the Roses' witness an apparently botched "hit" on him at a restaurant. This leaves him no choice but to face his tormentor, and torments, alone. From this point, the novels ventures deeper into Joe's mental state and growing panic, which carries through successfully.. And, with objective distance I have to hand credit to McEwan - Clarissa's so easily "letting go" of their pristine love is reflective, it seems to me now, of Joe's similar response to his own moment of decision under fire.
- This was my first McEwan. I already anticipate the next.
[note: I've since read five more of his novels, plus the repeat on this one] ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Nov 11, 2018 |
Ian McEwan's reputation as a writer of small, impeccably written fictions is secure. His gift for the cold and scary is well established, too: among the critical praise that festoons his book jackets, the word "macabre" crops up more than once. But his books are more than tales of suspense and shock; they raise issues of guilt and love and fear, essentially of what happens when the civilized and ordered splinters against chaos.

McEwan, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basso, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Annalena
The beginning is simple to mark.
When it's gone, you'll know what a gift love was.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385494149, Paperback)

Joe Rose has planned a postcard-perfect afternoon in the English countryside to celebrate his lover's return after six weeks in the States. To complete the picture, there's even a "helium balloon drifting dreamily across the wooded valley." But as Joe and Clarissa watch the balloon touch down, their idyll comes to an abrupt end. The pilot catches his leg in the anchor rope, while the only passenger, a boy, is too scared to jump down. As the wind whips into action, Joe and four other men rush to secure the basket. Mother Nature, however, isn't feeling very maternal. "A mighty fist socked the balloon in two rapid blows, one-two, the second more vicious than the first," and at once the rescuers are airborne. Joe manages to drop to the ground, as do most of his companions, but one man is lifted sky-high, only to fall to his death.

In itself, the accident would change the survivors' lives, filling them with an uneasy combination of shame, happiness, and endless self-reproach. (In one of the novel's many ironies, the balloon eventually lands safely, the boy unscathed.) But fate has far more unpleasant things in store for Joe. Meeting the eye of fellow rescuer Jed Parry, for example, turns out to be a very bad move. For Jed is instantly obsessed, making the first of many calls to Joe and Clarissa's London flat that very night. Soon he's openly shadowing Joe and writing him endless letters. (One insane epistle begins, "I feel happiness running through me like an electrical current. I close my eyes and see you as you were last night in the rain, across the road from me, with the unspoken love between us as strong as steel cable.") Worst of all, Jed's version of love comes to seem a distortion of Joe's feelings for Clarissa.

Apart from the incessant stalking, it is the conditionals--the contingencies--that most frustrate Joe, a scientific journalist. If only he and Clarissa had gone straight home from the airport... If only the wind hadn't picked up... If only he had saved Jed's 29 messages in a single day... Ian McEwan has long been a poet of the arbitrary nightmare, his characters ineluctably swept up in others' fantasies, skidding into deepening violence, and--worst of all--becoming strangers to those who love them. Even his prose itself is a masterful and methodical exercise in defamiliarization. But Enduring Love and its underrated predecessor, Black Dogs, are also meditations on knowledge and perception as well as brilliant manipulations of our own expectations. By the novel's end, you will be surprisingly unafraid of hot-air balloons, but you won't be too keen on looking a stranger in the eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

The bestselling author of "The Innocent" spins a tale of life intruded upon. After attempting to rescue a child from a runaway hot-air balloon, Joe Rose finds himself part of a living nightmare of suspicion and obsession.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,699,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible