Enduring Love by Ian McEwan

Enduring Love (1997)

by Ian McEwan

Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick (Limelite)
    Limelite: Both are literary love stories. Both spiral into violence.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Reader could be successfully paired with Enduring Love for English Studies. In addition either book could also be be paired with the film The Talented Mr Ripley under the theme of obsession or even Border Crossing by Pat Barker

English (70)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (80)
Love the idea of writing a book based on obscure case history from a psychiatric journal. Nice little surprise in the annex at the back of the book. Ian McEwan never fails to impress.
  ahovde01 | Apr 12, 2016 |
Rarely give a book 5 stars, but I was/am totally engaged with this one. McEwan's writing is sublime. I liked this book so much that I went out and bought three more of his books. More than a few times I put the book down to comtemplate what the character was thinking and describing. I will remember this book always. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
Great story gripped me from the first page

Love the cover as well on my edition ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
Aangrijpend verhaal van het begin tot eind. Over wetenschapsjournalist Joe en Keats-onderzoeker en universitair docent Clarissa. Over hun verborgen emoties waartegen logica en ratio niet bestand zijn. Als het er op aan komt drijven Joe en Rose uit elkaar omdat ze op het moment dat het er echt toe doet, elkaar niet kunnen steunen in hun gevoel. Een ijzersterke passage: "no one could agree on anything. We lived in a mist of half-shared, unreliable perception, and our sense data came warped by a prism of desire and belief, which tilted our memories too. We saw and remembered in our own favour and we persuaded ourselves alont the way. Pitiless objectivity especially abour ourselves was always a doomed social strategy. We're descended from the indignant passionate tellers of half truths who in order to convince others simultaneously convinced ourselves. Over generations success has winnowed us out and with success came our defect, carved deep in the genes, like ruts in a cart-track when it didn't suit us we couldn't agree on what was in front of us. Believing is seeing" (...). ( )
  timswings | Oct 4, 2015 |
Ian McEwan's reputation as a writer of small, impeccably written fictions is secure. His gift for the cold and scary is well established, too: among the critical praise that festoons his book jackets, the word "macabre" crops up more than once. But his books are more than tales of suspense and shock; they raise issues of guilt and love and fear, essentially of what happens when the civilized and ordered splinters against chaos.

Has the adaptation

to Annalena
The beginning is simple to mark.
When it's gone, you'll know what a gift love was.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385494149, Paperback)

Joe Rose has planned a postcard-perfect afternoon in the English countryside to celebrate his lover's return after six weeks in the States. To complete the picture, there's even a "helium balloon drifting dreamily across the wooded valley." But as Joe and Clarissa watch the balloon touch down, their idyll comes to an abrupt end. The pilot catches his leg in the anchor rope, while the only passenger, a boy, is too scared to jump down. As the wind whips into action, Joe and four other men rush to secure the basket. Mother Nature, however, isn't feeling very maternal. "A mighty fist socked the balloon in two rapid blows, one-two, the second more vicious than the first," and at once the rescuers are airborne. Joe manages to drop to the ground, as do most of his companions, but one man is lifted sky-high, only to fall to his death.

In itself, the accident would change the survivors' lives, filling them with an uneasy combination of shame, happiness, and endless self-reproach. (In one of the novel's many ironies, the balloon eventually lands safely, the boy unscathed.) But fate has far more unpleasant things in store for Joe. Meeting the eye of fellow rescuer Jed Parry, for example, turns out to be a very bad move. For Jed is instantly obsessed, making the first of many calls to Joe and Clarissa's London flat that very night. Soon he's openly shadowing Joe and writing him endless letters. (One insane epistle begins, "I feel happiness running through me like an electrical current. I close my eyes and see you as you were last night in the rain, across the road from me, with the unspoken love between us as strong as steel cable.") Worst of all, Jed's version of love comes to seem a distortion of Joe's feelings for Clarissa.

Apart from the incessant stalking, it is the conditionals--the contingencies--that most frustrate Joe, a scientific journalist. If only he and Clarissa had gone straight home from the airport... If only the wind hadn't picked up... If only he had saved Jed's 29 messages in a single day... Ian McEwan has long been a poet of the arbitrary nightmare, his characters ineluctably swept up in others' fantasies, skidding into deepening violence, and--worst of all--becoming strangers to those who love them. Even his prose itself is a masterful and methodical exercise in defamiliarization. But Enduring Love and its underrated predecessor, Black Dogs, are also meditations on knowledge and perception as well as brilliant manipulations of our own expectations. By the novel's end, you will be surprisingly unafraid of hot-air balloons, but you won't be too keen on looking a stranger in the eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

The bestselling author of "The Innocent" spins a tale of life intruded upon. After attempting to rescue a child from a runaway hot-air balloon, Joe Rose finds himself part of a living nightmare of suspicion and obsession.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,833,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible