Memento Mori by Muriel Spark

Authors:Muriel Spark (Author)
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

Memento Mori by Muriel Spark (1959)

Recently added byjwhenderson, private library, VivienneR, maryclarel, tattyapple, jayzen, chilirlw, Sitting_Room, seite
Legacy LibrariesGraham Greene, Evelyn Waugh

English (29)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
While I was not fond of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, several people recommended I read another Murial Spark book and the most recommended was Memento Mori. For which I'm grateful, because I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The story revolves around a group of the elder, each of whom exists in various states of mental and physical health. I think young people (being anyone under 70, I suppose, including myself) can tend to forget that grandparents and elders have lives and dramas, mysteries and betrayals, friendships and affairs. Maybe this is because we are too wrapped up in our own dramas and assume that live gets quieter as one gets older. But this book is certainly a reminder that just because one gets old doesn't mean life gets simpler.

Throughout the book, too, is the interesting mystery of the caller, who rings up various people in the book (if they are over 70) and tells them, "Remember you must die." Eerie and yet poignant, because young or old, we all must die, and each character reacts to this reminder quite differently. As the book went on, I think I was more fond those who were calm about this message than those who attempted to rail against it.

This book looked a quite a lot of fascinating themes and Spark's sparse, abrupt style worked well. While I didn't necessarily love any of the characters, I liked them in general and found them interesting. Overall a quick and enjoyable read, which leaves me wanting to pick up more of Spark's work.

Footnote: After finishing this book, I can't help but think again about how format impacts the reading of a book (at least for me). For example, Miss Jean Brodie was an audio book and Memento Mori was in hardback. It may be that Spark's style works better on the page than when read. I don't know, but I run into this from time to time, and now I'm wondering if I might not have enjoyed Miss Jean Brodie if I had read it in print. ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 12, 2013 |
Life is a series of strange and amusing events and none more so than the whole act of aging as it is presented in Muriel Spark’s Memento Mori. This was an absolutely delightful read that had me turning the pages eagerly and snickering to myself. Cut through the humor and you are left with a wicked satire on both the aged and their treatment that delivers it’s message in a clear, concise and very original manner. As I got deeper into the book however, I found myself becoming attached to and caring about the fate of these characters very much.

As pretty much every character in the book is age seventy or older, the subject matters of senility, funerals and nursing homes are explored as Ms. Spark’s macabre point of view presents the concerns and actions of the elderly. The plot revolves upon a mystery, as an anonymous phone caller leaves a frightening message of “Remember you must die” to one of the elderly main characters. Soon others are receiving this same message, but all describe a different voice.

This is the first book I have read by Muriel Spark and I admit I was a little concerned as to whether I would enjoy her work, but this story totally enchanted me. Although this subject matter could have been depressing, in this author’s capable hands this unique story of aging eccentrics was both fresh and inventive. ( )
5 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 17, 2013 |
How can you not enjoy a novel peppered with malicious, mean-minded and mad pensioners? The sweet old men and women in this book are frequently anything but - constantly scrutinising one another for signs of mental and physical deterioration whilst remaining stubbornly oblivious to their own shortcomings, blackmailing one another, simmering with old resentments, paranoid, lecherous, snobbish and scheming.

Mis-perception appears to be a running theme, with many of the strongest and sharpest characters seen by the others as feeble minded and inconsequential.

A joy from start to finish. Darkly amusing and occasionally poignantly moving, Memento Mori has left me eager to explore Spark's other work. ( )
  birdsofparadise | Apr 30, 2013 |
My donation to soffitta1's VBB, requested by frutz.

I didn't like this book very much. It has been only a wek, but to me it seems I've been struggeling for ages with this book. Still for me a week is a lot of time to get through so little pages.
I just couldn't get into the book, the way of writing, the story itself. I was quite confused by all the eldery, that were a bit foggy themselves (one of them calls his 'friends' in his diary by other names, one of the characters is making mistakes with names), so for me at times it was not easy to follow, to keep it mildly.

In itself, the subject of aging, fear of Alzheimers' disease, being cranky, watching, waiting for mistakes others make is a nice one. I did read a book or two on that and didn't have so much trouble with them as I do with this one.

I struggled too much to enjoy the book. And, to be honest, I don't think I'll pick it up again to give it another try. Not even in Dutch, if there is a translated edition....

BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I hear the UK TV program had great actors and made it more than the book. The book has good characterisations but not the most riveting read. ( )
  Des2 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Muriel Sparkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaars, AnjoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vranken, KatjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What shall I do with this absurdity -
O heart, O troubled heart - this caricature,
Decrepit age that has been tied to me
As to a dog's tail?

W B Yeats, The Tower.

O what Venerable and Reverend Creatures
did the Aged seem! Immortal Cherubims!

Thomas Traherne, Centuries of Meditation.

Q. What are the four last things to be ever remembered?
A. The four last things to be ever remembered are Death, Judgement, Hell, and Heaven.

The Penny Catechism.
For TERESA WALSHE with love

Dame Lettie Colston refilled her fountain-pen and continued her letter: One of these days I hope you will write as brilliantly on a happier theme.
Remember you must die.

'' "Remember you must die," said the voice on the telephone.'

Dame Lettie Colston is the first of her circle to receive these anonymous calls, and she does not wish to be reminded. Nor do her friends and family - though they are constantly looking for signs of decline in others, and change their wills on a weekly basis.

As the caller's activities become more widespread, soon a witch-hunt is in full cry, exposing past and present duplicities, self-deception and blackmail. Nobody is above suspicion. Only a few, blessed with a sense of humour and the gift of faith, can guess at the caller's identity.

Unforgettably astounding and a joy to read, Memento Mori is considered by many to be the greatest novel by the wizardly Dame Muriel Spark.

In late 1950s London, something uncanny besets a group of elderly friends: an insinuating voice on the telephone informs each, "Remember you must die." Their geriatric feathers are soon thoroughly ruffled by these seemingly supernatural phone calls, and in the resulting flurry many old secrets are dusted off. Beneath the once decorous surface of their lives, unsavories like blackmail and adultery are now to be glimpsed. As spooky as it is witty, poignant and wickedly hilarious, Memento Mori may ostensibly concern death, but it is a book which leaves one relishing life all the more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:31 -0400)

Each of a group of elderly friends receivea a phone call with the message, "Remember you must die." This brings many old secrets to light, including blackmail and adultery.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible