The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town…

The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America (1989)

by Bill Bryson

Series: Bill Bryson's Travels (1)

Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck (John_Vaughan)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (rockhopper_penguin)
    rockhopper_penguin: I read these two books one after another. It wasn't a deliberate decision, but the two did seem to work well together. The books visit a few of the same places, and it's interesting to note how differently they are portrayed in each.
    Population: 485 by Michael Perry (bnbookgirl)
    The Small Town in American Literature by David M. Cook (RedEyedNerd)
    RedEyedNerd: 26 American works published between the 1870s and the 1960s. Poems and short stories in full length, novels as excerpts. They share the small town setting as an essential ingredient. Editor's headnotes on the small town aspect of every work.
    If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska by Heather Lende (bnbookgirl)
    bnbookgirl: most enjoyable
    The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner (Othemts)

English (103)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (108)
I can seethe appeal of Bill Bryson - he writes with a flair of capturing the feeling of traveling - the boredom, the disappointment of attraction not living up to expectations, while capturing the joy of being on the road, going from place to place. Its an interesting dichotomy and this novel captures it perfectly.

Ultimately, I found the book to be dated. No cell phones, off color jokes best left to 20 years ago. But the author is equally critical of everybody. I'm glad I read it- it gave me flashbacks of traveling with my family to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore, when I was a kid. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 7, 2019 |
'I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to'

And, as soon as Bill Bryson was old enough, he left. Des Moines couldn't hold him, but it did lure him back. After ten years in England, he returned to the land of his youth, and drove almost 14,000 miles in search of a mythical small town called Amalgam, the kind of trim and sunny place where the films of his youth were set. Instead, his search led him to Anywhere, USA; a lookalike strip of gas stations, motels and hamburger outlets populated by lookalike people with a penchant for synthetic fibres. Travelling around thirty-eight of the lower states - united only in their mind-numbingly dreary uniformity - he discovered a continent that was doubly lost; lost to itself because blighted by greed, pollution, mobile homes and television; lost to him because he had become a stranger in his own land.

The Lost Continent is a classic of travel literature - hilariously, stomach-achingly funny, yet tinged with heartache - and the book that first staked Bill Bryson's claim as the most beloved writer of his generation. ( )
  jepeters333 | Feb 16, 2019 |
This is the first Bryson book I have read, and I was a little concerned by the bad reviews. However, now I have read it I can see both sides. Despite the book being about 25yrs old and I've never visited the States, it is as I imagine it. The south is depicted on TV as it is written in the book, and the differences between the states in terms of attitude is well discussed. I can see why people have taken offence, but no place is without its bad points, and these should be recognised too.

Not the best review I've written, but you get the picture...worth a read despite being quite an old book! ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schalekamp, JeanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
I come from Des Moines.

he drives through the states,
acts miserable,
eating junk and talking shit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060920084, Paperback)

A travelogue by Bill Bryson is as close to a sure thing as funny books get. The Lost Continent is no exception. Following an urge to rediscover his youth (he should know better), the author leaves his native Des Moines, Iowa, in a journey that takes him across 38 states. Lucky for us, he brought a notebook.

With a razor wit and a kind heart, Bryson serves up a colorful tale of boredom, kitsch, and beauty when you least expect it. Gentler elements aside, The Lost Continent is an amusing book. Here's Bryson on the women of his native state: "I will say this, however--and it's a strange, strange thing--the teenaged daughters of these fat women are always utterly delectable ... I don't know what it is that happens to them, but it must be awful to marry one of those nubile cuties knowing that there is a time bomb ticking away in her that will at some unknown date make her bloat out into something huge and grotesque, presumably all of a sudden and without much notice, like a self-inflating raft from which the pin has been yanked."

Yes, Bill, but be honest: what do you really think?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:34 -0400)

When a native of Iowa returns from England to wander across America's heartland in search of the perfect small town, the result is a string of hilarious anecdotes and biting social commentary

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,159,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible