Die kleine Hexe geht auf Reisen by Lieve…

Die kleine Hexe geht auf Reisen (1998)

by Lieve Baeten

Tonight I read a string of 2-star picture books and was prepared to not be impressed with this one, too.

But I am CHARMED.

I love the shaggy pencil drawings, I love the pointy little witchy noses, I love that the girls only land among other witches (are they living in a completely witchy world, or are only witches awake at night, or are they just extraordinarily lucky?), I love the detail of the marvelous witchy homes, I love the alternating narrow-cut pages that act as lift-the-flaps. I love that this is JUST A STORY. With NO MESSAGE. (Quite a few of tonight's picture books had Messages.)

Seriously, how can you not love a journey that must be paused because "the little Witch Princess needs to pee!" And how can you not love the Boat Witch who says immediately, "A Witch Princess! What an honor! I have an especially pretty potty for a Witch Princess." I mean, really.

PS. I just now saw the Coke cans tied with string to the floating witchy hammock at Lizzy's house. LOVE. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
This is my least favorite of this series. The fold out pages seem like an after thought: they aren't different depictions of the same scene like in the others. The story is cute and the illustrations are great as always. I liked that, as in other books, the text mentions that witches sleep during the day and are awake at night. The best part is when the two girls have to land because the youngest has to go pee. This is the second book in the series in which urination is mentioned which makes these quite popular with the kids. Of course there was a frog in the potty (a bucket) so the child fell off and overboard. Pretty funny. That moves it from 3.5 to 4 stars. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
Lieve Baeten's curious little witch returns in this delightful picture-book, first published in Dutch as Lotje en de Heksenprinses ("Lottie and the Witch Princess"), in which she plays hostess to her cousin Trixie, with whom she embarks upon a magical night-time carpet ride. Flying through the night skies, Lizzy and Trixie, dubbed the "Witch Princess" in an impromptu moment of make-believe, come upon a series of traveling adult witches - a Caravan Witch, a Boat Witch and a Balloon Witch - who each provide them with (temporary) shelter and company, until finally, just as dawn approaches, they arrive back home...

The second of Lizzy's witchy adventures to be published in English by North-South books, Up and Away With the Little Witch has all the magic of the original, with an entertaining adventure story - exciting enough to keep younger readers involved, but not so scary that they might be disturbed or upset - and winsome illustrations. As with the first title, there are half and three-quarter pages which give the book a sort of "lift-the-flap" quality, and a final four-page fold-out that is just magnificent! Highly recommended to anyone who enjoyed The Curious Little Witch, or who likes gentler witchy tales, ala Dorrie the Little Witch! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 2, 2013 |

Fly with Lizzy and Trixie as they visit the Caravan Witch, the Boat Witch, and, most fantastic of all, the Balloon Witch.

Lizzie and Trixie go on an adventure using a flying carpet; some pages fold out to reveal larger pictures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,914,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible