The Good Companions by J. B. Priestley

The Good Companions (original 1929; edition 1929)

by J. B. Priestley

Member:leavesandpages
Title:The Good Companions
Authors:J. B. Priestley
Info:Musson, 1930. Hardcover.
Rating:*****

The Good Companions by J. B. Priestley (1929)

J.B.Priestley's 1929 novel "The Good Companions" concerns an unlikely group of people who are thrown together in a travelling concert party ("The Good Companions"). The character portraits and general style of writing reminded me somewhat of Charles Dickens, and it was obvious that Priestley greatly enjoyed writing the novel.
  tafweb | Jun 16, 2013 |
I read this book between June 19, 1951, and July 5, 1951, but my only comment thereon was on June 21, 191, when I said: "Reading in The Good Companions. I suppose they call it a good book but it is very so-soey. 'Paints quite a picture' they say I guess. So what?" I was moved to read the book because it was listed under "Suggestions for
Further Reading" on page 1261 of The College Survey of English Literature Shoret Edition published in 1947 and edited by B. J. Whiting and others ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 5, 2011 |
Great fun. 'Romp' springs to mind. Unjustly slighted by the fans of great literature. ( )
  js229 | May 13, 2010 |
Set in England during the 1920s, "The Good Companions" follows the adventures, antics and disappointments of a troupe of thespians as they sing, dance, drink and squabble their way from theatre to theatre.

I saw a play of this book at the Theatre by the lake in Keswick a few years ago.
  antimuzak | Dec 30, 2007 |
There, far below, is the knobbly backbone of England, the Pennine Range.
It is the tag of the first higgledy-piggledy piece, with its glimpses of too familiar backgrounds, scenes that are undoubtedly set scenes, and of roads jogging invitingly out of them, with its scattered hints of discontent and rebellion and escape. Here they all are, our people.

The story of a touring theatre company

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible