Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague by…

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague

by Brandon Mull

Lots of excitement as usual! Looking forward to #4! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Brandon Mull once again delivers an exciting, fun adventure at Fablehaven. My only complaint for this book is that it was too long; the book dragged a bit in places. The Lost Mesa chapters could have been shorter and a few chapters probably could have been cut from the plague plot at Fablehaven. Things are starting to get a little bit repetitive too--Kendra and Seth spend their summer at the preserve and save the world yet again.

However, it was nice to be introduced to a few new characters. It was really weird reading about Gavin, knowing that he was really a bad guy. The first time through the series, Gavin's being an evil dragon seemed to come out of nowhere, but after reading through the 3rd book again, I'm surprised I didn't pick up on it sooner. Mull leaves plenty of clues regarding Gavin's true nature, but his faked innocence and youth mask the clues pretty well.

Lena's death was harder for me this time. The first time I read about her death, I was a little annoyed that Mull was only able to kill the easiest character off. Lena has already lived a full life with Patton, and to the audience she was pretty much already dead. She came back for a few pages, just like Patton did, and then she left, just like Patton did. However, I think it was a good way to remind the audience that the characters are fighting real foes. Many more people die in the 4th book. The 3rd book seems to be preparing us for the tragedies awaiting in the 4th book.

While the first two books of the series are full of light and fun, starting with the 3rd book, things start to get a little bit darker. Having adventures is no longer the highlight of the story--the characters are faced with foes bigger than they know how to handle, and as a result, sacrifices have to be made. Miracles are no longer able to save every single person. In many ways, the 3rd book is pivotal, because it is the in-between book that transitions between fun and reality (at least, the reality in the magical world). ( )
  AngelClaw | May 9, 2017 |
Any book this man writes is a literary work of art. When it comes to creating a fantasy world with newly created reasons for whatever may happen, this writer has it all explained and reasonably at that. From The Beyonders -Fabelhaven to The 5 Kingdoms, Brandon Mull has the best tales to. weave. ( )
  MrNattania | Sep 5, 2016 |
  JeffreyNattania | Aug 29, 2016 |
My incoming 7th grader is slowly working his way through this series, and gives them to me as he finishes. I enjoy them, and I have to say, this is the best one yet.

These books are clever, with good vocabulary, good characters, and some simple plot stuff going on that one wouldn't expect. Sure the reading level is middle grade, but these books would also be great for younger kids who are strong readers (unless they are sensitive to scary situations).

I look forward to #4, but unfortunately my son is all tied up with his required summer reads for school :( ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
On a muggy August day, Seth hurried along a faint path, eyes scanning the lush foliage to his left.

Dark times have come to Fablehaven. A baffling plague is relentlessly transforming beings of light into creatures of shadow. Meanwhile, Kendra must play a key role in an attempt by the Knights of the Dawn to rescue an artifact from a preserve called Lost Mesa.

After defeating one enemy and unveiling a traitor, Kendra and Seth plunge into the international world of magic. As Kendra travels to another refuge to locate an artifact of incredible strength, Seth faces another attack at Fablehaven. The creatures there are turning, not falling into evil like the fairies previously but actually turning into shadow-- evolving into powerful and more threatening forms never seen before. Even those creatures known to be resistant to falling are changing and infecting those around them.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible