The Second Tree from the Corner by E.B.…

The Second Tree from the Corner (1935)

by E.B. White

This is a collection of essays and poems, most of which appeared in The New Yorker between the 1930s and the 1950s. Most of them address somewhat serious issues with a subtle sense of humor.

One of my favorite pieces was about a reading ease calculator that the manufacturer sent to White. It would calculate how easy or hard to read your writing was based on the total number of words and syllables. The manual suggested that the majority of contemporary readers needed the difficulty level to be either easy or very easy. When White used the calculator to find the difficulty level of the manual, it was ranked as very hard. I wonder why that product didn’t catch on.

White’s outlook on the world is unique, entertaining, and thoughtful. After reading him, I end up looking at the common things in a totally different way. This is a book that needs to be read slowly and a little at a time in order to fully enjoy and process everything it contains. I would recommend any of White’s collections of essays to anyone who hasn’t read them. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Prophetic, funny, and sad at times. Made me feel nostalgia for a time before I was born. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Apr 20, 2014 |
A collection of essays and short stories, of which the best known is the title story: The Second Tree from the Corner. White was a writer of grace and humor; I particularly enjoy the essays in this volume about New York City. ( )
  annbury | Oct 7, 2010 |
Humor doesn't travel through time well. What I read I found more interesting for the insights into everyday life of the 30s and 40s than for the cleverness of the story. ( )
  raizel | Jun 6, 2010 |
One of the advantages of surgery, to a man at loose ends in Boston, is that it entitles him to a night at a hospital in advance of the operation.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible