dismiss

Was bedeutet das alles?: Eine ganz kurze…

Was bedeutet das alles?: Eine ganz kurze Einführung in die… (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Thomas Nagel, Thomas Nagel (Author), Michael Gebauer (Übersetzer)

Should the hard questions of philosophy matter to ordinary people? In this down-to-earth, nonhistorical guide, Thomas Nagel, the distinguished author of Mortal Questions and The View From Nowhere, brings philosophical problems to life, revealing in vivid, accessible prose why they havecontinued to fascinate and baffle thinkers across the centuries.Arguing that the best way to learn about philosophy is to tackle its problems head-on, Nagel turns to some of the most important questions we can ask about ourselves. Do we really have free will? Why should we be moral? What is the relation between our minds and our brains? Is there life afterdeath? How should we feel about death? In a universe so vast, billions of light years across, can anything we do with our lives really matter? And does it matter if it doesn't matter? These are perennial questions we ask about the human condition, and Nagel probes them, and others like them,thoughtfully, clearly, and with humor. He states his own opinions freely but with refreshing modesty, always leaving it open to readers to entertain other solutions, encouraging them to think for themselves.Nagel is eminently qualified to introduce the uninitiated to the world of philosophical inquiry. Singled out by the Chicago Literary Review as "one of the sharpest analytic philosophers in America today," he has been praised in the New York Times Book Review for writing "sensitively and elegantly"and in the Times Literary Supplement for his ability, rare among philosophers, to combine "profundity with clarity and simplicity of expression."Never rarefied, What Does It All Mean? opens our eyes to a side of the world we rarely consider, demonstrating that philosophy is no empty study but an indispensable key to understanding our lives. It challenges us to think hard and clearly, to ask questions, to try out ideas and raise possibleobjections to them--in short, to become philosophers ourselves.… (more)
Member:timoheuer
Title:Was bedeutet das alles?: Eine ganz kurze Einführung in die Philosophie
Authors:Thomas Nagel
Other authors:Thomas Nagel (Author), Michael Gebauer (Übersetzer)
Info:Reclam, Ditzingen (2009), Broschiert, 104 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:philosophie, reclam, sachbuch, einführung, einsteiger

What Does It All Mean?: A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy by Thomas Nagel (1987)

A great, brief introduction to different philosophical ideas. ( )
  Amellia_Fiske | Jan 24, 2020 |
A lovely, energetically written, simple-yet-profound blast of short chapters on some serious conundrums ... all winding up with a quite delightful sense that, well, if we take ourselves so seriously as to wonder over the meaning of life, perhaps we'll have to live with being absurd. ( )
  Wattsian | Dec 26, 2018 |
VERY basic intor to some philosophical questions. Easy read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
You want I should tell you what it all means, now that I finished the book? So, if I did, you could then say, "That's it? Why should I care?" Or "What does it mean that that's what it all means?" In other words, a meaning found in a book is just a meaning found in a book. That's not a fault of the book, though. Nagel gives this very argument.

I'll admit I went into this less naive than the intended audience. It was written for people who never asked these questions in the first place. I couldn't tell you whether one of those people would find this book a wake-up call to the examined life. The fact that they picked it up in the first place would mean they were already primed for it. This, by the way, is the core of what I call the Goodread's Paradox: the distortion in ratings caused by the fact that readers aren't reviewing at random but are evaluating just those books toward which they are already disposed to find interesting. Someone picking up Nagel and expecting a romantic comedy would give it only 1 star.

And, indeed, my only real complaint about the book is that Nagel doesn't sufficiently question what he is reading into to his observations. Yes, he treats the topics of solipsism and materialism but he doesn't ask whether those topics themselves reflect a bias that could, if not be escaped, at least be seen as an inescapable bias for him (though perhaps not for someone else with different inescapable biases) and whether the self is just that, a bias, which keeps one from a "view from nowhere" (a book of his I promise to return to.) ( )
  Gimley_Farb | Jul 6, 2015 |
Major philosophical questions in a nutshell, just in case you did not formulate them quite like that yourself. One could spend years thinking and discussing any and each of them, but here they are introduced in a very simple, natural and partly entertaining way, for us to do as we please and chew on them intermittently. ( )
  flydodofly | Apr 12, 2015 |

Thomas Nagelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Batalla, JosepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pineda, MartíTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible